Moparts

MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting?

Posted By: Dave Hall

MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 04:08 AM

Does anyone run an MSD box in the heat of the engine compartment of a street car? I was thinking of mounting mine next to the battery, towards the firewall in my Dart, Thanks in advance!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 03:09 PM

6al under the hood for MANY thousands of miles,finally went bad after 15 or so years.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 03:28 PM

I would not recommend it. Mine has always been in the car and we still have problems from time to time with them. If you have to mount it up there I would try to get it in front of the radiator support. My $0.02
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 04:12 PM

Always had my MSD boxes mounted on the inner fenders underhood.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 04:20 PM

Electronic components live longer when kept cool...the design parameters of the circuits, may or may not have been designed for under-hood temperatures. Best to call MSD and ask about warranty issues of installing their devices under the hood.

I would bet that they tell you to install the larger, more powerful MSD units in the car away from heat. The MSD 6 units are all "potted" in epoxy, so they may be able to handle more heat. Since I have never opened a MSD 7AL-2 or 3, I do not know if the circuits are potted or not.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 04:22 PM

My Digital 6 Plus is under the hood on the passengers fender apron.
Posted By: dvw

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 05:10 PM

I run several for many years. Nice hidden spot is under the battery tray.
Doug
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 07:46 PM

I had a MSD404C and a MSD7C unit mounted where the stock battery mounts in my old street and strip Duster, the 404C unit quit at the MATS races after running three years, the 7C was in the car when I sold it 5 yrs later shruggy I've ran the MSD race boxes for a lot of years mounted under the hood, I ruined one by soaking it with water when washing the motor off on one of my old race cars realcrazy No other problems that I'm aware of. The 404C unit had broken wire harness in it and MSD said they didn't stock or make those harnesses any more whiney
I mounted my Mopar Orange ECU box on the radiator core support on the passenger side by the horns in my 1966 Dodge Coronet so the harness to the distributor and coil aren't real long up
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
I run several for many years. Nice hidden spot is under the battery tray.
Doug

I have mine in the same place as Doug's, battery tray. There is an opening/vent in the radiator shroud right at that spot that always blows cold air on the unit.
Jerry
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 10:49 PM

I had a 7AL-2 under the hood on the passenger side of the radiator support for about 10 (maybe more?) years and it was fine from Texas to Wisconsin to Oregon with many hard street miles. I'm moving to a grid or I'd use my brand new spare 7AL-2 and get my primary looked over by MSD. Do NOT use a Pro Power Coil. Get the HVC unit rated for continuous duty. Be VERY sure you do not get in the path of the current, your bones will hurt!

MSD 8251 is the coil I have been using since I cooked the oil out of the Pro power.

After all of these years of mounting everything under the hood I'm going to move the grid inside to get it away from the alternator. That was always my biggest concern with having that noisy box under the hood.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/07/16 10:56 PM

Digital 6-Plus box here. Mounted underhood to the fenderwell up front passenger side where the horn would be. Been there for 6 years and plenty of street miles now. No issues.

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/08/16 09:38 AM

You guys rock! Thanks for the input, there is a space for it in front of the rad support, drivers side. No Pro Power coil, I have the 8251 HVC. This system has been alive since 1998, It's actually a 7ML-2 box for Marine duty. This box, the distributor and coil were in my V-drive boat (440 powered of course)then transferred to the race car. Box was replaced in 2012, just because I wanted the 7AL-3, the coil and dis. replaced last year from contingency winnings, just because I thought the stuff was getting pretty old. Now the old boat setup is going in the Dart! whistle
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/09/16 06:35 AM

I'm thinking you need to post some pics of the boat!

Re: MSD 7AL-2 Underhood Mounting? - 09/09/16 08:43 AM

Here you go... [img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater[/img]
© 2024 Moparts Forums