Moparts

engine balancing

Posted By: DusterKid

engine balancing - 08/10/16 06:02 PM

I have a 360 assembly that I will be getting balanced. Stock crank, scat I beam rods, SRP pistons. The motor will be a street/strip with mostly strip, but will not see about 6500. Is it worth the extra money to have the assembly made internal vs external balanced?
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 06:18 PM

Last time I had this done it cost a little over 500 bucks. Probably not worth it. The other stock crank 360 apps I've messed with, just used the b&m plate, and external balancer with the neutral converter.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 06:20 PM

You have a serious machine. yes, & get a 318 (neutral) dampener. plus on the other end this will let you get/use a good aftermarket neutral converter & swap em later if ever needed.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 06:21 PM

Being a cast crank and the other things that
would need to be changed.. damper and conv and
the balancing cost... I dont think I would..
but if your buying a balancer and you can knock
the weight off of the conv it would be up to you..
on all my forged and billet cranks I always go internal
but I also turn way more rpm than you
wave
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By B1MAXX
Last time I had this done it cost a little over 500 bucks. Probably not worth it. The other stock crank 360 apps I've messed with, just used the b&m plate, and external balancer with the neutral converter.

Just to clarify the external still got sent out for balance job. Which was around 200 bucks.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 08:51 PM

SRP pistons (at least flat-tops)and Scat I-beam rods are lighter than stock. You may not need as much Mallory metal, if any, as you may think using a neutral damper/balancer and flexplate!
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 09:14 PM

I dont think this combination of rods/pistons will require any mallory metal.

BTW, using King rod bearings will knock quite a few grams off.
Posted By: KOS

Re: engine balancing - 08/10/16 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By Rapid340
I dont think this combination of rods/pistons will require any mallory metal.

BTW, using King rod bearings will knock quite a few grams off.

i agree i built this combo years ago almost exactly the same and was easier to internal balance.........
Posted By: dogdays

Re: engine balancing - 08/11/16 09:48 PM

Agreed, those Scat rods are about 100 grams each lighter than the 645s, and the pistons should be around 100 grams lighter as well.

Shouldn't be too hard to do a test run with the new bobweights and see if it needs some extra weight added. If it does, then you can go to the external stock balance, but there'll be a lot of metal drilled out of the crank and if that's the case I'd suggest cutting down the counterweight OD.

Or if it's just a slug I'd think seriously about internal balancing.

Choices..........
R.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: engine balancing - 08/13/16 02:36 AM

It takes about 2 minutes longer to spin it without the external weights on it and determine if it can be internally balanced without heavy metal.

I wouldn't bother putting heavy metal into a cast crank. At that point, it's time to put that money towards a forged crank. S/F....Ken M
© 2024 Moparts Forums