Moparts

Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440

Posted By: Joey Johnson

Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 09:21 AM

Hi everyone. Who makes a real drop in solid roller lifter for a stock block 440? Cam is 650 lift and needs push rod fed rockers and pressure fed oiling of the wheels. Thanks!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 03:31 PM

Crane 66550. Best deal is from Moparts member "competitionwedge" in Syracuse, NY.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 04:41 PM

The AMC lifters from Comp Cams work and are fairly inexpensive. Comp mopar lifter on the left and AMC lifter on the right. The mopar lifter doesn't oil the roller or the pushrod while the AMC lifter does both.

Attached picture DSC_9454 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 05:12 PM

What about the cutaway bleeding off oil pressure..........the Red-Zones I first bought bleed off pressure from uncovering at max lift so I run the Isky solid bodies now w/zero issues..........

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 06:50 PM

There is a limit to how much lobe lift you can run with the cut away type lifters. I run 0.460 lobe lift in my 470 without any issues but it is getting close to the edge. I don't think you can run 0.500 lobe lift without bushing the lifter bores.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 06:58 PM

That AMC lifter looks nice. I use the mopar lifter on the left.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
There is a limit to how much lobe lift you can run with the cut away type lifters. I run 0.460 lobe lift in my 470 without any issues but it is getting close to the edge. I don't think you can run 0.500 lobe lift without bushing the lifter bores.

The Red-Zones were uncovered w/my lowly .680-.660 cam enuff to only have 20-25 psi above 3000 rpm...........

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 11:17 PM

The problem with those AMC lifters is around the wheel. Mopar lifters shroud one side of the lifter so it doesn't expose the oil galley. Those AMC lifters will bleed off oil like crazy in a stock block with lift .600 or higher. In fact, even those Mopar lifters in the photo don't have the wheel shrouded and will bleed of oil pressure.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 11:32 PM

http://www.mrlperformance.com/for-sale.html

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

The Red-Zones were uncovered w/my lowly .680-.660 cam enuff to only have 20-25 psi above 3000 rpm...........

Yes, I've seen problems with Crower and Isky roller lifters in stock blocks too. But the AMC lifters work just fine at .460 lobe lift in my stock block. The Crower lifters that I had a problem with had the oil hole drilled in the wrong location so maybe they have changed the design since then. It can be a little hit or miss with Mopar lifters......

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/10/16 11:49 PM

Good to know............ thumbs
Posted By: Joey Johnson

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 07:09 AM

My cam will be 405 lobe lift in a stock non bushed RB. It should be okay still right? Just worried as heck about which lifters to run and having them last. Andy have you tried those MRL performance lifters? I have your Big Block book too by the way, great read!! Has helped me a lot so far.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 12:49 PM

Isky Red Zones. 0.420 Lobe. Unbushed block. Standard oil pump. No problem.

Attached picture Red Zone 2.JPG

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By 76D100318
My cam will be 405 lobe lift in a stock non bushed RB. It should be okay still right? Just worried as heck about which lifters to run and having them last. Andy have you tried those MRL performance lifters? I have your Big Block book too by the way, great read!! Has helped me a lot so far.

I haven't tried the MRL lifters. I think he buys Morel lifters and resells as his brand but I'm not 100% positive. Lots of people rebox the Morels and sell them under their own brand name.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 05:22 PM

I have Crane 66542-16 solid roller lifters in my stock 440 block. Has a .700" lift cam and no issues at all.
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 05:59 PM

I haven't tried the MRL lifters. I think he buys Morel lifters and resells as his brand but I'm not 100% positive. Lots of people rebox the Morels and sell them under their own brand name.

MRL sells BAM Products lifters as his own

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 07:14 PM

Quote:
Crane 66542-16 solid roller lifters in my stock 440 block

Those do not indicate pushrod oiling.

Crane 66550 are the "Ultra-pro". Pushrod oiling, pressurized oil to the roller wheel, no mods to stock bores required.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/11/16 07:54 PM

BAM Products may make the lifters MRL sells. he may also have them changed somewhat. I bought a set from Mike and they came drop shipped from FL where BAM is.

More info: http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/BAM_lifters/BAM.pdf
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/12/16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

Crane 66550 are the "Ultra-pro". Pushrod oiling, pressurized oil to the roller wheel, no mods to stock bores required.

Sorry, you're right. I completely missed the part about needing pushrod oiling in the OP's post.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/12/16 07:45 PM

Comp has a new sportsman lifter out which is $200 more than the entry level lifters and has the pushrod oiling feature. I haven't used these yet but they appear to be available:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-96829-16/overview/make/chrysler
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/12/16 08:16 PM

The Comp sportsman lifters are also available with bushings instead of the needle bearings, for an additional cost.
I have a customer running them in a street/strip 493 in an unbushed block.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/13/16 01:44 AM

Good to know. I'm a little gun shy about ordering Comp roller lifters since I know that there catalog information is a bit misleading in some cases. For example, the classic 829 mopar lifter is called an Endure-X lifter which the catalog says have pushrod oiling and wheel oiling, but the 829 does not have either. So I prefer to wait until someone else orders the stuff and posts a picture of what shows up!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/13/16 05:12 AM

That's why I was going to ask Dwayne if those Sportsman lifters have a recessed band in the body where the roller's EDM feed holes are machined.

Also, any idea if the AMC-type lifters are available with offset pushrod seats?

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/13/16 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By Airwoofer
BAM Products may make the lifters MRL sells. he may also have them changed somewhat. I bought a set from Mike and they came drop shipped from FL where BAM is.

More info: http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/BAM_lifters/BAM.pdf

MRL doesn't "change" the BAM lifters; they simply have a number of options for what they make.

I look at the BAMs and wonder if the PRO PLUS series work OK in an unbushed block. Those big holes in the bodies make me nervous...

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/13/16 03:09 PM

Quote:
I look at the BAMs and wonder if the PRO PLUS series work OK in an unbushed block. Those big holes in the bodies make me nervous...

They just lighten the lifter.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/15/16 03:44 AM

Anyone ever use these from Doug Herbert? There is no cross drilling that I see. There is a hole in the pushrod cup base that goes straight through to the bottom above the roller.

Attached picture lifters.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/15/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Anyone ever use these from Doug Herbert? There is no cross drilling that I see. There is a hole in the pushrod cup base that goes straight through to the bottom above the roller.

Sure wouldnt/couldnt use them for PR oiling
wave
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/15/16 04:26 AM

Has spray bar oiling in valve covers.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/15/16 04:30 AM

If I dont like this solid FT I just put in my 416
I want to look at the Hughes solid rollers and have
a new roller cam ground with a 110 LSA... or pull this
engine out and go gen 3 this winter
wave
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/15/16 05:41 AM

That's what is in my hemi...spec'd by Chase Knight

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/18/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By BradH
Also, any idea if the AMC-type lifters are available with offset pushrod seats?
Brad,
I ran the Comp Cams 892 roller lifters in a stock 400 block with no problems. They oil through the pushrods like AMC style, and have the offset intake pushrod seat. You need to order 8 exhaust with centered pushrod seat (892-C), 4 intake with right offset (892-R), and 4 intake with left offset (892-L) and 8 link bars for Mopar big block. They have higher pushrod seats, so shorter pushrods are needed.

Attached picture Comp_892_roller_lifter_ruler2.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/18/16 04:01 PM

After 2 failures with the 829's I went to the comp 848 amc style on a hemi & a wedge.They both lost 15 lbs of OP.Restricting the PR's brought the OP right back.I have then in my Hemi for 8 years now.
I also like sending oil up the PR's in the wedge and it eliminated that rare PR scuffing at the rocker.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/18/16 05:01 PM

FWIW, I have three (3) sets of BB roller lifters w/ offset intake pushrod seats:
1) Early IMM-brand w/ a taller body that looks like the COMP AMC style shown above
2) Later IMM-brand w/ a shorter body that looks like the COMP 892s shown above
3) BAM "Pro Plus" from MRL, with a body height that roughly splits the difference of the other two

All three use a .800"+ wheel, have EDM oiling to the roller, and have pushrod oiling. I don't plan to use the pushrod oiling since I've had good luck w/ valve train lubrication after going to fully-grooved #4 cam journals.

All three also have the roller shrouded, but the cutaways in the body are different between the IMMs and BAM. I know the IMMs, COMP 892 (w/ the pushrod oil feeds restricted) & COMP AMC lifters (848s?) have worked OK in unbushed blocks based on the results of posters here. I don't know anyone personally who has used the BAMs in an unbushed block, though.

One difference worth noting is that the various lifter manufacturers are NOT consistent w/ their lifter body diameters. The IMMs (and I'll presume the similar COMPs) measure in the low .903s, around .9030"-.9032" IIRC. The BAMs are much closer to .904", around .9038" IIRC.

My reasoning for purchasing the BAMs when I already had the IMMs was because my RB 452's bushed lifter bores have some wear, and the clearance was (is) on the loose side from what I've read re: preferred roller lifter-to-lifter bore clearances.

Jesel says for a cast iron or bronze bushed blocks, they recommend running .002” clearance. Other engine builders have said they want to see .0015"-.002", and that .003" is too much. Well, even w/ the larger OD BAM lifters in the used bronze bushings, I'm pretty sure they're all at least .003". I did add .125" oil feed holes to the bushings for this rebuild that weren't there when I was still running solid flat-tappet lifters w/ splash-lubrication only.

So, my lifter-to-bore clearance will be looser than most people would run, but I'm not having the bushings replaced at this point. It is what it is...

The RB 451 block I have machined for a new build still has unbushed lifter bores, but they're a bit tighter than the 452's worn bushed bores. My lobe lift is .433 (.650" gross w/ 1.5s), which seems fine to use w/ the IMMs and the unbushed 451 block, so I'm not feeling any great need to have that one bushed, too.

Regardless, just my post-caffeine "brain dump" of the morning.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/18/16 09:15 PM

I have a set of the Comp Sportsman 96829 solid rollers on the way. I'll post a picture when they show up.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/18/16 10:15 PM

In stock unbushed blocks I have used:
Crower (30 years ago)
Crane std
Comp 829, new and old style
Herbert
Howards

I've never had an issue with any of those.

Re: Drop in solid roller lifters for stock block 440 - 08/26/16 03:55 AM

I picked up a set of the Comp Sportsman 96829 lifters. Nice looking lifters and they have the dual oiling to the bearing, but contrary to what the catalog says these lifters do not provide pushrod oiling. So buyer beware, if you need pushrod oiling these don't do it even though the catalog makes it sounds like they do. Still a very nice lifter but not exactly what I thought they were.

Attached picture DSC_9873 (Large).JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums