Moparts

Bumper brackets

Posted By: 70Drop

Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 07:30 PM

Hi,

I'm getting ready to attach fiberglass bumpers to my '70 Duster street/strip car. The brackets are pretty heavy. I've seen before that someone has made aluminum brackets. Does anyone know where I can buy them? How much weight can I save? Does anyone make 'glass bumpers for this application?

Also, what have you guys done for bumper bolts. I'd rather not use the heavy chrome bolts.

Thanks.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 09:51 PM

http://lingenfeltersbrackets.com/

Haven't used them, but look good
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 10:03 PM

Aluminum carriage bolts from Mc Masters. They look totally stock after polishing them. Light as feathers.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD

I have a front set for my 68 Road Runner. They fit perfect.
Posted By: topside

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 10:22 PM

Their website also has aluminum carriage bolts listed @ $2.00 per bumper, meaning 6 or 8 bolts; I don't think you'll beat that price anywhere.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By topside
Their website also has aluminum carriage bolts listed @ $2.00 per bumper, meaning 6 or 8 bolts; I don't think you'll beat that price anywhere.

That's $2.00 each, or $16 for the front.
Still not a bad price for such a low demand item.
I only see several grades of steel on the McMaster Carr website.
Posted By: 70Drop

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 11:12 PM

Perfect! I just ordered my front and rear brackets and bolts. I love the easy solutions!

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/25/16 11:41 PM

Lingenfelters brackets and carriage bolts can not be beat for the price and craftsmanship. Though they do not look stock, they seem to function like stock and once they are hidden behind the bumper, who cares.
Back in 1999 when I made the first STOCK appearing brackets and bolts for a 65' Coronet and a 72' Duster, no one but just a few wanted to pay for my time and materials, now they are made in sets such as these and it is a bargain. Go get 'em.

Now if you want to hide your cards in the crazy world of STOCK appearing, that's another story.

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 01:22 AM

I powder coated my brackets. Once in place they look close enough to stock for me.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD

Jeff's brackets are well thought out and fit great. He also has aluminum bolts available. I have his front brackets on my 70 Duster and he sent me two boxes of brackets which I've shown as many mopar guys as I could at about every west coast track I've attended this year.

Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 05:06 AM

I got these from a guy on here named Jody, JBMopars I think from out in MI somehwere. He was building a turbo Duster. Have not seen him on here in a few years. Pretty sure he only made two sets, he has one, I have the extra that he sold.

I don't remember what they weigh exactly but the weight savings was significant, like 7lbs a side maybe?

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 05:20 AM

were those for steel bumpers RMCHRGR? Look pretty stout. Jeff's brackets are for fiberglass only and if they weigh 1lb apiece I'd be surprised.

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 05:52 AM

The brackets that I made for "Glasses" were just like what RMCHGR has displayed, complete with pencil fender braces and all. They even with stood a front end collision believe it or not.
It's a niche thing for a few and most I presume would not mind a functioning bracket that is neat, price worthy and available that does not have to look totally stock.
Though I'm with you RMCHGR, I like your set since I'm such a sneak. LOL
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 06:25 AM

I have his brackets for my Dart. Still have not mount the glass bumper and brackets yet though since im experimenting with chrome vinyl wrap.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
were those for steel bumpers RMCHRGR? Look pretty stout. Jeff's brackets are for fiberglass only and if they weigh 1lb apiece I'd be surprised.

Yes, they hold up my steel bumpers. They don't weigh a lot even though they may look heavy.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 01:56 PM

We made carbon fiber by laying it over the original brackets. The complete front and rear set weighs 2.5lbs. Mounted the original steel bumpers on them.
Doug

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 05:01 PM

My brackets from Jeff.

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/26/16 06:21 PM

All 3 of our cars have his bracket on them..Dart..Demon and Duster...excellent product..
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/27/16 06:48 AM

I have a set on my Barracuda
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/27/16 08:22 AM

i have them butt havent put them on yet
Posted By: chrisnben

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/27/16 02:29 PM

I have a set of Jeff's for a 69 Valiant. Would anyone know if they are the same for a Duster? I sold the Valiant.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Bumper brackets - 07/27/16 04:43 PM

I have his brackets on the front of my car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums