Moparts

plug wires, top three or four brands?

Posted By: gregsdart

plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:20 PM

I saw Jegs plug wires , and at a 42$ price for 8.5 spiral core wires it sounds like a good deal. Also looking at other brands. I run alky and 15/1 compression, so I need something good. What say you?
Posted By: therocks

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:24 PM

We run nothing but Taylor Spiro Pros.Last set on my 12.5 440 went like 15 years.Still worked great but looked crappy.Oh yeah even on BBs and SBs with headers no melted boots.My kid did run a part sleeve on 7 because his 62 300s headerers were 2 1/8 and close.His were on 6 years when he sold the car.Rocky
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:43 PM

X2 on the Taylors. I like the angled, molded boots seems they 'click' on better than some other brands and have the finger dimples to get them on and off with. No problem with spark at all.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:49 PM

Firecore then MSD..........If they're good enuff for Top Fuel, they're good enuff for anything..........
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
X2 on the Taylors. I like the angled, molded boots seems they 'click' on better than some other brands and have the finger dimples to get them on and off with. No problem with spark at all.

x3 on the Taylors. Been running them for almost 30 years. I like the universal kit--the plug ends are molded on but you determine the length and attached the distributor end. Never a problem.
I also took the white "TAYLOR" writing off them with lacquer thinner (looks much better)
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 06:54 PM

I have used Taylor, MSD.. Firecore would be up
there also being they use them on TF engines that
run mags... I havent used the Firecore YET but I
was offered a set from Rich... but I havent measured
the lengths I need... I went with the big Taylors(I
think they were 12mm) but I didnt like the shielding
on them.. it seemed loose... my last 2 sets of wires
have been MSD 9.5mm(I think thats the size.. could be
10.5).. and I put wire looms on all my wires to keep
them separated plus it looks neater
wave
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 07:01 PM

I use Magnecore$ 10mm on anything with turbos(heat) and electronics. Been tempted to try Firecores, but it's hard to turn away from something that I know works.
Have never had a failure with the Magnecores.
Posted By: Joes66dart

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 07:14 PM

We've been running moroso ultra 40 wires with the moroso sleeves on them for a while now and have never had a problem with them.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 07:23 PM

In no particular order

Firecore
MSD
Moroso Ultra 40
Taylor
Posted By: cl440

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 07:52 PM

MSD 8.5 with the multi angle plug boot.

We have also used the firecore wires.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 08:07 PM

Taylor wires on my small block. I don't like stuff flopping around.

Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/19/16 08:31 PM

Normally, I just use the MSD wires.
I just got some Accel 9000 for the ceramic plug boots, They seem OK, but don't fit the best with my setup. Maybe if they have a custom cut to fit kit where you can specify the ceramic end angles would be nice.
I haven't had good luck with the Taylor wires. Initially they work good, but the covering is pretty soft, and I have pulled the plug ends off some when changing plugs. My headers also seem to cook the taylors more than the MSD wires, but as mentioned earlier, I burnt the MSD plug boot also, so went to the ceramic ends. Too bad Jacobs went out of business, they made decent plug wires too.
Posted By: racerx

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:09 AM

seems like I only get bout 2 years out of the MSD's, now I have the ultra 40's so far so good thumbs .
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:33 AM

Firecore, then Moroso Ultra 40's
Posted By: moparborn

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 03:17 AM

Running ultra 40s as well,no complaints.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By moparborn
Running ultra 40s as well,no complaints.

iagree
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:05 PM

Ultra 40's and make them to fit - best wire out there in my mind
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:24 PM

I bought some summit brand ones for my GM coil packs that I am using. I went cheap because I wasn't sure what I was going to do at first. The Summit brand ones look and feel just like Taylors and are the Taylor Blue color. I have been happy with them.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:26 PM

Those that are only getting two years out of a set of MSD wires, what goes wrong? Are they 8.5 mm or bigger?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
Those that are only getting two years out of a set of MSD wires, what goes wrong? Are they 8.5 mm or bigger?

I've got 5 years or more on my MSD wires.. still
show good... now that I bought a new coil and moved
it over to almost the left fender the coil wire is
fairly long... I will see how long that last..its
about 18" and being its firing all the time it will
be the one to go first
wave
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 03:14 PM

I have MSDs on both my motors. Both sets are 10+ years old and have been great...thinking I'll be changing them soon. I'll be putting a set of Taylors on the hemi...used them before and liked them.
I will only buy wires I can cut and fit myself. Can't do that w/ Firecores.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 03:26 PM

Firecores now, had msd 8.5 both good wires. Had rfi issues with the ultra 40 wires and my progressive controller. Put aluminum plate on it moved it in between my seats and nothing helped. Changed wires fixed.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I have MSDs on both my motors. Both sets are 10+ years old and have been great...thinking I'll be changing them soon. I'll be putting a set of Taylors on the hemi...used them before and liked them.
I will only buy wires I can cut and fit myself. Can't do that w/ Firecores.

Just send in the set you made and they will copy that perfectly. They do make a nice set of wires.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 03:33 PM

FWIW...my dad got a set of Firecores for his 440-6 road runner. They were supposed to be custom fit for his motor and header combination...some too short, some too long.
I'll stick w/ making them myself and not hassle w/ shipping old wires back-n-forth and having downtime.
Posted By: furious70

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
I use Magnecore$ 10mm on anything with turbos(heat) and electronics. Been tempted to try Firecores, but it's hard to turn away from something that I know works.
Have never had a failure with the Magnecores.

I used magnecore when I went EFI but then for turbo I needed to route them all underneath so needed (custom) longer- went with firecore and very happy with them, came built just like I ordered them.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/20/16 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
I saw Jegs plug wires , and at a 42$ price for 8.5 spiral core wires it sounds like a good deal. Also looking at other brands. I run alky and 15/1 compression, so I need something good. What say you?

Don't waste your time on the jegs brand tried them and they took a crap after about 2 months
Posted By: 383man

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/22/16 02:19 AM

I have used Taylor and Moroso wires and liked both. I really like the Firecore wires I have on my eng now. They are for your standard 440 and they fit great as all my wires were the perfect lenth and they have been holding up great since 2011 when they went on. Ron

Posted By: BloFish

Re: plug wires, top three or four brands? - 07/22/16 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
FWIW...my dad got a set of Firecores for his 440-6 road runner. They were supposed to be custom fit for his motor and header combination...some too short, some too long.
I'll stick w/ making them myself and not hassle w/ shipping old wires back-n-forth and having downtime.

I hear yeah!
© 2024 Moparts Forums