Moparts

School me on SB intakes please

Posted By: slantzilla

School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 09:44 AM

I have a '71 340 that is going into my '73 Duster. It has "home ported" 2.02 J heads on it, the standard .480 lift hydraulic Purple Stripe, and Hooker Super Comps. I'll be using a Coan 3200 stall in a 904 with either 3.91 or 4.30 gears. Car will weigh around 3400ish with my fat azz in it.

Right now it has a TM-5 on it and a 3310 750 cfm Holley. I plan this to be just a toy that will get driven around now and then and raced occasionally. Is there a better intake for what I am doing or is the TM-5 a good piece?

Thanks! wave
Posted By: justinp61

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 12:09 PM

Performer RPM.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 01:45 PM

Port‑O‑Sonic
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 02:17 PM

I believe the TM-5 is a Tarantula. In my opinion, that and the original Torker are obsolete. They will work, but aren't the best for that application.

I'd strongly recommend a good dual plane intake, like the previously mentioned RPM/Air-Gap, or regular RPM if driven in cold weather. LD-340, Weiand Stealth or even the smaller port LD4B would be good options. A good dual plane will provide more HP and torque in the range that the combo will spend most of it's time in. A dual plane will be more responsive and easier to tune, especially with the accelerator pump circuit not having to compensate for a too big plenum area..

I did a lot of track testing between a Weiand Stealth and Holley Strip Dominator on my race car. The Holley came out on top by about maybe a tenth, BUT, I have a lot more gear, cam, converter, etc. When I launch and the converter flashes to 5,000+, it might dip a hair below that (on a bad-air day) on recovery but stays above that the rest of the run.

You can always experiment with straight or tapered 4-hole spacers and carb tuning.

Here is a dyno comparison of several intakes. But I believe the Torker II was modified and the others weren't. It appears that the carb was rejetted to optimize it for each intake. It does matter. In my test the Stealth liked the deeper plenum side to be jetted a couple of numbers higher than the shallow side (or the shallow side leaner, depending on original jetting)! Don't know if that will work on other dual planes, but you may get a hint from a good plug reading and seeing if there is a color pattern related to which side feeds which cylinder.

The "area under the curve" is important, which roughly is the rpm range that you'll spend the most time in. "Peak" numbers don't always make the best performers.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0108-dyno-testing-small-block-intakes/
Posted By: killermopar

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 03:06 PM

I love my performer rpm.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 03:14 PM

For a street and mild strip combo like yours, I think a 650 dp would perform better than a 750 vac sec carb.
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 03:48 PM

whistling

Attached picture intakeb.jpg
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 04:00 PM

Plenty of guys in the mid-low 11s with an RPM Air Gap on a small block. The 3310 will bolt right up to it no problem but you might need a high-rise throttle cable bracket and/or a longer cable.

Since the car is on the heavier side and as you probably know, a 340 won't make tons of torque in the lower RPMS, you will likely need the 4.30 gear if you stay with a single plane. My old 340 combo with a Victor intake absolutely needed the 4.30 gear, even over a 4.10.

Conversely, you would probably be able to get away with the 3.91 if you go with a dual plane.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 05:18 PM

I'd run a Performer RPM or RPM air Gap and a 4777 650 DP on that combo.

The TM5 is a very good manifold, good top end power but suffers from the smallish early 70's technology plenum for torque. If you ran a 4 speed I would probably just keep it on there...you could do a lot worse. There are better Single planes out there but on your mild combo it might not be worth the swap in terms of 'real-world' et/MPH. What hurt the Tm5 was it was not much better than the Torker and not as strong as the Victor

The RPM is just a great all around manifold for a 340 where the bottom end-through upper middle is going to propel the car mores than the top of the power curve...really your best choice, or certainly your most fool proof that it will be an improvement over what you have.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 05:37 PM

If I were doing it and the intended use I
would go with the AIR GAP.. it works great in
the RPM range you will ever be playing in..
plus you wont need the steep gear...the only
other thing I would change besides the intake
and gear would be to add a low first gear in
the trans... would be fine for the street and
the few times you would go to the track
wave
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 05:37 PM

LD340 and 3310 750. DP on the street drink too much fuel, and the correct secondary spring will yield good transient response out of the vac sec carb
Posted By: killermopar

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 07:04 PM

Maybe call darthv8r for a cast iron upgrade?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
For a street and mild strip combo like yours, I think a 650 dp would perform better than a 750 vac sec carb.

Especially w/a proper calibration........... wink
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By killermopar
Maybe call darthv8r for a cast iron upgrade?

You read my mind.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By DARTH V8Я
whistling

You are a sick and demented man!!!
Posted By: madscientist

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/10/16 09:26 PM

A Strip Dominator and a thumperized 750 double pumper. Anything else is just screwing around.

Or, you have a fetish of some sort...but I won't mention any names of members whose one desire is to make cast iron dust.
Posted By: rb446

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
A Strip Dominator and a thumperized 750 double pumper. Anything else is just screwing around.

^^^^^^^...this for street, although on the strip my 340 '71 Cuda ran 2/10ths quicker with an 850DP.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 12:24 AM

Nothing wrong with the TM-5.
Posted By: LA360

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 12:38 AM

RPM Air Gap with a 2" spacer

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 01:32 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone! Think I will keep my eyes open for a deal on an RPM Air Gap. For the time being I will stick with the 3310, but if it's a pig I will save up more pennies. wave
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 03:12 AM

I would put a 950 on it. I found out the hard way with my 318. Mopar small blocks go faster with bigger carbs. 750 was a full tenth slower the same night at the track as the 950. I drive my car way more than race it, and the 950 works perfectly and doesn't load up or foul plugs.
Regards intake, I love the weiand excellerator. Excellent street strip intake. Have had one on many combinations. Had one on a 13 flat bolt ons type 340, to a 10.70's Eddie 416 stroker, and everywhere in between. Brother has in on his 9 to 1 360 now that runs 11.30's. Btw, he has a 750 on his 360, just bought a new 950 for it. I bet it picks his car up, will see real soon.
I would run the excellerator, a 950, and probably a 4 hole spacer( like a super sucker) to begin with. Saw somebody in the race parts section had one for 125 bucks.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Thanks for all the info everyone! Think I will keep my eyes open for a deal on an RPM Air Gap. For the time being I will stick with the 3310, but if it's a pig I will save up more pennies. wave
up Good combo big D. Easy to tune. Broad power range.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 07:39 PM

John, this is Chris Johnson's old motor out of his Duster. It went 13 teens with a stick on street tires. I'm hoping with the 904 and good tires to go high 12's. I think that's reasonable.

B3, I looked last night and didn't see it. I was half asleep though.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/11/16 09:44 PM

It was in last month I think. Was 125. If you find the ad I think he still has it.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 01:41 AM

Thanks!

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 09:26 PM

The only problem with too large a carb on the street is that generally with an OOTB holley 4150 is you need roughly 20-ish % of rated airflow to initiate main metering, a good 650 will make more torque at part throttle and the transition will be less of a 'light switch' power-wise. A pro-form CNC replacement body on a 650-700 baseplate would be a nice upgrade. Plenty of 11 and 12 second cars run 650's, Really a 340 only needs about 600CFM of total airflow to turn 6200 RPM assuming 100% VE, the smallish .480 lift cam probably won't pull it much higher than that and it'll be past it's power peak sooner than that anyway (so the VE will be falling off). A smaller carb will also make a slightly loose converter a little better part throttle drivability too...opinions vary I guess but I've been running 340's on the street since at least the early 80's (including a 4 speed W2 headed 69 dart in 80-81).

The RPM and Air Gap are functionally identical, once the motor is warm (from the coolant flowing to it and around it and the crossover heat on the flanges) the manifolds both heat up about the same (IMHO) in normal summer driving. If it was a bracket car, I'd run the Air gap just so I could pack some ice under the plenum between rounds. t oput it another way...I wouldn't pass up a good deal on and RPM to hold out for an Air Gap on a street driven car.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 09:41 PM

I'd also be in the A/G + 650DP camp.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By Streetwize
The only problem with too large a carb on the street is that generally with an OOTB holley 4150 is you need roughly 20-ish % of rated airflow to initiate main metering, a good 650 will make more torque at part throttle and the transition will be less of a 'light switch' power-wise. A pro-form CNC replacement body on a 650-700 baseplate would be a nice upgrade. Plenty of 11 and 12 second cars run 650's, Really a 340 only needs about 600CFM of total airflow to turn 6200 RPM assuming 100% VE, the smallish .480 lift cam probably won't pull it much higher than that and it'll be past it's power peak sooner than that anyway (so the VE will be falling off). A smaller carb will also make a slightly loose converter a little better part throttle drivability too...opinions vary I guess but I've been running 340's on the street since at least the early 80's (including a 4 speed W2 headed 69 dart in 80-81).

The RPM and Air Gap are functionally identical, once the motor is warm (from the coolant flowing to it and around it and the crossover heat on the flanges) the manifolds both heat up about the same (IMHO) in normal summer driving. If it was a bracket car, I'd run the Air gap just so I could pack some ice under the plenum between rounds. t oput it another way...I wouldn't pass up a good deal on and RPM to hold out for an Air Gap on a street driven car.

I have heard(dont know for fact) that the air
gap made more power on the dyno.. BUT like your
saying.. they can control the heat... and I agree
that I wouldnt pass on a cheap RPM vs the air gap
wave
Posted By: Crizila

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 11:03 PM

John, this is Chris Johnson's old motor out of his Duster. It went 13 teens with a stick on street tires. I'm hoping with the 904 and good tires to go high 12's. I think that's reasonable.

B3, I looked last night and didn't see it. I was half asleep though.
Hmmm. High 12's Shouldn't be a problem Dennis. Actually went with Chris when he originally bought that motor ( Thought it had aluminum heads on it at the time? Land yacht ran high 12.80 with a similar set up. Pic = modified 3310 I ran it the time.

Attached picture modified 3310.jpg

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/12/16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By Streetwize

I proved on my 318 at the track, in same night testing( back to back passes) that a 750 was slower by a full tenth( actually a hair more) than a 950. Zero doubt about it.
Brett and others on here told me the results I witnessed would be the case. And they were right.
And I have been driving 340's on the street since 1971. A 650 over a 950 on a modestly warmed over 340 will be a dog in comparison.
I drive my car on the street all the time. And have had the same plugs in it since early last summer, so over a year. That is idling around, stop light to stoplight, and a 70 mile round trip to the track thrown in for good measure.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 12:13 AM

Thanks!

Found it. Last page of second quarter engine parts( small block) section.
Poster named Rapid Robert has it listed
Posted By: LSP

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 01:16 AM

My dad's 340 didn't pick up at all going from the OE #2100 iron intake to the LD340, it did pick up about .15 going to the Holley Strip Dominator, 4000 flash convertor though.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By LSP
My dad's 340 didn't pick up at all going from the OE #2100 iron intake to the LD340, it did pick up about .15 going to the Holley Strip Dominator, 4000 flash convertor though.

LD340.. overrated intake. People think it's the cat's ass cause the road race Challenger T/A & AAR Cuda used them.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By LSP

LD340.. overrated intake. People think it's the cat's ass cause the road race Challenger T/A & AAR Cuda used them.

I know EXACTLY what an LD340 is capable as I did flowbench testing on one, some porting and more testing, and then some more porting and more flowbench testing. It was all included in a post here 2-3 years ago. Gog-gone good intake with some work up to a certain point. There was still some on the table but I didn't want to do what was needed to grab it.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Originally Posted By LSP

I know EXACTLY what an LD340 is capable as I did flowbench testing on one, some porting and more testing, and then some more porting and more flowbench testing. It was all included in a post here 2-3 years ago. Gog-gone good intake with some work up to a certain point. There was still some on the table but I didn't want to do what was needed to grab it.

Flow #'s aren't everything. Just sayin..

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By LSP

Flow #'s aren't everything. Just sayin..

You kill me. Ok I should have also stated that while flow testing I also test air-speeds (most guys won't or can't) and airspeed actually tells me more than the flow numbers do. Stick to your cast iron anchors as they will work too with proper knowledge. Carry-on.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 06:13 AM

DARTH V8Я someone messaged me the other day and asked me if you remind me of anyone. Did you use to go by a different name on Moparts?

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 06:15 AM

You kill me. Ok I should have also stated that while flow testing I also test air-speeds (most guys won't or can't) and airspeed actually tells me more than the flow numbers do. Stick to your cast iron anchors as they will work too with proper knowledge. Carry-on.

Anchors lol. I have a performer RPM air gap in the Garage. Should I be like everybody else and 'chuck her on dare'? Gotta love innuendos. Carry on.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By B3422W5
Thanks!

Found it. Last page of second quarter engine parts( small block) section.
Poster named Rapid Robert has it listed

Thanks again! His PM box is full, sent him an e-mil. boogie

I saw quikmopardan's tunnel ram too. That would be nice for a future project, but not now.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By Crizila
High 12's Shouldn't be a problem Dennis. Actually went with Chris when he originally bought that motor ( Thought it had aluminum heads on it at the time? Land yacht ran high 12.80 with a similar set up. Pic = modified 3310 I ran it the time.

He told me he ran it just the way I picked it up. Maybe he has the Aluminum heads on his 416?

Anyways, I hope I can make this pig run as good as yours. drive
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 11:14 PM

DARTH V8Я someone messaged me the other day and asked me if you remind me of anyone. Did you use to go by a different name on Moparts?

He used to be Ice Eagle.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By Blusmbl

He used to be Ice Eagle.

He kinda avoided that question but there may be another name in his past. LOL

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/13/16 11:48 PM

Ice Eagle -> for my eagle talon which I no longer have. Sold it b4 my stint in Afghanistan.

Darth V8R -> thought it was a cool name. Lil more clever than "pittsburghracer".

What of it?

PS I don't avoid [censored]. Need something, PM me.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/14/16 04:44 PM

Darth,

I used to Have an Eclipse GSX with a ported Evo16G that was stupid quick for what it was....miss that sleeper. I made it as quick as I could (about 22PSI boost) but sold it....before I realized all I had to do to make it go faster was put a 950 on it grin

Just kidding B3....(couldn't resist!!) drumhit

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 07:36 AM

OK, it looks like I got the Excellerator snagged, will keep my eyes open for a deal on an RPM Air Gap.

wave

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 02:15 PM

I took off an air gap to replace it with the excellerator years ago. Sold the air gap.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 05:25 PM

The X-CELerator is a good piece, it's often overlooked when people are looking for intakes. I still have the one off my 340 on a shelf in the shop.

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 07:02 PM

I ran a Weiand on my 340 Challenger 35 years ago, but I don't think it was an Excellerator.

Looking at that I am starting to feel old. laugh2

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 07:22 PM

I ran a Weiand on my 340 Challenger 35 years ago, but I don't think it was an Excellerator.

Looking at that I am starting to feel old. laugh2

Lol

As long as you don't have to stand at the front of the car and turn a handle to start it, your good to go.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/15/16 07:57 PM

the Stealth liked the deeper plenum side to be jetted a couple of numbers higher than the shallow side

I think that's true of many high/low 180 degree manifolds: the deep side has slightly more volume before the runners, which weakens the signal enough to need another size or 2.

Hey Darth! - 07/18/16 05:12 AM

Just to show you I do use on of your favorite intakes, this one is on the 360 going into my beater truck. wave

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: School me on SB intakes please - 07/18/16 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By Blusmbl

He used to be Ice Eagle.

He kinda avoided that question but there may be another name in his past. LOL

He changed his name from Ice Eagle after starting the ridiculous thread about how ram-air was a MYTH. He got shut down and ridiculed.

Changed his name.
© 2024 Moparts Forums