Moparts

track results on slicks..video added

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

track results on slicks..video added - 07/01/16 03:15 PM

Made 6 passes at the track this week on the new M/T 29.5x10.5 stiff sidewall slicks.
Started out w/ a 1.45 60', and ended up going a 1.34 sixty foot, 5.76 at 122 mph in the 1/8. The radials have been 1.30-1.31 and .08 quicker. MPH about the same.
Started w/ 13 psi in the tires, ended up at 15 psi. This big ole car moves around a LOT at 13 psi, lol.
Tightening the front rebound a lot and loosening the rear rebound on the shocks made it quicker. Tightening the front made the most difference.
Feels like the car is just punishing the tires through the 60'.

The good thing is that I went A to B every pass Wednesday night. That hasn't happened in a long time. The car barely pulls the front wheels off the ground now. Surprising and disappointing. Needs more tuning so hopefully it'll get better.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 03:29 PM

You may need more pressure yet? I run 9.75 psi in a 15 x 33 at 3000 lbs. Sounds like 17 or more might work? The clue was the fact that the car moved around at 13 psi. At 15 you are barely stable then, not enough to make them work right . I bet you will see a 1.30 or better on the next outing. up
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 03:58 PM

Needs more power down low now.

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 04:13 PM

Greg...very possible. After my first 3 passes and 2 air pressure changes, I knew the front was rising too fast...so I started w/ shock adjustments. I'll definitely be adding more air next time out.

Brad...I thought so too, so I brought everything in at the hit. Had been running a .2 delay. The car felt pretty good, but actually slowed down. Spun a little and slowed to a 1.37 60'.
That was my last pass of the night...until that pass, every pass kept getting faster. Just need more track time.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 04:56 PM

So those radials do works as many have proven but more pressure may help cos I was killin the tires at 12 lbs at a 1.33 so I too will go more pressure next time and hopefully we will both see quicker times...... thumbs
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 05:23 PM

At least you now have a solid base to test from, no fun blowing the tires off every run.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 05:23 PM

Chip. Nice job.
Do you have tubes in them? That will give even more stiffness and stability to the sidewall.
I have never run more than 14 in a slick with my old car. But the more air you can get away with, the better.

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 05:38 PM

Dustin...EXACTLY!!! I was so frustrated after my last trip to the track, I was threatening Ray that I was going to put 32x14s under it, lol.

B3422W5...yessir, I have tubes in them. It still feels like it could use another pound or better. A friend got some video, but I'm not sure if he knows how to post them on youtube. Judging from the way the car felt, it's killing the tires.
Posted By: KOS

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 05:47 PM

the car sounds like its more consistant than with the radials and this is only your first time out so keep at er probably get really close and even if you dont at least your not wasting your time spinning.... i havent even had a chance to try radials on my new car yet but im sure it will go quicker.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: track results on slicks - 07/01/16 07:19 PM

The car is probably NOT moving around as much as you think. Cars on radials don't move. They track like they are on rails. Slicks move around, so if you are USED to running radials, when the car wanders a bit on slicks, your instinct is to correct it. Before long you are sawing the wheel and the car is back an forth. Try just holding the wheel straight, let back wander a bit and it will be fine. No way I would think that tire needs any more air on that car.

Have someone who KNOWS what they are looking at, to look at the tire tracks right after you leave. The marks will tell you exactly what you need to do for pressure

Re: track results on slicks - 07/05/16 05:26 PM

Monte...I didn't really have to "drive" the car. But you're right, it does FEEL like it's all over the place. It's more of a gentle sway all through 1st gear and into 2nd. After that it levels out.
I was hoping to get back out this week, but the temps are gonna be right around 100° the next couple days. Humidity will be up there too...not exactly good racing weather. I'll wait until we get some slightly cooler weather to try it again. Hopefully it'll come around w/ some shock adjustments.
If nothing else, I think the slicks look good on the car.

Attached picture slicks.jpeg
Posted By: dvw

Re: track results on slicks - 07/05/16 05:44 PM

This pic is a 9.1x run with a 60 1.27-1.29 60ft about 1 car length out. I run 13.5 psi in my 10.5wx31@3350. To me this pic looks like it needs more air.
Doug

Attached picture FB_IMG_1467732999733.jpg

Re: track results on slicks - 07/05/16 09:18 PM

^^^^^^Why?

If it is because the tire is all wadded up.......that is because the car has too much bite.....NOT too little air in tires
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 01:36 AM

Have you checked the accuracy of your pressure gauge? I had a name brand unit that was showing eight psi and only six psi true pressure. Yours may be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to check it against known gauges.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 01:54 AM

That's a heavy car, Chip. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with close to 19-20 psi before you find the sweet spot. Running good! Can't wait until we line up side by side.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 07:51 AM

Hey Chip nice work - I agree mebbe 18-20 range might be the sweet spot. Keep us posted !

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 08:30 AM

No way...........not that much pressure in that tire. It isn't a radial. Its a bias ply slick

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 08:39 AM

Dang I got my wires crossed Monte wink

Thought they were radials, not bias.

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 12:57 PM

Monte, I'm not saying that he needs 20. I'm saying that if 13 was causing the car to wander, and 15 felt more stable, 17 or 18 wouldn't be a bad idea at least to try and see if his 60 ft. comes around. 1 or 2 hits will let him know real fast.

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 04:24 PM

Got some video for yall to look at...

This was my 4th pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1gkL5w48g
15 psi, .2 NOS delay footbraking.
1.40 sixty foot...lifted before the 330'
shocks were...
front 8 comp, 7 rebound
rear 14 comp, 4 rebound
0 being the loosest setting, 18 being stiffest.

This was my 5th pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPldnbvAlpw
Best 60' of the night...15 psi, .2 NOS delay footbraking. I tightened up the rebound on the front shocks for this pass...went 1.34 sixty foot.
shocks were...
front 8 comp, 11 rebound
rear 14 comp, 4 rebound

I know the video quality isn't great, but any suggestions?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: track results on slicks - 07/06/16 06:37 PM

5th pass looked good.
As you put more power in, slow the front end rise and it should pick up 60'

It sounds good 😎

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 03:04 AM

Seemed a little squirrely in the first video. Sounds like the power is rolling in slowly. Can you cut the delay down to .1? I'm sure the slicks can handle it.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 04:00 AM

Well I have seen some awful things in my time but that takes the cake !! What a sad sad sight it is, if I was you I would be totally gutted. Who is that clown sitting behind the wall not watching ???

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, love your car.

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 04:05 AM

Sounds awesome !

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 02:48 PM

Fastmop...Thanks. That's the plan, tighten up the front even more and try to leave on everything from home. Hopefully it won't surprise me and stand straight up. Although the slicks feel like it's not even close to doing a wheelstand. On the radials, if they hooked, it was going up...just a question of how far.

Kenny...I tried leaving w/ no delay and it spun a little. Slowed to a 1.37 60'.

ozy & LAD...Thanks!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 03:53 PM

Let Ray drive it will go faster 😛 Just kidding chip your car has always been one of my favorites 👍🏼

Re: track results on slicks - 07/07/16 04:03 PM

LOL, very true...it'd drop atleast a couple tenths w/ him in it!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: track results on slicks..video added - 07/08/16 01:16 AM

Sounds healthy Chip! I say bring the nitrous in at .16 smile
© 2024 Moparts Forums