Moparts

Leaf spring bushings

Posted By: poboyengineering

Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 04:40 AM

Most are aluminum with a steel sleeve. Is there any reason they can't be made in solid steel?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 04:57 AM

No
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 05:08 AM

Why carry the added weight
wave
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 05:42 PM

If you make them out of steel i would put some grease on the spring eye bolt.They could be a pia to remove if rust sets in. twocents
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 10:16 PM

I'm with you on the weight, MrP, this was a conversation with a guy at work. He's doing a Brand X off roader, and from all appearances seems to be on a mission to make this thing as heavy as possible.
I had never seen a set in solid steel, so I told him I'd ask.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/21/16 10:18 PM

Solid aluminum with a steel sleeve is all that have been out there so far.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/22/16 12:13 AM

My Calvert springs came w/an aluminum bushing but didn't notice a sleeve.............. work
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/22/16 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
My Calvert springs came w/an aluminum bushing but didn't notice a sleeve.............. work

Mine have a steel sleeve that the bolt goes through and the belcranks pivot on.

For an off road rig I'd probably do yellow brass instead of steel.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/22/16 12:42 AM

it has to have a steel sleeve and you must have missed it or else it will eat itself out of housing and home.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/22/16 06:12 AM

Maybe brain fade cos I don't remember sleeves being there and it`s been a while since I had the leafs completely out....... work
Posted By: moparx

Re: Leaf spring bushings - 06/22/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
it has to have a steel sleeve and you must have missed it or else it will eat itself out of housing and home.

and if it doesn't do that, once galvanic corrosion sets in, the bolt will weld itself to the bushing, making a real treat to remove. i have learned many new words over the years dealing with this issue. it's not so or too bad when there is more than .020-.030 clearance between the bolt shank and the bushing hole, but that just accelerates the hole wear. when you get the slop out of the bushing [as it should be to be effective], that allows the two dissimilar metals to corrode together locking them solid. then the fun begins. and even using a sleeve, anti-seize or high pressure grease is a must for best performance.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums