Moparts

and you though hemis were expensive to build......

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 03:21 AM

eek
http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/ebay-find-a-never-used-all-aluminum-30000-zl-1-chevy-bare-block/
Posted By: jughed

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 03:43 AM

it'll sell...remember, only us MoPar guys are too 'cheap' to buy pricey blocks stirthepot
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 03:53 AM

Some guy with a legit or not so legit 69'Camaro or one of the two Vette's that came with such a beast will spring for it.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 03:43 PM

Anything that's old school/resto is probably going to bring big bucks, if it's legit & not been repaired multiple times. Original Cammer parts are high too.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 04:41 PM

A buddy of mine saw a Yenko Nova for sale on a side street in Stamford CT back in the mid 70s. He stopped to inquire. The engine was in the guys garage apart, and had some main bearing issues. My buddy checked it out, realized the block was aluminum, and thought "No way, its going to be hard to fix this thing it'll probably keep having main bearing issues, who the heck would want an aluminum block?"
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 07:04 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted laugh
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 11:48 PM

That block would never have come in anything from the factory. Yenko had those blocks cast to put in his cars after GM stopped casting Zl-1 blocks, or were sold through his parts business. So the only car that block is CORRECT for is a Yenko car, 70 or later
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/16/16 11:54 PM

corrected.
Good point. Never thought of the YENKO signage.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/17/16 02:29 AM

I bet there was some aluminum stuff left over from the Can-Am programs. The shop that built the engines for Shadow(and probably some others) was right down the street from me. It's now some hole in the wall, bottom dollar shop catering to the Hispanic immigrant crowd. S/F....Ken M
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/17/16 02:43 AM

I know a guy that knows a guy with one of these blocks sitting in his basement. It also has spun main bearing problems.
And it is absolutely true that the less existing parts there are, the more someone will pay. The better the condition, the more moola you'll fetch. I had people fighting to pay $4000 for an old BMX bike frame. Small availability = big bux!
Posted By: dogdays

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/17/16 07:19 PM

I passed on a Yenko Nova while I was in college. $2500. IIRC it had been turned into a drag machine. I didn't have the $$$. Also passed on a '59 Corvette for $2000, had been a FI car. Again, no money.

The writeup is wrong. This block has iron sleeves and the big Can-Am engines were cast from Reynolds 390 hypereutectic aluminum, same as the Vega block. I wouldn't be surprised if the Can-Am blocks were proof of principle for Chevy Engineering.

This block is new, has no spun bearings, etc. It'll sell. Shoot, when a high quality paint job costs 20K, the block looks downright reasonable.

R.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/17/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
I know a guy that knows a guy with one of these blocks sitting in his basement. It also has spun main bearing problems.
And it is absolutely true that the less existing parts there are, the more someone will pay. The better the condition, the more moola you'll fetch. I had people fighting to pay $4000 for an old BMX bike frame. Small availability = big bux!

What BMX frame trendz?
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: and you though hemis were expensive to build...... - 06/17/16 09:24 PM

The earliest Haro Freestyler #zt 0007
© 2024 Moparts Forums