Moparts

B1 ROCKER QUESTION

Posted By: LA360

B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/13/16 11:28 PM

Can anyone confirm if the cast Rocker covers clear the T&D or Jesel individual paired shaft rockers? A friend is looking to upgrade from the single shaft units, I'm making billet covers for him and need to know if they need to be taller.
Thanks in advance
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/13/16 11:49 PM

I have the older heavier B1 valvcovers and they do clear the Jesel rockers, the B1/Indy style cover wont clear, the rockers are closer to the intake side of the head and need a kinda offset to clear the rocker.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/14/16 12:24 AM

They do NOT clear the T&D's 1.7 or 1.8 ratio. I had Billet fab valve covers with the rail offset to the inside. The cast covers hit by .100 to .120. Hope this helps you. Cant wait to see the billet B1 covers!

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/14/16 12:52 AM

The covers he has now are the old B1 first generation covers. I did CAD based off those and machined a pair only to find out they may not clear.

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/14/16 05:23 PM

The first gen B1 covers were wider but short. 1/2" taller should provide plenty of height. If I recall correctly the 1st gen covers required minor grinding to clear, heavier on the ends. The newer covers hit the full length. .150"-.200 offset toward the valley should provide enough clearance.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/15/16 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By Cheatham
I have the older heavier B1 valvcovers and they do clear the Jesel rockers, the B1/Indy style cover wont clear, the rockers are closer to the intake side of the head and need a kinda offset to clear the rocker.
I did have to clearance my older V/Cs some, i had a pair of Fabbd covers and no way would they or could have been butchered to work, I hear that Fabbed covers can be made for B1s with the Jesel or TD paired rocker set up

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 01:42 AM

I may push the inner rail out a little to be on the safe side. I have revised the CAD to make these taller and changed the shape

Attached picture 20160613_190729.jpg
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 03:16 AM

Not to hijack Alan's post but he is making a set of these billet covers for my B1-MC's. I have a set of William's fabricated aluminum covers that were ordered for the B1-MC's and T&D paired rockers that I will be selling once I get my covers from Alan.

Attached picture Williams B1 Valve Covers.JPG

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 04:13 AM

That's some beautiful work Alan!

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 08:37 AM

I'm not 100% happy with them, but the revised units will look much better

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 03:47 PM

Not to tell you how to design but I would make the inside of the outer wall flush with the VC rail on the inside of the head. If you run B1's, you know they hold oil and it would be one less place for it to collect and sit. Less surprises when you take the covers off.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By Plumb Wired
Not to hijack Alan's post but he is making a set of these billet covers for my B1-MC's. I have a set of William's fabricated aluminum covers that were ordered for the B1-MC's and T&D paired rockers that I will be selling once I get my covers from Alan.

Those being reversed lip covers will be wider but
the inside of the rail can hit things... so can the
gasket... on my SB with TD and the MP cast covers I
had to notch all of the PR areas and I forgt if I had
to clearance the spring areas... but over all I like the
reverse lip covers.... when I started to build my B1 M/C
engine I never bought covers(wasnt to that point yet)
then I sold all of it
wave
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 05:30 PM

I have had to notch every B1 cover we have run to clear the T&D rockers. The one exception being the old style cast B1 covers that they no longer made, they made a short and tall version of those FWIW.

I am in need of two sets of B1 sheet metal covers once again as we have a couple new engines wrapping up soon. Love to hear more about the ones you are doing.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
I have had to notch every B1 cover we have run to clear the T&D rockers. The one exception being the old style cast B1 covers that they no longer made, they made a short and tall version of those FWIW.

I am in need of two sets of B1 sheet metal covers once again as we have a couple new engines wrapping up soon. Love to hear more about the ones you are doing.
ME TOO thumbs
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 08:03 PM

Mike if those are Williams covers boy have they changed. We ordered a set about 18 months ago that look nothing like that.

These were both purchased late 2014. Oh yeah ignore those t handles and orange cap smile One set MC one Orig

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 09:12 PM

Al, they are Williams covers. I ordered them as the scalloped bolt hole design like in your pic then after waiting several weeks they came in as the through bolt design which I do not like. The pic isn't from a good angle but they look just like the ones in your pic with the exception of the bolt holes.

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/22/16 09:29 PM

Inside rail to rail is 4.14"
Inside height is 2.975" but only in the center section on the Williams covers in my pic.

Attached picture IMG_5503.jpg

Re: B1 ROCKER QUESTION - 06/23/16 01:04 AM

Going off my CAD, inside the rails 4.31"

Internal height will be the same
© 2024 Moparts Forums