Moparts

Solid roller cam in a magnum block

Posted By: fast68plymouth

Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 03:13 AM

I have a customer who's looking to put a solid roller cam in a stroker small block that will be built from a magnum block.

Anyone know what lifters are the best fit, and just how much grinding is required to get them to work?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 03:50 AM

Check these ones out and give him a call. I just bought a set for a 360 I am building and a test fit showed them sliding right in but I have an LA block (old style). I used the comps on my last build and had to do LOTS of grinding.

http://www.mrlperformance.com/
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 04:30 AM

MRLs in my Magnum 408, drp right in.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 06:23 PM

just to add...Magnum blocks don't oil trough the deck....you may need push rod oiling or have to modify the block for deck oiling.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 07:15 PM

I've done a couple motors with the MRL's and they look like they should clear but it's been a while since I had a Magnum block in front of me.

They will pushrod oil with no problem so they should be a good fit for the Magnum heads. In fact on my 59 degree 70 340 block I've restricted about 95% of the oil through the block. the .815 diameter rollers with direct oiling are a nice feature plus they are strong and light. I replaced a set of Morels on my 414 with the MRL's and they were about 3 ounces PER PAIR lighter.

Here's a pic, they look like they'll have plenty of top side clearance.

Attached picture FullSizeRender.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 07:18 PM

The block in question still has the oil feed holes for the LA style heads.

Thanks for the responses....... Sounds like the MRL's will get the job done.
Posted By: BPE

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/04/16 07:20 PM

Comp 8043's will clear in a magnum block without grinding.

Rod
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 01:09 AM

Yes, in my magnum lunati,s needed grinding, not the comp ones....

Dan
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 02:54 AM

Magnum blocks from 92-95 still have the oil feed hole in the deck for LA heads, 96 to 2003 would have to be drilled.

MRL lifters will clear no problem in a magnum block I am running them in my 410 magnum stroker.
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By slammedR/T
Magnum blocks from 92-95 still have the oil feed hole in the deck for LA heads

Is this a 'for sure' cause.. that'll save me from one ginormous headache.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 04:06 AM

My 92 date code 360 magnum block I put into my fathers 1990 ramcharger has the oil feed hole. The 95 date code magnum block I'm currently using for my 410 stroker has the oil feed hole. the stock 2000 date code magnum block I had doesn't have the feed but a machine shop should have no issue drilling the feed hole by using a head gasket as a reference.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 04:44 AM

I have only seen a few early ones with it, no ryme or reason to it, I have a 93 5.9 without it. I have a friend that has a 97 with it, that is by far the latest one I seen.

It will take an above average machine shop, it needs a real long skinney bit and it has a weird angle on two planes and the target hole in the cam bearing is not big.
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Solid roller cam in a magnum block - 05/05/16 04:54 AM

Yes, 93-94 blocks retained the LA oil feeds....that makes them desirable around here

Dan
'67 Barracuda
408ci
© 2024 Moparts Forums