Moparts

Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 02:19 PM

Thought I'd share some pics of my Ray Barton hemi intake manifold that I had ported by sixpackgut. He did an awesome job on it! up beer
After I got it back from him, I had a local shop (Hoyt's in Conway, SC) powdercoat it for me since it was looking kinda rough. Always had some oxidation on it that I could never get rid of. I was worried about how it would come out since I had one coated in the past (not by Hoyt's) and the color was not what it was intended to be at all. I guess it's harder to get a raw aluminum finish than you'd think? Anyways, it turned out great and I can't wait to bolt it back on...this afternoon after work I hope.
Hopefully get some track results in the next week or 2 also. Looking for an 8.8x timeslip. drive

here it is unported...just some light blending I'd done w/ a cartridge roll when I built the motor.

Attached picture unported.jpeg

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 02:20 PM

here it is ported...

Attached picture ported 3.jpeg
Attached picture ported 2.jpeg
Attached picture ported 1.jpeg

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 02:21 PM

here is before and after the powdercoating...it looks kinda sparkly in the pic b/c of the lighting and the texture of the aluminum. Doesn't really look like that in person.

Attached picture uncoated.jpeg
Attached picture coated.jpeg

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 02:26 PM

another after coating

Attached picture coated 2.jpeg
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 02:53 PM

Looks great...The quest for faster speed & quicker et's never end !!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 03:28 PM

4.5 hours of non stop metal removal hardly shows up in the pictures. I hope it goes faster
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 04:21 PM

Chip, you have done an outstanding job with that car over the years.
Sure runs excellent. You should be proud. Hope the intake work picks it up even more
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
4.5 hours of non stop metal removal hardly shows up in the pictures. I hope it goes faster

I hear ya man, dollar per hr. don`t always add up sometimes........looks good guys........... thumbs
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 04:47 PM

Purdy! Sixpackgut does some nice work thumbs

Are you going to put it together with those Fel-Pro's on the bench?

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 05:05 PM

Thanks everybody! I have no doubt it'll run better.

Originally Posted By B3422W5
Chip, you have done an outstanding job with that car over the years.
Sure runs excellent. You should be proud. Hope the intake work picks it up even more

Thanks Don, I really appreciate that! beer

Ray does very nice work and has an excellent reputation for making power around here.

roadhazard...nope, I have a pair of your gaskets for it. up The Fel-Pros were for a 434" sb chevy I finished up last week, customer supplied the parts. It went on the dyno at "The" Kevin Mullins' shop yesterday.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/22/16 05:18 PM

Loving it Chip. - other than a port match I left mine as is internally for now but had it hydroblasted and looks mint.

Oil, fuel etc just wipes off and it always looks better than new.

Hope the Cuda picks it up a tad !
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 03:09 AM

Never owned the Barton in a 4500, are the runners the same size as the Barton 4150?

I switched from the Indy small runner intake on my old 484, to the new large runner Indy in a 4500 for my 605, and there is probably twice the volume of the runners...You might want to try one...dunno

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 03:18 AM

When you firing up the 605?

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
When you firing up the 605?

Not to hijack....

But finished it up today, but we race tomorrow, and I have to help on a customers car at the track...So it goes in the car next Saturday for a fire up...Usually only takes a few hours to put it in and get it fired up...Last time we did it in an hour and a half and had it running before lunch. It has the carb you did for me sitting on it, and my fiber glass shaker hood showed up today. Super interested to see if the custom hood clears the dominator, it should...Need a set of Hoosier QTP's and car is good to go. Can't wait to hear it run again.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 05:43 AM

Looks real nice, Chip. Hope it picks up for you.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 05:49 AM

Looks great Chip. Love the color of the powder coat as well.

I too am impressed with how far and well you have progressed with your Cuda. shock up
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/23/16 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda

roadhazard...nope, I have a pair of your gaskets for it. up The Fel-Pros were for a 434" sb chevy I finished up last week, customer supplied the parts. It went on the dyno at "The" Kevin Mullins' shop yesterday.

Whew! Had me nervous for a minute there laugh2

Post up some flicks when that bad boy is installed!

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/27/16 05:05 PM

Thanks yall, much appreciated! beer

Dragula...I've posted here many times about my testing w/ the big Indy 426-4. I've run all 3 of the 4500 single plane manifolds on this motor and the Barton ran the best. The big Indy -4 makes the most power up top, but lost so much lowend grunt that it could never ET better than the Barton. The 60 foot was half a tenth slow w/ the Indy -4 compared to the Barton or Indy -3. The Indy -3 has good lowend, but the topend suffers b/c the plenum and runners are so small. The Barton manifold is the perfect combination of runner and plenum volume for my combo.
Now that I'm running nitrous, I'd bet the Indy -4 would be better when spraying it since nitrous loves big plenums. Then again, I'm still leaving on motor then bringing the nitrous in later so...

Here's a pic after I got it all buttoned back up this weekend. I came down w/ a sinus infection Saturday so I have not gotten a chance to drive it yet.

Attached picture new hemi.jpeg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 02:36 AM

Looks good Chip.

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 03:36 AM

Chip,

Your way ahead of me...My combo is going to be slightly different than last year. Not sure how it work out yet. My car is not legal past 10.0, so this will be interesting as the plan is to slow it down.....you have yours pretty well sorted out.

What size carb is on yours?
Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 05:34 AM

Looks good Chip. Car is really hauling 👍👍
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 09:03 AM

Years ago I had a TM7 itake and a set of cast aluminum 440 valve covers powder coated black to match the engine color, the powder coating sealed them both up so well it would not let the heat escape after a run shock Never again tsk I have some Eagle cast aluminum wheel cleaners that works excellent on cleaning up intakes and other cast aluminum motor parts up scope Make sure you don't let it soak and work to long, make duoble sure to not let it start to dry before rinsing it off with clear water thoroughly tsk twocents
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 01:35 PM

Over here we hydroblasted our cast alum parts. It's a combination of abrasives mixed in with water and blasting the component at ultra high pressures.

This closes the "pores" of the metal, gives a slight sheen to it and ensures the stay clean - permanently.

A lot of guys use this process on Limey bike's gear cases as they are renowned leakers hehe.

Works brilliant, even used black engine or gear oil won't stain the aluminium and it's simply comes off with any cleaner or solvent.

Works for me.

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/28/16 02:28 PM

Dragula...carb is a 1200 cfm Pro Systems dominator, based off an 1150.

Cab...I remember you telling me that a while back, but this intake had what looked like impurities in the alloy from when it was cast (that's what I think anyway). It looked almost like rust streaks in it. Didn't look like that when it was new, it got worse over time and nothing I tried would make it look any better. I know a lot of people powdercoat them and I've asked a lot of questions about heat retention. Everyone says something different it seems. With this manifold, I figured it was worth a shot...I'll cool it down w/ nitrous, lol.

LAD...that sounds like the perfect way to preserve aluminum w/ no downsides! Never heard of it before and sure don't know anywhere that can do it here.

Thanks for all the kind words yall. I can't wait to get this thing back to the track...next week if all goes well.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 04/29/16 04:13 PM

Looks good Chip!
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 05/02/16 05:56 PM

How much are you spraying? I would like to go faster and built my motor for a 400 shot but I'm already running under 10.0 on just motor. NHRA needs to revise the safety rules for the 21st Century. Factory cars are running 10's these days.
Nice car,

Re: Barton hemi intake ported and powdercoated - 05/02/16 06:03 PM

I'm spraying somewhere around 225 hp according to Monte Smith. Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums