Moparts

Roll cage and Seat belt ??

Posted By: G-Money1320

Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/22/16 02:31 AM

I am going to have a roll cage installed in my car next month. Does the cage have to be certified and does a cage constitute the legal need for better safety belts? As of right now its a street car with only the stock lap belt and I am only installing the cage since its going faster and I want to be safe on the track. Thanks for any info. Greg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/22/16 02:51 AM

Technically, if the car doesn't run 11.49 or quicker you don't need the belts, but most tracks will want them with the cage anyway. Much better safe than sorry.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/22/16 03:34 AM

Greg, roll cage or roll bar? A roll bar does not have to be certed. I "think" the belts have to follow the rules as long as you have a roll bar/roll cage and be replaced every 2 years no matter what your ET. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/22/16 04:36 AM

Needs roll bar and dated belts 11.49 and quicker.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/22/16 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By G-Money1320
I am going to have a roll cage installed in my car next month. Does the cage have to be certified and does a cage constitute the legal need for better safety belts? As of right now its a street car with only the stock lap belt and I am only installing the cage since its going faster and I want to be safe on the track. Thanks for any info. Greg

Greg I see you said CAGE a couple of times so I assume
you mean a cage.. as far as I know you dont need it certed
unless you go below 10.0... the belts will be dated/certed
belts... I have a full cage and I wont cert it.. wont be
going 9.99 or quicker
wave
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/23/16 04:03 AM

I see what you guys are saying, I am having a 6 point bar-8 with the short gussets installed and not a complete cage, sorry for the confusion. I dont really want to alter my street car but since its going 11.20s and probably more with some tuning, I would feel a bit safer with the bar. Am I to assume that the tech's are going to expect better belts with the bar? I appreciate all your help and opinions as you all have been doing this for a long time!! Thanks!!
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/23/16 07:02 AM

If you are putting a roll bar in the car and you are running 11.20s your belts will need to be current and update every 2 years...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/23/16 06:28 PM

Rulebook says "mandatory in all cars required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage." That's 11.49 (7.35 1/8).
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/24/16 03:23 AM

I'd put better belts in regardless...a lap belt is gonna allow you to smack your head against the bars a little easier than something with shoulder belts would.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/24/16 03:40 AM

Could be wrong but if you have original seats( bench) you could use original belts with just the roll bar-side bar, not cage.? Thought I read that somewhere about stockers. Of course every track interprets the rules differently. They all want you on the money train, seat belts, ok, two years, stupid money grab. F117a uses same belts till retired, but of course they don't see the G forces of a 11 second race car.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Roll cage and Seat belt ?? - 04/24/16 04:28 PM

11.49 and quicker you need roll bar, sfi rated 5 point harness( updated every two years from date on bets) and a single layer jacket.
© 2024 Moparts Forums