Moparts

MIlling off unneeded material

Posted By: cdwmotorsports

MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 03:55 AM

I have a question about milling off unneeded material on aluminum parts. Namely my 440 source water pump housing and a Mopar M1 Dominator intake. I don't need the coil mounting area on the intake and I don't need the power steering stuff on the pump housing. Anyone milled this stuff off? How far can one go to get rid of it?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 04:09 AM

I cut that stuff off ours
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 04:28 PM

I'd like to see some pics of intake manifolds and other parts that have been milled. Always liked the looks of some intake manifold after they've been "cleaned up".
Posted By: jcc

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
It's a good idea, but:
1. unless you have some intuitive or formal structural engineering skills, you can't tell where to stop
2. after a day's work you saved slightly more than shaving your legs

And if the OP does go too far, its not the end of the world, and likely repairable. The shaved leg analogy is a little creepy. eek laugh2
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 05:20 PM

INDY intake with the logo and EFI bosses cut/ground off. I then took the sand blaster to it, to give it the as cast look.

Jeff

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 05:22 PM

It's a good idea, but:
2. after a day's work you saved slightly more than shaving your legs

Ounces make pounds...
Posted By: Jamie McGrath

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/19/16 07:43 PM

It's a good idea, but after a day's work you saved slightly more than shaving your legs

Yea, tell that too FMJ.......
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 06:28 PM

shruggy
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 06:43 PM

Whacked the coil bracket off an M1...

Sorry for the pic, fuel solenoid is taking that space now...

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 09:05 PM

You could make a big window in each intake flange.

Take a laxative?

Once again, you making absurd comments totally irrelevant to the topic and not helpful. Again sir you are excused from this post and any future posts. Bye.

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
INDY intake with the logo and EFI bosses cut/ground off. I then took the sand blaster to it, to give it the as cast look.

Jeff

Jeff do you have formal structural engineering training? If not how on earth did you know how far you could go? LOL

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 09:11 PM

Looks good Jerico...that's exactly what I want to do w/ my Indy manifold. Gonna have a buddy set it up in a milling machine to do it.
I have an old Holley SD here too that I started getting rid of some unnecessary stuff years ago. It's a lot of work w/ cutoff wheels and a die grinder, lol. I remember Bubba had one that looked real nice and "streamlined".

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports

Jeff

Jeff do you have formal structural engineering training? If not how on earth did you know how far you could go? LOL

haha haha haha
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 09:23 PM

You dont save much on the weight but they sure do
look better without all the extra junk on them ...
specially if its not needed/used.. I have cut a
bunch of junk off SB manifolds and valve covers..
these 2 valve covers were once the same part number
wave

Attached picture IMG_0035.JPG
Attached picture W9_6.jpg
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/20/16 10:54 PM

If you really want it to look "as cast" after cutting off the excess... contour it to shape manually with grinder/burr whatever, then go over it with an engraving tool. Loosely hold the tool in your hand to let it bounce on the surface. You can fade the repaired/ removed area with literally no trace anything was ever there. Works awesome.

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/21/16 02:42 AM

Jeff

I use the SWAG method. Here is a Moroso valve cover and breather for my Road Runner. I hammered and dollied the logo flat on the V/C, and am in the process of blocking them out. I had the face of the breather turned on the lathe, to remove the logo.

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/21/16 04:37 AM

Jeff

I use the SWAG method. Here is a Moroso valve cover and breather for my Road Runner. I hammered and dollied the logo flat on the V/C, and am in the process of blocking them out. I had the face of the breather turned on the lathe, to remove the logo.

There was a guy talking about having done this to his. I found a set and am waiting on shipping cost. I may hammer and dolly the logos but fender well headers, 3.5" Flowmasters and an ARE motor plate don't scream sleeper so I will likely leave them alone. Wait savings over steel is enough for me.
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: MIlling off unneeded material - 04/21/16 05:43 AM

I have a question about milling off unneeded material on aluminum parts. Namely my 440 source water pump housing and a Mopar M1 Dominator intake. I don't need the coil mounting area on the intake and I don't need the power steering stuff on the pump housing. Anyone milled this stuff off? How far can one go to get rid of it?

Here ya go. up

Attached picture _20160420_204222.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums