Moparts

Need help with cam ID

Posted By: Jet Doc

Need help with cam ID - 04/07/16 07:13 PM

I just recently picked up this short block and it has a Purple Shaft installed in it, the number stamped on the end is 231729, I think it's a .509 cam, but not sure as to which one??? Does anyone know this part #? Thanks!
Posted By: Scully

Re: Need help with cam ID - 04/07/16 08:14 PM

Measure the difference between the lobe and the base and multiply by 1.5, that will tell you the gross rated lift.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Need help with cam ID - 04/07/16 10:02 PM

I'm not sure if this is still the case or not, but in the past, the numbers stamped into MP cams didn't translate to the part number of the cam.

Once it was out of the box, you had to measure it to know what you had.

Just one more thing from MP that made you scratch your head.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Need help with cam ID - 04/08/16 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I'm not sure if this is still the case or not, but in the past, the numbers stamped into MP cams didn't translate to the part number of the cam.

Once it was out of the box, you had to measure it to know what you had.

Just one more thing from MP that made you scratch your head.
iagree Mopar performance, the old DC Connection program, has had many goofy procedures in there marketing and stocking policys over the years down work shruggy I had a used 383 motor that was suppose to have the Mopar "509" hydraulic grind cam in it, it didn't runaway It was the 533 hydraulic grind when I check it in the motor before removing it, no wonder it sounded like it did at idle shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums