Moparts

Low Profile Air Cleaner Options???

Posted By: 74Beeper

Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/06/16 11:05 PM

Hey guys,

I got my 440ci R3 small block all built and stuffed into my 74 Roadrunner. The new build configuration consists of a 360-3 INDY hi rise single plane intake and a QFT Q-950R carburetor. I don't have my hood on yet but i know for a fact hood clearance is going to be an issue.

So, on that note, can anyone point me in the right direction for low profile air cleaner options? The only real vender i've found so far is Spectre. They look to make a great product but there must be some other companies out there with other options.

Any help is much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/qAHOWmSNzzk

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/07/16 01:58 AM

Moroso and Summit both offer a two inch drop base 14 inch diameter air cleaner base and complete assemblys for 4150 type carbs. scope I bought my three inch drop base 16 inch diameter 4500 base from a company in Canada that I can't remember the name of now, CRS disease, sorry realcrazy
Good luck, I wouldn't ever run any motor witout a air cleaner twocents
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/07/16 03:15 AM

I watched your video, very nice car! Welcome to Moparts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all26094
Posted By: 74Beeper

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/07/16 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I watched your video, very nice car! Welcome to Moparts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all26094

Thank ya sir...... It's been a long painful 8 years to get it where it's at now.

Thanks for the link, that's a damn good price.

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/07/16 03:57 PM

Amazon has it too, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8IB3Y/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/07/16 05:38 PM

Other than helping fitment, has anyone ever tested em for flow or lack there of?
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 01:19 AM

Thumper I ran a 2 inch drop base on my 340 Duster with a 4 in K/N. Back to Back with no filter and filter installed this is after your carb work. Ran the same 11.30 118. Not a scientific experiment.

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 01:56 AM

Dom, when I dynoed the 434 the guys at the shop asked me what air filter/air cleaner I ran. I run a K&N 3" filter with the filter top, The dyno operator pointed to an AllStar top and base and told me that is what I need to run along with a Wix Racing 4" filter. He said for some reason the filter top really messes with the afrs on a 4150 Holley, not so much on a dominator. Think I'll order one just see.

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 02:30 AM

What`s an allstar top? I tossed my K&N`s in the trash ages ago and run a 3 1/2" WIX racing filter and my car responded nicely..........

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 04:28 AM

Check the links I posted.

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 06:06 AM

Ok, saw those..............I still do not see that base HELPING power and distribution but been wrong many a time............
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 08:26 PM

I have seen cases were the lid is to Close to the carbs that the carbs pulse hits the lid and that is realy BAD for hp ! One realy good exampel is the stock six pack air cleaner that many beleve has a to smal amount of filter aria so they drop on a taler filter element and that helps alot but what they dont understand is that it isent the filter aria incresment that do good but the fact that the lid comes up a bit !
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/08/16 09:29 PM

Dom, when I dynoed the 434 the guys at the shop asked me what air filter/air cleaner I ran. I run a K&N 3" filter with the filter top, The dyno operator pointed to an AllStar top and base and told me that is what I need to run along with a Wix Racing 4" filter. He said for some reason the filter top really messes with the afrs on a 4150 Holley, not so much on a dominator. Think I'll order one just see.
I have dyno tested the K&N extreme filter tops on two different 440 motors on two different engine dynos, both motors lost 8 HPshock I tried switching the lid with the same Extreme filter top at the races with a 440 motor in a 1971 duster with a six pak scoop and the car went .03 quicker ET and .2 MPH faster on back to back to back A-B-A testing work shruggy We race cars, not dynos whistling shruggy

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/09/16 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I have dyno tested the K&N extreme filter tops on two different 440 motors on two different engine dynos, both motors lost 8 HPshock I tried switching the lid with the same Extreme filter top at the races with a 440 motor in a 1971 duster with a six pak scoop and the car went .03 quicker ET and .2 MPH faster on back to back to back A-B-A testing work shruggy We race cars, not dynos whistling shruggy

You are correct.
Posted By: humpty

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/09/16 07:16 AM

Sweet ride! I stuffed one of these into my 72 Duster, stock hood and no scoop with a single plane W2 Indy intake milled 1":

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/7318/10002/-1?parentProductId=1841264

I picked up 1-2mph in the 1/8 mi and it's at least 1/2" shorter than a 1" drop base with a 14x3" K&N with an x-treme top.

Looks great too!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/09/16 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

And Cab I would bet you were running rich on your
A test and it leaned up with that lid... I have
one also.. I put it on and my engine goes lean then
the injection recovers for it.. I have it on the data
logger.. I was planning on the dual snorkel like is
shown in the one post.. that way I dont have to build
a tray for my cowl which is almost done.. but would
look like crap mounted to the bottom of the hood...
that top messes up the flow going into the carb
coming in from 2 directions... I did some flow
work on that style back when I was working in the
lab
EDIT
I said this backwards.. you must have been lean on
your A run..
wave
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/09/16 03:25 PM

You have to watch those aluminum Allstar air cleaners because the lid humps up high and hits the hood.
My 500" Duster with Indy intake has very little room, some small air cleaners would choke the motor so I tried a 9 inch with a 9 inch Xstream black top and it worked believe it or not.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/10/16 02:11 AM

...He said for some reason the filter top really messes with the afrs on a 4150 Holley......

I have heard this from others, but don't know it to be true. This is what I use. The top is the same as the Allstar, but the base is shaped a little different. It is 16".

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/10/16 03:20 AM

My 340 Scamp ran a half tenth quicker with an Xstream top. It's like most other race car parts, some things work on some cars and some things don't.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/10/16 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By ProSport
My 340 Scamp ran a half tenth quicker with an Xstream top. It's like most other race car parts, some things work on some cars and some things don't.

I will go back to.. did you have the other top
maxed out on jetting before changing lids.. just
to change tops without maxing out both set ups
doesnt say alot.. most guys I know dont max it out
so they change something to go quicker... I can look
at my data logger and see the change in the fuel with
my lid.. but thats my junk... not even what I seen on a
flow bench
EDIT
To me it was a great scam to come up with that lid
wave

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/10/16 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted By ProSport

I will go back to.. did you have the other top
maxed out on jetting before changing lids.. just
to change tops without maxing out both set ups
doesnt say alot.. most guys I know dont max it out
so they change something to go quicker... I can look
at my data logger and see the change in the fuel with
my lid.. but thats my junk... not even what I seen on a
flow bench
EDIT
To me it was a great scam to come up with that lid
wave

Come on you know me better than that, I always max out jetting and timing before making a change. Not everyone runs the same hoodscoop, same car, same engine etc. I'm sure an Xstream top doesn't work for everyone but it's worked for me twice. I even have a 14" black air cleaner with a black Xstream lid and love it with the a-body dual snorkel scoop as it gets more air in the carb now.

Re: Low Profile Air Cleaner Options??? - 03/10/16 03:31 PM

I run the K&N filter top too and have ran it for years. I ordered the Allstar filter because I'm not sure the old one will clear the scoop with the new build and Indy intake.

This spring I'm going to try both on the street while recording with the LM-2 and see how the charts look.
© 2024 Moparts Forums