Posted By: nss guy

Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 02:45 AM

Car counts are not looking good:

Top Fuel- 14 cars
Funny Cars- 14 cars
Pro Stock - 13 cars
Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 18:36 PM

Pro Stock Qualifying, Session #2 Order

CHANDLER, Ariz. - Order after 2 rounds of qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 32nd annual CARQUEST Auto Parts NHRA Nationals:
Psn---Num-Driver, Home Town, Car Type---------------Qual-ET--Qual-Spd-Top Spd

1 361 Bo Butner, Floyd Knobs IN, '15 Camaro 6.618 208.88 208.88
2 2 Greg Anderson, Mooresville NC, '15 Camaro 6.624 207.30 207.72
3 8 Jason Line, Mooresville NC, '15 Camaro 6.649 207.85 207.85
4 5 Drew Skillman, Bargersville IN, '15 Camaro 6.650 207.43 207.94
5 25 Jeg Coughlin, Delaware OH, '16 Dart 6.664 207.18 207.50
6 3 Allen Johnson, Greeneville TN, '16 Dart 6.674 206.73 206.83
7 1 Erica Enders, New Orleans LA, '16 Dart 6.689 208.26 208.26
8 703 Joey Grose, Lodi CA, '15 Camaro 6.715 206.51 206.51
9 4 Chris McGaha, Odessa TX, '15 Camaro 6.722 207.59 207.59
10 52 Deric Kramer, Sterling CO, '14 Dart 6.772 206.95 206.95
11 40 Alex Laughlin, Granbury TX, '15 Camaro 6.829 208.17 208.17
12 55 V. Gaines, Lakewood CO, '15 Dart 7.237 204.91 204.91

------------ Not Qualified ------------

13 666 Matt Hartford, Phoenix AZ, '15 Camaro 7.638 164.33 164.33
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 06:54 AM

ouch.....
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 10:52 AM

How much money for a no1 decal?
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 02:00 PM

small car counts and empty stands showing NHRA is like a dinosaur soon to be extinct

PINKS,OUTLAW STEET RACERS and 10.5 events fill the stands overflowing crowds
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By HEMIFRED
small car counts and empty stands showing NHRA is like a dinosaur soon to be extinct

PINKS,OUTLAW STEET RACERS and 10.5 events fill the stands overflowing crowds

Just look at the race in Georgia last weekend, closed the gates to the track because it was over the fire marshal allowed amount of people.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/27/16 03:39 PM

Well at least everyone will qualify grin
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 05:23 PM

Looks like Allen and Roy are doing OK. Ended up #4 behind the KB cars.

GO AJ!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 05:33 PM

Looks like Butner has .03 on the field, more or less. Makes you wonder what they've found that the others are chasing.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 08:10 PM

The Butners have been racing fast EFI cars for awhile. Maybe just a quicker learning curve on the tune up. They use KB power so my guess is they have been just a bit better at the on track tuning end of the EFI
Posted By: sproracer

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 08:27 PM

It will not take long for that event [Lights out] at SGMP, to run its course I tried to watch it on live stream. most boring race I have ever seen. mostly watched single runs, track prep/cleanup, and lots of black hoodies on the starting line, to the point that you could only see the cars after the waterbox. every once in awhile there would be two cars make it down the track, and even rarer, there would be a race to the finish line side by side. if I had to pay to watch that, I would never go back.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
The Butners have been racing fast EFI cars for awhile. Maybe just a quicker learning curve on the tune up. They use KB power so my guess is they have been just a bit better at the on track tuning end of the EFI

Having to drop 1500 rpm AND implement EFI over the winter, the KB crew definitely did their homework on their entirely different 2016 combo.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By sproracer
It will not take long for that event [Lights out] at SGMP, to run its course I tried to watch it on live stream. most boring race I have ever seen. mostly watched single runs, track prep/cleanup, and lots of black hoodies on the starting line, to the point that you could only see the cars after the waterbox. every once in awhile there would be two cars make it down the track, and even rarer, there would be a race to the finish line side by side. if I had to pay to watch that, I would never go back.

I think the power adder/small tire/radial tire stuff is here to stay - sort of like a modern day fuel altered, you never know what's going to happen. I ask myself sometimes why I beat myself up trying to make every last hp in a N/A deal, when bolting 600/800/1000 hp on top is the cheaper and easier way to go.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By sproracer
This is the 6th one and the largest ever......not going away anytime soon
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/28/16 09:30 PM

Basically the same deal at Street Car Supernationals.... lots of downtime, expect to be there 12-14 hrs (think they finally pulled the plug at midnight as the track temp dropped too low)..... and I wouldn't walk across the street to see a national event compared to that. It's real guys running their heart and soul into overpowered somewhat stockish chassis' on way to small of tires. I suspect as it gains in popularity, money will probably show up and soon someone will once again try and convince us that "team" racing is "ok".. F that!

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 03:11 AM

I have been to several nhra national events, and quite a few divisionals, and I am used to watching race cars go down the track, side by side, with little or no downtime. every once in awhile there is oil, but not that often. So my dollars spent that day entertains me in a fashion that makes me feel like I got a return on my entertainment investment. Then, I tried to watch the live stream from "lights out" I just assumed it would be close to the same. It was not. One thing I did notice......Those "full" grandstands were empty way early in the afternoon. long before the race was over. Everyone has an idea of what entertains them, I just had higher expectations.

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 03:27 AM

Incorrect information. I don't know what you saw, but I was THERE and the stands were packed until they quit running every night. I sat in traffic for 3 hours to get in on Saturday morning and they were turning people away at 2pm. At the 12pm curfew Sat night, the stands were still packed.

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 03:32 AM

the day I watched the livestream was sunday, not Sat.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 03:44 AM

I don't care for the small tire stuff, but I doubt it's going away and to be honest hopefully it doesn't. Holley, M/T, Edelbrock, etc... all need multiple venues and areas for their parts to be used. If it was only class racing or weekend bracket stuff development would cease. Thankfully the many classes we have to race helps all that trickle down.

With that being said the seating capacity
SGMP: 3000
Norwalk: 30,000

I don't know anything about it-but sounds like time to move the event. Otherwise quit bragging about filling a small pond. People will still follow I'm sure.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 04:48 AM

Car count = a really bad sign for NHRA, regardless of weather the stands were full or not. Can't remember when they couldn't fill the top 3 classes.

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By 68shifter
I don't care for the small tire stuff, but I doubt it's going away and to be honest hopefully it doesn't. Holley, M/T, Edelbrock, etc... all need multiple venues and areas for their parts to be used. If it was only class racing or weekend bracket stuff development would cease. Thankfully the many classes we have to race helps all that trickle down.

I don't know anything about it-but sounds like time to move the event. Otherwise quit bragging about filling a small pond. People will still follow I'm sure.
The crowd at SGMP would have easily filled Norwalk. SGMP is on over 300 acres. They have plenty of room. Just need to add some parking and more stands. The track surface is second to none. The event won't likely be moving.

I was at SGMP all week. We are a class sponsor. Wed was TnT with one round of qualifying at night. The track was FULL on Wed and packed the rest of the week. People must not work in south Georgia........LOL!!!
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By 68shifter

The crowd at SGMP would have easily filled Norwalk. SGMP is on over 300 acres. They have plenty of room. Just need to add some parking and more stands. The track surface is second to none. The event won't likely be moving.

I was at SGMP all week. We are a class sponsor. Wed was TnT with one round of qualifying at night. The track was FULL on Wed and packed the rest of the week. People must not work in south Georgia........LOL!!!

How many Sportsman racers?

Never mind, checked it out on the NHRA site. looks like a good car turnout.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 06:00 AM

I believe the low car count is because of the venue and the fact that the teams that missed it figure money spent testing, replenishing parts and more shop work in lieu of they will be farther ahead knowing that they will most likely still have a valid shot at the top 10 and more importantly after Indy when the points re-align due to the points system. I also think the new FS1 broadcast should help with first time viewers with more explanation of what is going on than before and how stuff works. As for the Lights Out 7 deal I thought the on-line viewing was great and found myself logging in throughout the weekend to see what was going on, It seemed like a lot of others were doing the same as on average I saw 18k viewers at any given time with 30k during the last few rounds, I don't agree with some of the things they allow as letting 50 + people around the starting line looks like a definite accident waiting to happen and could not believe the unprotected people on either side of the lane during burnouts? Watching mostly stock appearing tube chassis cars running 3.80's + at 190 is off the hook and had me thinking of heading out there next year for a day next time I visit my parents in southern Alabama, I've never had the thought of doing that and catching a National event in Atlanta.

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 06:28 AM

Even if you are not a "fan" of small tire racing, any car guy can appreciate, or at least should appreciate that 56 cars showed up to try and qualify for a 32 car drag radial field, that ended up with a 4.14 bump spot. And that was just in one class.

How many "sportsman" racers?..........all of them I guess were sportsman racers.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 07:35 AM

Well Monte.. get them to boot about 40 people
off the starting line so people at the track
and on the net can see the damn cars.. I've
been there.. that place is a ZOO
EDIT
Thats per lane... top fuel doent even do that
wave
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Even if you are not a "fan" of small tire racing, any car guy can appreciate, or at least should appreciate that 56 cars showed up to try and qualify for a 32 car drag radial field, that ended up with a 4.14 bump spot. And that was just in one class.

How many "sportsman" racers?..........all of them I guess were sportsman racers.
dam i was there the whole weekend wish i knew u where there we couldve met up
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Phoenix NHRA Qualifying - 02/29/16 11:03 AM

that event was insane loved it
© 2024 Moparts Forums