Moparts

P5 Head

Posted By: Coldart

P5 Head - 02/26/16 05:12 PM

How far off are head bolts on P5 head to bolt on R3 block.

And who has Mopar P5 heads, not billet

Thanks!
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: P5 Head - 02/26/16 05:21 PM

To far off to change, and the cam tunnel has no possibility of working.

Re: P5 Head - 02/26/16 05:34 PM

What if you have R3 without bolt holes? Did they spread outer holes out?

Cam tunnel? Or lifter placement? Can move about anything.

Thanks for the reply!
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: P5 Head - 02/26/16 08:28 PM

I checked when I bought my P5 heads, and the R4 block is as I understand, a casting that can have lifter angle and the bolt pattern machined to alternatively R3 and P5 heads. But this you need to check out in detail. I thought an R5 block could be made to fit, but it is far off. If you have an aluminum sprintcar block and can do good welding and machining it should be possible to convert it to P5 heads. Beware of there are tow versions of the P5 heads: One so-called wedge (sparkplugs from the side) and one so-called Hemi (spark plugs through the valve covers). The P5 Hemi looks like a scaled-down Hemi99. I have the wedge heads.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: P5 Head - 02/26/16 11:29 PM

You need an R4 block
Posted By: stevet340

Re: P5 Head - 02/26/16 11:47 PM

If you aren't afraid to spend the money and buy the billet heads new from Visner, he can move the inner bolt holes closest to the lifter bores to fit the R3 block. If you already have an R3 block without the lifter bores you are good to go and will have an awesome smallblock that almost nobody else on the planet has! A blank lifter bore R3 block is way cheaper to find and buy than an R4 block. Most R3 blocks without lifter bores are very short deck blocks which make great smaller displacement, extreme rpm, high horsepower, comp eliminator type engines. DAMHIK
Posted By: fishy340

Re: P5 Head - 02/27/16 05:26 AM

R3 blocks are as rare as cast p5 heads...Good luck man.

Re: P5 Head - 02/27/16 02:15 PM

Can't run billet heads/block, but for any high rpm/big cube sb mopar this is the way to go.
Found out the heads will fit with bolt hole modification. Cam no problem.
Have plenty of R3's. Many R3's out there for sale.
Just found set of 2nd gen heads. Visner heads way easier/cheaper but not legal.
Nothing is bolt on with a Mopar, sure it will be all custom built parts.

Let the fun begin!

Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: P5 Head - 02/27/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By fishy340
R3 blocks are as rare as cast p5 heads...Good luck man.

Only the 9.580" deck, internal oil pump, bushed for .875 drop in lifter and 4 bolt Billet cap ones everybody thinks they want.lol
Posted By: RV2

Re: P5 Head - 02/27/16 08:09 PM

Why are there two P5 heads(wedge and Hemi)?
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: P5 Head - 02/28/16 07:34 PM

My guess: It is PR related. Showing the plugwires through the valvecovers means it could be called a Hemi... I am not sure there are much differences in basic concept. None are Hemis, the same with the Hemi 99, where the letters HEMI covers the whole valvecover.
Posted By: LA360

Re: P5 Head - 02/29/16 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By RV2
Why are there two P5 heads(wedge and Hemi)?

Plug location, the Wedge units didn't have the plug lead through the rocker cover.

I am fairly certain that Con Sideris here in Australia probably has some left. I know the foundry that cast them still had them left, perhaps try and contact them.
http://www.racerpro.com.au/

Cheers

Re: P5 Head - 02/29/16 08:31 AM

No castings left, the patterns are still there getting dusty.

Re: P5 Head - 02/29/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By LA360
No castings left, the patterns are still there getting dusty.

Alan, what castings were they making?

Had heard that someone in Australia was making heads.

The mopar castings I'm getting am sure are going to need hrs of tig welding to be useable

Re: P5 Head - 03/02/16 06:38 AM

Before everyone went to billet heads over here for Pro Stock, a local engine builder (who was taking care of a RWR engine in the Mopar backed entry) was getting them cast. From what I understand they were based on the factory casting, some have said an exact copy. Rumour has it he got into some trouble with Mopar in regards to it. From what I was told they would still crack around the intake port bowl, but I never saw a set that had failed in this manner. The afore mentioned engine builder has since closed his shop, and the foundry that did the castings for him haven't heard from him in some time. The patterns are sitting in storage getting dusty. I worked at a CNC shop that machined the castings for him, I wish I had grabbed the CAD files before I left, but I figured I'd probably never use them.

Re: P5 Head - 04/03/16 01:43 AM

I am surprised that no one has done a Hemi style head for boosted applications for LA blocks. I am aware of the Hot Rod style head that was done, I'm talking about a balls to the wall style of cylinder head, but then, what block are you going to put it on?
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: P5 Head - 04/03/16 02:01 AM

Me!

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: P5 Head - 04/03/16 02:03 AM

Figure someday I will do an E85 R4/P5 if I could ever find a block
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By Coldart
Can't run billet heads/block

Coldart,

What sort of car / class are you building the engine for?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 03:21 AM

X275?
Posted By: W8n2DustU

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 04:09 AM

I've seen one in X275!

Attached picture image.png
Posted By: W8n2DustU

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 04:16 AM

There were two aluminum blocks built by Mopar! A 9.6 deck and a 9.2 deck block. They are STOUT!!

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 08:07 AM

Marty, you've got the VED heads? Did you ever end up buying the cast heads from Aus?

Re: P5 Head - 04/05/16 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By bwhackd34
Me!

I haven't seen the Wedge P5 heads in ages!
© 2024 Moparts Forums