Moparts

Best place to buy axles?

Posted By: HP2

Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 08:42 AM

Upgrading my 440 with aluminum heads so I hope (and guess) I can run high 6's on 1/8 mile this summer. My axles are the original (8 3/4") and my heavy 71 Charger has beaten them enough, and the seals and bearings are also in need for a change.
Since I don't do much street driving I think I can go with green bearings so I want to buy a complete kit with axles, bearings, long studs and all. Want them shipped to Hampton, VA. Best source?
Posted By: wasteddays

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 08:48 AM

Doc Diff. good guy good stuff good prices! wd.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 08:50 AM

As long as your buying axles why not upgrade them to 35 splines and buy a 35 spline spool at the same time work up twocents
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By wasteddays

iagree
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By Sputnik

iagree

X2
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 04:16 PM

I have bought from Dr Diff and direct from
Strange
wave
Posted By: 340man4ever

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 04:27 PM

I vote for Strange components and a Dana 60..............

Heavy car, adding more power.........when that 8 3/4 goes it can make a real mess of things, dont ask me how I know......

My advice, spend the money once..........be done........

Wish I would have...........
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Originally Posted By Sputnik

iagree

X2

X3!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 05:44 PM

X4
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 05:52 PM

Strange from the dealer of your choice. Talk to someone who can recommend the right parts the first time around and listen to their advice.

I've never dealt with Dr. Diff but his reputation is golden.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 07:37 PM

Dr. Diff stuff in my 3700+ lb turbo car on radials. Bullet proof so far.

Oh yeah and it's a Dana... Because I already blew up my 8 3/4"
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 07:42 PM

everyone blows up all the good 8 3/4 stuff they have-- Then they go Dana 60--WAY cheaper to buy Dana and sell all that Good 8 3/4 stuff
Big Car, big slicks, 8 3/4 go Boom! Usually takes overrun out of the 727 and once in while tags the converter
35 spline spool in a Dana --and like Herb McCandless says--race it until you retire then take it out and sell it--will never let you down.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/20/16 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
As long as your buying axles why not upgrade them to 35 splines and buy a 35 spline spool at the same time work up twocents

Just did this...........green bearings installed and 35 spline for the extra strength and $333 bucks to my door........
Posted By: HP2

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/21/16 10:47 AM

WOW, what a response! Hey 340man, you make me feel like I'm playing with fire... I'll contact Dr. Diff and hope I can afford what he suggests!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/21/16 02:38 PM

The good news is if you want to go with a strange dana 60 you can get if rom Dr Diff haha.

I have only bought a pinion yoke from him but when I need more axle parts it will be from the Dr.

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/21/16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Just did this...........green bearings installed and 35 spline for the extra strength and $333 bucks to my door........

Dom... which axles did you get... he offers a few brands..
I bought my 9" axles and brakes from him.. I went with
the Dutchman axles being that mine is a street rod and
will have some strip time.. on the race car I went to
Strange(direct) for the 8 3/4
wave
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 01:13 AM

All good advice here, I made the mistake of building up an 8 3/4 since it was quite a bit cheaper than a Dana, didn't pay off, broke the 8 3/4 and got the blew the tranny at the same time. Did that almost 20 years ago, been running a Dana and a aluminum drum ever since. Sometimes you can save money by spending a little more.
Posted By: upnover

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 02:42 AM

dr diff, about $60 cheaper than moser with alot better customer service. i havent broken one or twisted one yet

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

wave

Not sure what brand they are and forgot what Cass said but they are nice and the flange looks a lot cleaner than on my Dutchmans.......

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

wave

Not sure what brand they are and forgot what Cass said but they are nice and the flange looks a lot cleaner than on my Dutchmans.......

Dont know how the flange can look better.. they
are a machined flange... just like all of them
wave

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 05:14 AM

They look almost billet like and are smoother than my Dutchmans.......
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Best place to buy axles? - 02/22/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By crabman173
everyone blows up all the good 8 3/4 stuff they have-- Then they go Dana 60--WAY cheaper to buy Dana and sell all that Good 8 3/4 stuff
Big Car, big slicks, 8 3/4 go Boom! Usually takes overrun out of the 727 and once in while tags the converter
35 spline spool in a Dana --and like Herb McCandless says--race it until you retire then take it out and sell it--will never let you down.

I raced with an 8.75 for one season and then switched to an OEM Dana 60. I moved the spring perches inboard about 3" each and ordered some 15x10 steel wheels with a big back spacing. A set of 4.88 truck gears with a Mr. Gasket spacer on the stock PowerLock diff, stock axles & brakes and went racing. Finally sold the car in 1987 and the Dana never gave me a bit of trouble. The new toy has a Dr. Diff spool, 4.10 truck gears, 35 spline Dutchman axles, with Ford bearings and brakes. I would never race another 8.75, because I know I would break it with the new motor.
© 2024 Moparts Forums