Moparts

Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:54 AM

Started right on time at 10:30 pm and all is well. Less time spent on burn outs and more racing. Tony P in the booth is even surprising me. I'm excited
Posted By: MGC340

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:55 AM

It's a treat to be able to watch qualifying on Friday!👍🏻
Posted By: RV2

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 06:01 AM

So far so good

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 06:34 AM

Fox sports 1 rocked it as far as I am concerned. Video audio was off a touch on the interviews but I'm nitpicking. AAAAA plus in my books
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 06:54 AM

I'm at work so I set the dvr and will check it out after I get up tomorrow.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 07:14 AM

I had to mute it. That announcing team is not going to work for me.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By MoparBilly
I had to mute it. That announcing team is not going to work for me.

I agree, Dave R. Was too hyped up and annoying and Tony was worse than I thought he would be. Coverage seemed rushed too.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 07:54 AM

On time? A
Announcers? C
Showed more on Pro Stock? B

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 08:11 AM

Wow first race of the year with new announcers, different channel, Friday qualifying and we still aren't happy. I think I need a vacation. As expected I guess.
Posted By: Joes66dart

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 08:56 AM

I just wish they would show the reaction times and show the qualifying positions when they show thier ET.
Posted By: BuckeyeBrawler

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 10:20 AM

I agree more pro stock coverage was a good thing. It's not easy listening to Tony P.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 04:14 PM

Well Ill give them a pass since it is program #1. But agree Pedregon was almost unwatchable. Missed plenty of facts when explaining PS for instance and his color analysis of the action was non existent and very stiff. But IMO this is the first show, I am sure it will become better with time. Afterall it was his first show.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:12 PM

Quote:
I agree more pro stock coverage was a good thing. It's not easy listening to Tony P.
iagree
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:29 PM

I thought it was dull. ESPN always covered the crew,driver and team changes for the year a little more in depth. I liked Mike Dunn too. Oh well, just my humble opinion.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Well Ill give them a pass since it is program #1. But agree Pedregon was almost unwatchable. Missed plenty of facts when explaining PS for instance and his color analysis of the action was non existent and very stiff. But IMO this is the first show, I am sure it will become better with time. Afterall it was his first show.

iagree Just like anyone here at the track with a new car for the first time - takes time to tune it in twocents
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:48 PM

I didnt get to watch much of it last night..
seems the satellite wanted to do a dish check
and it said a 1/2 hour to do it... I will see
them today
wave
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 05:53 PM

As a fan I will give them a pass as it the first broadcast but there is a lot of tuning that needs to be done. The biggest is showing all of the qualifying runs not "most" of them from each round...So while Friday qualifying is nice to see separately either make it longer or combine both days and show them all....
Posted By: 66 Belvedere

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Wow first race of the year with new announcers, different channel, Friday qualifying and we still aren't happy. I think I need a vacation. As expected I guess.

I know right! Geez

Ray

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/13/16 10:10 PM

I think Fox did a good job, Tony was Ok and will get better as the season progresses. I give them a up.

It's good to see Clay Millican starting out strong, hopefully he can pick up some wins this year.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 12:18 AM

Anybody else dissatisfied with the video quality? When the cameras panned the moving cars the video was blurred a little...thought it was my provider/set combo but several friends with different setups reported the same.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

Anybody else dissatisfied with the video quality? When the cameras panned the moving cars the video was blurred a little...thought it was my provider/set combo but several friends with different setups reported the same.

I thought so too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 04:29 AM

I thouhgt it was odd that the announcers would say that Pro Stock was no longer"normally asperated" instead of saying no longer carbureted. I would have pointed out they are now mandated to run and use elctronic fuel injected by NHRA work
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 09:21 PM

I thought Fox Sports was an upgrade. The video sucked. They don't show all the passes of any class. Tdofus made his first mistake (of many)in the first 5 minutes. IIRC the Force family did NOT win a Championship last year, yet we got another full dose of that crap.

Pro Stock was milquetoast at best. They look stupid without the scoops. They were down 4-5 MPH and the big wheelies didn't happen.

Better the devil you know...........
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 09:28 PM

Didn't it start late, Sat night, due to motocross coverage?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 09:34 PM

Supercross was split on 2 different channels briefly last night because of a dog show competition that ran late on FS1.

The NHRA finals are on at 5pm EST on FS1 today, I'll be tuning in.
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 10:25 PM

I recorded the 1am qualifying show.looks like team summit on there game.Whats up with line punching Greg in the arm during Greg's interview.what an azz. yellow
Posted By: oddjob

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 11:24 PM

so much for LIVE coverage! it's now 4:20 EST And if you look on the NHRA website they are already running the second round. what gives?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 11:27 PM

I liked it, but am not a Tony fan for sure. Coverage is still miles ahead of when we had to wait 6 weeks to see it on Wide World of Sports.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By Leigh
Didn't it start late, Sat night, due to motocross coverage?

The dog show ran late first, but that didn't really affect the drag racing. SX went long.

You would think with all the poop NHRA was flouting about how great the coverage was going to be, it was a let down for me.

And still no Pro Stock wheelies!
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 11:44 PM

Bring back Steve Evans

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/14/16 11:56 PM

Coverage is lousy at best....Announcing is bad also. Drew Skillman was called Erica Enders among many other inaccuracies. I am sure the owners of some of these cars will be contacting FS1 as to why the driver was only mentioned not ever shown after all it is advertising.....It's gonna be a looonnggg year.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 01:41 AM

Same boring racing. Different network/reporting is all that changed.

Tony is as bad as I'd thought he'd be.

Bruno is an idiot.

Dave R needs to lay off the energy drinks.

Empty seats on race day. Again. Still...
Posted By: RV2

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 01:43 AM

And et's are not being shown on every pass

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:04 AM

Give them some time guys.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
Give them some time guys.

Do you think this is FS1's first sporting event?

It sucks. Put on your big boy pants and call it what it is. Crapola.

And just like I said, not a damn thing done to PS did a damn thing for PS.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:08 AM

When Diamond P first started with Evans.............it was a train wreck. How about give them a race or two, since this is all new
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:09 AM

Then we have useless babble from the booth with Sportsman racing in the background waiting for the pro finals.

Those are the sportsman late rounds. Show some coverage, give the winner and runner ups 15 seconds of time. Instead I'm listening to Erica rehash last year. Blah, blah...

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:17 AM

I guess I'm an optimist and think Fox will get better as will the PS cars. Hell at least it's on. Bottom line, you don't like it, watch something else. That way you don't have to bit@h about it.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:19 AM

I agree with Justin.... At least the Pro Stock cars look better without the big scoop.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I guess I'm an optimist and think Fox will get better as will the PS cars. Hell at least it's on. Bottom line, you don't like it, watch something else. That way you don't have to bit@h about it.

THat's why I'm on the web. I turned the crap off.

It's great to be an optimist. I have no problem with it. But you can't lie to yourself.

As I posted many times and was lit up for it, no hood scoops, EFI and short wheelie bars didn't do JACK for TV coverage, or, evidently spectators either, as the stands look the same as always when PS runs. It won't take 8-10 races to figure out the NHRA didn't "fix" PS, they just put a bandaid where they needed an amputation.
Posted By: BuckeyeBrawler

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:35 AM

Well at least it drag racing season again, I agree with some others on here show some of the sportsman finals and get rid if the fill "IE" Tony's memories, who cares? Sorry to see AJ out early !
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:07 AM

Only good thing I can say about it, is the Force Racing love fest was missing.
Posted By: topside

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:08 AM

The good news is it wasn't postponed by high-school chess or college badminton, and it wasn't overly saturated with the Force family.
The bad news: Video & sound quality were amateurish, no RT or Qual position, little in the way of observation or analysis or personality, lack of camera angles & lighting, cars barely audible, booth mics too loud, none of Mike Dunn's insights or humor. Not a word for example about PS guys hitting the chip so often, especially before the stripe.
Stuff like the gal's 1st drag race & the Wally info? I'd rather they focus on the cars & crews.
However, early days I guess. Hopefully they'll get their act together.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:20 AM

I think I heard all the same nay sayer crap and bitc$in' years ago when Diamond P sports went away and ESPN took over,,,It's not the 1980's anymore.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:22 AM

I think the Pro Stocks got a handle on things, thanks to Hogan manifolds. Too much talking for me.
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:43 AM

I didn't hear it today but I sure hope that FS1 tightened up the choke collar on Dave Rieff because if I have to hear him say "Say WHAAAT" again this year....I'm going to throw something.......
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:55 AM

I was just so happy that after 2-1/2 months drag racing was back. I was happy with most of it. Not to nitpick,I just wish they would show the reaction times and the E.T showing the Winner on the screen. They did do it a few time. Wish they would do it all the time.
My two cents
Bob
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 05:34 AM

I liked the first two rounds, although the editing was pretty choppy. I didn't miss all those top end driver interviews one bit. But even with a 55 minute turn-around, it's just too much dead time to fill. I think the show would be better if only the final round was live.

As a National event participant, I've seen firsthand how Dave R treats his underlings off air, gruff, scowling, yelling at cameramen. I'll never be a fan of his, even he was good at play by play.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By VCODE
I was just so happy that after 2-1/2 months drag racing was back. I was happy with most of it. Not to nitpick,I just wish they would show the reaction times and the E.T showing the Winner on the screen. They did do it a few time. Wish they would do it all the time.
My two cents
Bob

Just what I was thinking while watching, show the RT, ET and winner. Show how red the red light was. Good close finals for the pros. They can't get any worse,so it will improve.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 06:14 AM

Hey mad.........Why don't you tell us one more time what you think about Pro-Stock.............I not sure we are clear after the other 1000 times

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By topside
The good news is it wasn't postponed by high-school chess or college badminton, and it wasn't overly saturated with the Force family.
The bad news: Video & sound quality were amateurish, no RT or Qual position, little in the way of observation or analysis or personality, lack of camera angles & lighting, cars barely audible, booth mics too loud, none of Mike Dunn's insights or humor. Not a word for example about PS guys hitting the chip so often, especially before the stripe.
Stuff like the gal's 1st drag race & the Wally info? I'd rather they focus on the cars & crews.
However, early days I guess. Hopefully they'll get their act together.

It was delayed yesterday by Moto Cross...I did see reaction times today on final rounds. They Did list Shane Gray as Aaron somebody when he made his pass 2nd round. Sure hope it gets better.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Hey mad.........Why don't you tell us one more time what you think about Pro-Stock.............I not sure we are clear after the other 1000 times

Get tired of me being correct? Every one running their mouths about how EFI would be revolutionary in PS. Same old same old.

Let me know when you can admit I'm right.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 06:55 AM

Correct?....about what? You don't have a crystal ball. You don't KNOW what's going to happen. And I didn't say whether it would FIX it or not, but I said at least they were doing something.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 02:48 PM

I didn`t think it was to bad, as usual I wish they would have showed the sportsman final rounds instead of the fluff but I understand. I also heard the P/S cars on the chip top end, I think they look better without the scoop and I sure hope the Mopars come around. How about that Stock Final! I don`t know who took the stripe but Don Little in the Challenger broke out by a thou. against Fletcher. Ouch! ( saw on DRC not tv)

Attached picture IMG_0565.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:07 PM

I missed most of the race due to blowing a tire on a trailer in the snow. mad I got to "watch" the last hour, nothing but fluff and TP talking, I can live without that. I did rewind the DVR and didn't see much racing action, and it would be nice if they would actually show a winner on the screen like ESPN2 used to do instead of just the times and speeds, if you have the sound off you have no idea who won... eyes
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith

Get tired of me being correct? Every one running their mouths about how EFI would be revolutionary in PS. Same old same old.

Let me know when you can admit I'm right.

and if they did nothing to change the class..... THAT would be the same old, same old....
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 04:20 PM

I think all in all it was nice to finally see racing again on TV. I think the pro stock cars were awesome, a lot of the cry babies in the off season seam to have some things figured out. For me seeing pro stock off a little is just fine, much closer and a lot better, just my opinion. remember I am a very small fish in the pond that enjoys watching the unlimited budget guys race. The one that really stuck out was Greg Anderson, he seams a little humbled, but they are getting it together faster than most and that could be because of Hogan Manifolds and Bo Butner helping them out a little. At least that's what I thought Jason Line and Bo said yesterday.

The show will get better. For all the things everyone is bitching about on here, why don't you call fox and tell them that you will pay for all the fixes that you think will make everything just the way you want it. And then listen real close for the Dial tone or the voice mail box to start.

most on here obviously have no issues chopping others down on here, how about you take a shot at the big Monster that you feel just cant do things right. Take all the money in your savings account and go run the broadcast so we can all punch holes in your efforts.

Rant Over
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By Kiddart
I think all in all it was nice to finally see racing again on TV. I think the pro stock cars were awesome, a lot of the cry babies in the off season seam to have some things figured out. For me seeing pro stock off a little is just fine, much closer and a lot better, just my opinion. remember I am a very small fish in the pond that enjoys watching the unlimited budget guys race. The one that really stuck out was Greg Anderson, he seams a little humbled, but they are getting it together faster than most and that could be because of Hogan Manifolds and Bo Butner helping them out a little. At least that's what I thought Jason Line and Bo said yesterday.

The show will get better. For all the things everyone is bitching about on here, why don't you call fox and tell them that you will pay for all the fixes that you think will make everything just the way you want it. And then listen real close for the Dial tone or the voice mail box to start.

most on here obviously have no issues chopping others down on here, how about you take a shot at the big Monster that you feel just cant do things right. Take all the money in your savings account and go run the broadcast so we can all punch holes in your efforts.

Rant Over
My sentiments exactly.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 07:29 PM

Only thing I saw was they bobbled on a few things.Kind of expected it as it the first time for both to do all the announcing.They should get better with time.Rocky
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 08:57 PM

I thought it was pretty rough. Sometimes you don't know what you have until its gone, and Rieff and Dunn seemed to have much better synergy than he and Pedregon. They'll get better, but I thought they missed a lot. Nothing on screen to tell you who won the race?! Their starting line green line went green whether the racer was red or green. Both Pedregon and Rief seemed to stumble across each other, with lots of sentences cut off mid-thought. I was looking forward to the hand held camera at the starting line, but they didn't take advantage of it at all. Played the wrong segment in one spot. And I'm absolutely convinced that you CAN speak to both racing savvy, and first timer fans, on appropriate levels if you try. Why not try?

All in all, I'm sure the post-production meeting was not a fun place to be.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 09:25 PM

Didn't watch the show. Listened to the NHRA audiocast all weekend while I was in the shop. Sounds like it was a great race. Good, close racing from the top down. The did pipe in the Fox feed when the Pros ran the semis and the finals, but they had the track announcers feed, who I thing were great, in between. Bob Frey and whoever the expert commentator was for Top Alcohol early rounds Sunday were great.

And I like Pro Stock. It's about as high up as "up" goes for what I care about; gasoline powered, naturally aspirated, pushrod V8s. What would be the ultimate class for those powerplants if Pro Stock went away, Comp? It's on life support. Super Stock? The whole world is not all about blowers, turbos and N2O. Pro Stock is a legacy class. It should always be a part of the show.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 11:19 PM

Most of the arguments about Pro-Stock, revolve around the "nothing like factory cars" argument. Well frankly, who gives a damn, or where is it written that Pro-Stock has to resemble factory cars?.........Pro-Stock came about, when the mods to Super Stockers went well past those rules and a new class was born. But this isn't the late 60s and nothing is remotely the same. Todays Super Stockers are light years ahead of a 70s Pro-Stock...............so where exactly is it some envision Pro-Stock being?

If you want factory bodies and factory motors.......that opens the whole "factor" can of worms, because there are diff size motors, some are supercharged, the cars don't weigh the same and all the aero isn't the same. We ALL know how the "factor" worked before in a heads-up class and many Mopar guys still feel slighted to this day, because they feel the HEMI was factored right out of pro-Stock and it likely was........So yeah, that sounds like a GREAT idea. Lets try that again. As is often the case, the fondly remembered "good old days" in reality were NOT all that good. It was a cluster then and would be now.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/15/16 11:25 PM

Wonder how ole Dale Aldo is liking the fact they never once mentioned the brands of the Pro Stockers in any of the coverage? All they mentioned was the team owners, and especially KB racing.
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 02:23 AM

I give a damn and it's written in the name of the class...Pro-"STOCK"

It's not Pro-"Blob" or Pro-"Tech" or even Pro-"Cowlhalfwayupthewindshield"

They oughta have at least some stock features other than a couple of semi, somewhat close headlight buckets and four round tires.

Maybe at least go back to as produced at one time, bore-spacings and put the cams back where they were.

That sure would change the brand lineup.....you know, back to when Pro-Stock had a fan base.

And by the way Monte, it's an "engine" not a "motor"

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 02:40 AM

The only factory motor with the allowed bore space is a big block Ford.

Then why is it not called "Enginesports" instead of "Motorsports"

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By oscaracme

They oughta have at least some stock features other than a couple of semi, somewhat close headlight buckets and four round tires.

Maybe at least go back to as produced at one time, bore-spacings and put the cams back where they were.

That sure would change the brand lineup.....you know, back to when Pro-Stock had a fan base.

Well...you must be a fan of Super Stock then. The flat hood, drag the bumper crowd. I like them too.

That and my Harley Enginecycle.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 03:47 AM

I guess we should call our cars ENGPARS Instead of MOPARS then??
Posted By: duster400

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 06:21 AM

I am going to give the m a few races, BUT like has been said before, Pro Stock is still naturally aspirated, but I think they make more than14HP as stated by Tony. There were too many little errors in my opinion. Verbal, ETs not showing up, 35 minutes of BS at 1 time, then the finals. I am surprised they put it out like that? We'll see if they fix it and how quick. My wife doesn't even like Tony, that was funny.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 07:40 AM

I didn't read all the posts....let me first say...I WAS AT POMONA.....#2 I had dinner the the D7 director/Winternationals race director (Insert mustache here for those who know...LOL) Saturday night. We watched the broadcast as we relaxed at the dinner spot. He says "We have a LONG list of things to fix for TV"....yes...they do. But the REAL shocker is that FS1 ONLY Broadcasts the race. It's filmed...produced...edited...etc...by the NHRA. I did not realize that. He says NHRA put's it in the can for FS1 to beam out.
My 17yo was with us....first thing he says..."Where are the R/T's and the Qual spots on the graphic?"..."And why is the graphic so darn small. Race director looks at him and says....Good question.
It will get better.....newbie gitters...

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 02:51 PM

I realize Ford had the advantage in that department.....but I don't like rule changes to take away advantages......work for the wins.
with the exception of Bob Glidden, Fords didn't just show up and win in the past with the bore space advantage.

and just because a term is used frequently, doesn't make it the correct definition.

the simplified difference is a motor converts power, an engine creates power.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 03:07 PM

I do like super stock....especially the class with the hood scoops.

I was an even bigger fan of Pro-Stock (with scoops) back when it wasn't Pro-IROC with every car essentially the same with the exception of a few tweaks here and there.

Apparently I'm not alone in my opinion with the lack of Pro-Stock fans in the stands.

ok, gotta go now and put a new starter-engine on my motor. confused
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 05:27 PM

I'd like to see NHRA take the superchargers and turbos off of the ProMod cars and make those the big inch, nitrous door cars. Leave the superchargers to the funny cars. Then make ProStock cars conform more closely to factory configuration. Use power based on available factory engines. Use factory chassis and bodies as opposed to tube chassis and carbon fiber bodies. Basically make the rules similar to what they would have been in the late 80's. Would some manufacturers be more competitive than others? Yep. That's called racing. Trying to make all the cars equal defeats the purpose of having a race. At least in my opinion it would make Pro Mod and Pro Stock more interesting.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 05:52 PM

I do like super stock....especially the class with the hood scoops.

I was an even bigger fan of Pro-Stock (with scoops) back when it wasn't Pro-IROC with every car essentially the same with the exception of a few tweaks here and there.

Apparently I'm not alone in my opinion with the lack of Pro-Stock fans in the stands.

ok, gotta go now and put a new starter-engine on my motor. confused

I agree, Pro-Stock is boring and I usually leave the stands when I am at a race or fast forward through most/all of it on TV. It has turned into NASCAR in a straight line. The same basic car with different stickers has killed the class to many fans.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By Chassisman
I didn't read all the posts....let me first say...I WAS AT POMONA.....#2 I had dinner the the D7 director/Winternationals race director (Insert mustache here for those who know...LOL) Saturday night. We watched the broadcast as we relaxed at the dinner spot. He says "We have a LONG list of things to fix for TV"....yes...they do. But the REAL shocker is that FS1 ONLY Broadcasts the race. It's filmed...produced...edited...etc...by the NHRA. I did not realize that. He says NHRA put's it in the can for FS1 to beam out.
My 17yo was with us....first thing he says..."Where are the R/T's and the Qual spots on the graphic?"..."And why is the graphic so darn small. Race director looks at him and says....Good question.

Was a mess to watch for me personally but hopefully it will pick up and my biggest b&^%$h was the et`s not being posted after every pass to see who won BUT, better than any ball sports for sure.......

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 07:36 PM

I get the feeling that half the people here think we should go back to a flagman and 7" wide Casler slicks. That would make everything better.

And definitions do matter. Don't come into my shop and call a piece of tubing "pipe", unless you're using it as a slang term and really aren't that dumb. But really, we like calling an engine a "motor" to make the nerdy guys mad.

This is a tough crowd. Pomona sounded like a great event. They will get the TV show fixed.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 07:59 PM

A dragster is made of tubing and is called "pipe"......as in "got new pipe" or it's a "pipe rack".

Motor, engine, powerplant, mill, churn, heart...........whatever you choose to call it.....all mean the same and everybody KNOWS what you mean.

And if we want to get literal about the definition of a "motor".....oscaracme should actually look it up before he goes tossing around definitions of what is and isn't right. The definition is something that imparts "motion".......that can be electrically or mechanically driven motion.

Then of course there are the spin offs........such as "Motorsports", driving on the "Motorway" and the list goes on

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By Chassisman

I believe that was the case with ESPN2 as well. They just did the filming. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

If that is the case, how much more practice does NHRA require? If they haven't got it right by now, chances are they never will.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/16/16 11:01 PM

KNOCK THE CRAP OFF!! NOW!! Two members just got a week off. Who is next????
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By TooMany62s
I'd like to see NHRA take the superchargers and turbos off of the ProMod cars and make those the big inch, nitrous door cars. Leave the superchargers to the funny cars. Then make ProStock cars conform more closely to factory configuration. Use power based on available factory engines. Use factory chassis and bodies as opposed to tube chassis and carbon fiber bodies. Basically make the rules similar to what they would have been in the late 80's. Would some manufacturers be more competitive than others? Yep. That's called racing. Trying to make all the cars equal defeats the purpose of having a race. At least in my opinion it would make Pro Mod and Pro Stock more interesting.
They already have that, its called Factory Stock. You can watch all 3 manufacturers engines go head to head in FS/X,FS/XX,FS/A,FS/AA etc.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 12:47 AM

You just verified my point on the definition(I did say simplified) of a motor......power/driven from an outside source.

Frequent, incorrect use of a word still does change the definition.

I'll try to dumb it down a little more next time.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 01:00 AM

I don't think NHRA should go back quite that far,(although the fan excitement was probably better then than today) but maybe back to what worked at Pro Stock's peak for bringing in the fans.

I sometimes have to refer to them as "motors" too when talking to the left turn crowd.....some eyes just gloss over for a lack of understanding.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 01:45 AM

motor

See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: mo·tor
Pronunciation: /ˈmōdər/

Definition of motor in English:

noun

1A machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 02:13 AM

I guess you're still having a little trouble comprehending the difference. It's even in the definition that you just posted. Ponder on the words "motive power" for a little.

I guess the internal combustion part is what's throwing you off ....in that example, the transmission could be called the "motor" since that's what's supplying the motive power from the power source.

This back and forth seems a lot like the whole spark plug wide gap vs narrow gap thread......you had a little trouble grasping what some of the other guys were saying then too.

but it's ok, you can have the last word if it means so much to you. I won't reply anymore on this subject.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 03:29 AM

I found it painful to even dvr through... but considering I didn't even know who was leading in funny car as I watched the last race at Pomona in 15 on ESPN, I'm not much of an authority. Actually I'm rather impressed as this is the most conversation about anything national event related in a number of years! Ax pro stock and bring in 8.5 or 10.5 outlaw on an 1/8th mile! (whew! only had to log in twice trying to type this!)
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/17/16 04:38 AM

Quote:
(whew! only had to log in twice trying to type this!)

haha

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 07:55 PM

I want to Apologize to all on this thread, I normally let things roll off but I had a very poor Laps of judgment on how I actually would talk to everyone. It was a tuff week and I really want to apologize to all that were involved in my rant that gave me a week vacation.

I did miss the site while on my vacation from it.

Again Sorry for my behavior.

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 08:09 PM

You got a vacation for that? Unless I missed something that's surprising. shruggy

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 08:28 PM

I got out of hand and said things I should never say to someone. Even if they are my worst enemy(and nobody here is). I deserved it, provoked yes but still deserved. A lot was removed from this thread. as it should be.
Posted By: bracketcharger

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 09:42 PM

I don't care for the score crawler at the bottom of the screen.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 10:24 PM

Pedregon is terrible. Seems very confused and sounds like he is reading from a teleprompter. Lots of down time towards the end. The had plenty of time to show all the sportsman finals.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 02/23/16 10:38 PM

If Fox doesn`t get any better I would have to say ESPN did a better job.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 03/03/16 09:47 AM

Way better job in week 2 by FS1, flowed along real nice. A big plus the race was better to help out. Happy with the fuel winners.
Posted By: dagohman

Re: Fox sports 1 early review. So far so good - 03/04/16 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Way better job in week 2 by FS1, flowed along real nice. A big plus the race was better to help out. Happy with the fuel winners.

I agree 100%. I think it will get even better as time goes on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums