Moparts

Fastest Thermoquad?

Posted By: POZEST

Fastest Thermoquad? - 01/31/09 09:03 PM

What is the fastest car that you have seen running a thermoquad? Big block, smallblock, doesn't mater.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 01/31/09 09:30 PM

Steve Wann's 74 E/SA Dart runs 10.80's with one. There is a SS F body out of Louisiana that runs in the 9's I believe. Of coarse both of these would be small blocks.
Posted By: prochamp

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 01/31/09 10:53 PM

i ran 10.16 with one 345 inch w2 motor.mike wethington ran 10.07 last season in his 365 inch w2 lebaron.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 01/31/09 11:39 PM

all your small mopars in SS/IA and slower along with GT classes will be using a thermoquad...these would be 71 and newer engines also.

dont think a small block fits into SS/F class..

they probably only use them because they have too...
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 03:49 AM

They don't have to run a thermoquad, they could run the older 340 car and an AVS so there is some choice there and see whitch one they choose

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 04:21 AM

yes..and that is why i said 71 and new combos...
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 04:30 AM

I was just saying they choose the 71+ engines "because" of the thermo quad not "in spite" of it. Not trying to

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 04:31 AM

ok...
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 04:49 AM

Quote:

I was just saying they choose the 71+ engines "because" of the thermo quad not "in spite" of it. Not trying to

There's a reason NHRA factors the 71 340 higher than the 70......
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 06:08 AM

Is this on a T-shirt in-order ?

Attached picture 4990682-ThermoSquad2.jpg
Posted By: 440trk

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 06:45 AM

Quote:

Is this on a T-shirt in-order ?

Why of course, silly.

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 07:11 AM

Well TRKer ... WHICH ONE of us .. should do-it ?
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 07:20 AM

What is the best thermoquad to prepare for race use?

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 07:57 AM

The Competition TQ .. if you can find it. But other than that ... a good early one -- say off of a motorhome or truck.

NO NEED for some high $$$ parts ... just get a service manual and some hi-po tech articles from some past monthly magazines.

PLUS ... you will need that new and improved air-valve tool ! ....
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 01:33 PM

I've always run thermoquads. In my opinion they are the most advanced 4 BBL carb ever used on a production vehicle. The basic design was done in the sixties. Carter engineers were way ahead of their time using a composite bowl to insulate fuel and teflon coatings on the shafts. They metered fuel so well they were one of only a few 4bbl OEM choices in the smog/emissions era. You can set up an 850 thermoquad to run on a 318 without any problem. Extremely versatile carb for the flow.

Another interesting aspect is weight. Next time you get a chance pick up a thermoquad in one hand and a holley 4 bbl in the other. There are a lot of guys that took off their production cast iron TQ induction setup going to an aluminum intake and holley carb thinking they were going to save a bunch of weight.

Attached picture 4990965-vcovers013.JPG
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 01:41 PM

Ive seen them on a small block superstock Sebring car running 10 oh's with one. I went over and talked to the guys running it, and said they'd do anything to be allowed to bolt on a holley in it's place. NOt trying to , it's just what the guy said.

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

Ive seen them on a small block superstock Sebring car running 10 oh's with one. I went over and talked to the guys running it, and said they'd do anything to be allowed to bolt on a holley in it's place. NOt trying to , it's just what the guy said.

Very interesting ...and yes I believe that it has been said more than once.

BUTTTT don't you think a SS class racer would actually KNOW how much a Holley is "worth" over a TQ if he was making such a statement ?

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

INTERESTING statement ...and yes I believe that it has been said more than once.
BUTTTT don't you think a SS class racer would actually KNOW how much a Holley is "worth" over a TQ ?

He never said he didnt know..and it might not be worth anything et or mph wise... might just not like going through the hassle of making one work...

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 02:23 PM

OK .. but why would he say something like this without being specific ? .. and maybe he did not know how to tweak a TQ.

Was this guy competitive in SS ?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 02:26 PM

The biggest drawback to a TQ that I have seen anyone actually prove through testing on a big block was small fuel bowl capacity.

A buddy and I did back-to-back-to-back testing between a self modified 800 QJ, a Kenne-Bell 1000 TQ, and an 850 Holley on an 11 second 455 Buick GS. The TQ ran about the same as the QJ and the Holley was .3 and 2MPH faster. Same car, same day.

Yes, we had every available jet, needle, and needle/seat combo and just couldn't get enough fuel into either the TQ or QJ to make up the difference.

Of the three, my favorite was the QJ for simplicity and ease of adjustment.

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

OK .. but why would he say something like this without being specific ? .. and maybe he did not know how to tweak a TQ.

Was this guy competitive in SS ?

Who knows, I was just chatting with him a little.
Posted By: prochamp

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 04:14 PM

Quote:

The biggest drawback to a TQ that I have seen anyone actually prove through testing on a big block was small fuel bowl capacity.

A buddy and I did back-to-back-to-back testing between a self modified 800 QJ, a Kenne-Bell 1000 TQ, and an 850 Holley on an 11 second 455 Buick GS. The TQ ran about the same as the QJ and the Holley was .3 and 2MPH faster. Same car, same day.

Yes, we had every available jet, needle, and needle/seat combo and just couldn't get enough fuel into either the TQ or QJ to make up the difference.

Of the three, my favorite was the QJ for simplicity and ease of adjustment.

that sounds to me like his fuel delivery wasn't up to snuff or didn't make the right adjustments.the quadj.only has one bowl so fuel delivery is everything but the tquad has 2 bowls with nearly the same capacity as the holley.we ran a tquad on a 68 440 superbee a few years ago and went 10.50s without any problems with running out of fuel.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 07:11 PM

Quote:

The Competition TQ .. if you can find it. But other than that ... a good early one -- say off of a motorhome or truck.

NO NEED for some high $$$ parts ... just get a service manual and some hi-po tech articles from some past monthly magazines.

PLUS ... you will need that new and improved air-valve tool ! ....

Thanks!
Posted By: POZEST

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 11:01 PM

Quote:

i ran 10.16 with one 345 inch w2 motor.mike wethington ran 10.07 last season in his 365 inch w2 lebaron.

Attached picture 4992610-!cid__DSC00032_2.jpg
Posted By: sg1093

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 11:25 PM

There was a SS/GT Ford Mustang at the last DIV 1 race at Atco running a thermoquad, and I don't recall exactly what he ran but I think it was 9.60's
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 11:39 PM

Is there anybody selling re-worked/re-man TQs for racing?
Posted By: chargerron69

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/01/09 11:52 PM

iirc demon sizzler here on the board is the tq guy. maybe he will chime in on the subject

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 12:15 AM

Quote:

Is there anybody selling re-worked/re-man TQs for racing?

I know David (Demon sizler) rebuilds/sets up thermoquads and has a good reputation.

I've got a few 850 cfm remanufactured thermo's and could set one up for you (I have a race prepped carb. also).
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 12:21 AM

This Ford is a friend of mine. 460 with a 800 theromoquad I believe or small of the two, not the bigger one. He set the record in his class. Actually went 9.58 on that pass.

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 12:24 AM

Quote:

There is no doubt that holley and holley derivatives have won in the marketplace(decades ago). With that comes an abundance of research and tuning parts. When you step into the high horsepower thermoquad world you have to be willing to scrounge for old parts and/or make your own and do more testing. It is not the easy path. For lower HP applications the same is true but to a much lesser degree because most OEM parts are usable.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 02:24 AM

I can't imagine not being able to get enough fuel to and into a thermoquad. .120 seats will supply all the fuel you can ever use in one. As long as the rest of the fuel system is up to the task of delivering fuel to the carb you should be fine.
Everybody and his brother makes parts and pieces for Holleys, along with thousands of manhours doing R&D on them. What would you expect?
I love the thermoquad and as someone earlier posted, they were way ahead of their time and one of the finest 4barrels built. Sure you can throw money at a Holley and make it work, for a fraction of the cost I can make my thermoquads scream. Other than my time, I believe I've got less than $100 in a set of thermoquads on my 528, they flow well past 900cfm each. They give me outstanding fuel mileage, explosive response and acceleration. What more does a guy need? Dave
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 07:52 AM

When Thermoquads are being rebuilt where do new plastic main bodies come from? That was always the preached downfall- that youd find a Thermoquad and the main body would be cracked. I thought the bodies sold out decades ago.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 08:59 AM

Here maybe? In a Dakota no less..

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=8#Post4986088

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 01:47 PM

Quote:

When Thermoquads are being rebuilt where do new plastic main bodies come from? That was always the preached downfall- that youd find a Thermoquad and the main body would be cracked. I thought the bodies sold out decades ago.

This is another old-wives-tale. I have done more than my share of TQ rebuilds and tweaks and I have NEVER seen a cracked or warped "Plastic-Fantastic" main body.

Now I am not saying it has not ever happened .... but from what I hear -- it has happened only when the carb is exposed to very extreme comditions ... such as in a truck/motorhome application ... where the exh man flapper sticks closed and the carb is "torched" through the intake manifold. And then there is the EVER FAILING plastic floats ... that will sink due to the alky blands of fuel ... and this can cause a fire. But an EZ fix it is ... brass floats to the rescue.

And then the MOST FAMOUS "failing" of the TQ .. the secondary air-valve....the INfamous ThermoBog. THIS is brought about 99.999% of the time from operator-error in tuning this most important aspect of the carb.

But THAT can be corrected directly ...with the new-and-improved "Electric Banana" TQ AV tool !!
Posted By: JC Childress

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 03:01 PM

Shane Studley set the Super Stock GT/TB in his Thermoquad equipped 360 LA engine in his Dodge Dakota on Fri. He went a 9.82 ! Not too bad for 3050 pounds and cast iron headed, 9 to 1 comp small block huh ?
Posted By: DEMONSIZZLER

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 03:20 PM

The 'fastest' car I personally know of with a ThermoQuad, race-prepped(he assembled it from the machined parts I modified)runs low 6.20's in the 1/8 mi. It is a full effort racing build with mods that are pretty much hi-tech and well thought out.

Here is the of the car leaving the line......hard! :

Attached picture 4994247-dartwizer.JPG
Posted By: DEMONSIZZLER

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 03:35 PM

As for bowls, the larger majority are actually in good condition; only three ways I am aware of for the bowl to crack:
a)striking or dropping the bowl,
b)severe overheating of the engine,
c)water getting into the bowl and freezing.
Overheating will also 'warp' the rear upper corners of the bowl and repair is necessary.

These are the most common problems with the bowls; on Holley carbs, the corners of the base plate will break off and also it is easy to strip out the threads for the bowl screws in the main body. On Q-Jet carbs, you have main well leaks.

Bottom line is all models, styles of carbs have potential problems but the T.Q. is always going to draw the most complaints simply because it tends to be 'too complicated'.

But for me, it is the best carb in terms of 'cheap' hp, fuel mileage and it is lighter than any other 4 bbl carb, keeps the fuel cooler and all adjustments are external when jetting parameters are corrected. This means you do not need any more/extra tuning parts period. You tune each of the three main circuits from the outside. Can't get much simpler than that!

Attached picture 4994282-408motor.JPG

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 06:08 PM

This is all very interesting and good info. Has anybody tried running dual TQs? Will they fit on a regular(edlebrock)manifold?

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 06:13 PM

wrong pic

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 06:21 PM

Quote:

This is all very interesting and good info. Has anybody tried running dual TQs? Will they fit on a regular(edlebrock)manifold?

This guy here ....is all smiles !!

Attached picture 4994682-TQtr.jpg

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 06:25 PM

Cool...I figured they would fit on a TR ,,but will they fit on the eddy intake, i wonder?
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 07:29 PM

I had them on a low rise dual quad. I had to grind the back of the front carb and front of the back carb.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 09:24 PM

Quote:

As for bowls, the larger majority are actually in good condition; only three ways I am aware of for the bowl to crack:
a)striking or dropping the bowl,
b)severe overheating of the engine,
c)water getting into the bowl and freezing.
Overheating will also 'warp' the rear upper corners of the bowl and repair is necessary.

These are the most common problems with the bowls; on Holley carbs, the corners of the base plate will break off and also it is easy to strip out the threads for the bowl screws in the main body. On Q-Jet carbs, you have main well leaks.

Bottom line is all models, styles of carbs have potential problems but the T.Q. is always going to draw the most complaints simply because it tends to be 'too complicated'.

But for me, it is the best carb in terms of 'cheap' hp, fuel mileage and it is lighter than any other 4 bbl carb, keeps the fuel cooler and all adjustments are external when jetting parameters are corrected. This means you do not need any more/extra tuning parts period. You tune each of the three main circuits from the outside. Can't get much simpler than that!

Posted By: cgall

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/02/09 11:47 PM

I saw Prochamp running two on a tunnel ram one day, I don't know whose intake it was. I went over to take a look at it, he had already put the single 4 back on it.
Posted By: RedRam

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/03/09 12:42 AM

QuickD100 is running 2 TQ's/TR setup on his 528 hemi
Not the quickest by far, but I was running 7.2's in the 1/8th with a TQ on a mild 500 in my truck.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/09/09 03:41 AM

Where can I find the improved air valve tool?

I just traded a 12 pack of Busch Light for a 9118S TQ.

Going to try and find another 9118S for a dual set up later on.

Re: Fastest Thermoquad? - 02/10/09 03:56 AM

Quote:

Where can I find the improved air valve tool?

Why ... that beeez me ! ...send me an email and I will get a pic out to you ASAP.
© 2024 Moparts Forums