Moparts

Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon?

Posted By: camastomcat

Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/06/16 09:55 PM

I know some lucky people have received some hemi blocks, but has anyone heard for any wedge in the pipeline? Also, what would max bore be and approximate price?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/06/16 11:11 PM

about six months ago I ran some part numbers and the only good news was that they still showed some on back order..... meaning they haven't axed them yet.
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 02:02 AM

I am looking for one as well?? Is there talk of them coming back///
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 02:26 AM

NO not as of now there are none. I hear they may happen again but I also hear that some of the Hemi blocks are not exactly perfect either.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 02:37 AM

You would think there is a bigger market for wedge than Hemi? Shows how much I know.
Doug
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
NO not as of now there are none. I hear they may happen again but I also hear that some of the Hemi blocks are not exactly perfect either.
Can you tell us what youve heard about the new hemi blocks?
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 05:09 AM

I talked to someone at bill Mitchell a few months ago was told that February there first run should be done..
Posted By: SportF

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 05:41 PM

Indy is making Aluminum blocks.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 08:52 PM

You would think there is a bigger market for wedge than Hemi?

Not as many wedge people want $15,000 engines.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 09:15 PM

Be nice to just get some parts all at once instead of heads no block ..brand x looks better and better when it comes to building something now. .
Posted By: racerx

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/07/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By earthmover
Be nice to just get some parts all at once instead of heads no block ..brand x looks better and better when it comes to building something now. .
work
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/08/16 10:50 PM

HI,
I have a 4.50 bore and 4.31 bore on order for my shop,no ETA from mopar i'll post when there here

gary
Tasca chrysler
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 12:10 AM

Any idea how much they will be?

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 05:48 AM

I can build an entire 500 hp LS motor for what a bare block costs.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By polyspheric

Jeff, You are smarter than I ever hope to be but when you are a true Mopar believer cost doesn't factor into it. I didn't build my 605 thinking of the cost, I built it because I had to. And Jeff I intend no disrespect.Dave

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 06:52 AM

Sad but true...I love my mopar been had of my dusters for about 17yrs now had a Cuda Hurst pistol grip shifter rally dash loved that car also got a 73 chassis duster ..would love to build a bullet for it but there are no blocks..I love old cars going fast the easy of working on them..I could really care less of the brand long as I'm enjoying..sitting around looking at others race is no fun..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 07:13 AM

You guys are funny and I thank you for the laughs. Signed not sitting on the sidelines and Mopar owner and racer for life
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 07:16 AM

Indy has aluminum blocks.
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 03:18 PM

The price I've heard for the wedge blocks isn't that far off from what an aftermarket LSX block is. Rotating assemblies are fairly similar $$$ regardless of make. A killer top end for an old Mopar is where you take it in the rear.
Posted By: 66 Belvedere

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
You guys are funny and I thank you for the laughs. Signed not sitting on the sidelines and Mopar owner and racer for life

Yes there is some entertaining stuff.

Ray
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 09:17 PM

...and I could eat hot dogs for a week for the cost of a good steak. Why would anyone buy a steak if hot dogs are just as filling? Hot dogs must be better than steaks, and ls motors must be better than mopars. Although, it must get old seeing the same thing whenever someone opens the fridge/hood.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 09:56 PM

Some of the Mopar guys would rather whine than spend their money to buy parts. A good Friend of mine had both a 4.500 World block and a .030 over Mega block listed on Moparts for months before he could finally sell them. I ended up buying the mega block and it was cheaper than a band-aided stock block. I've had my fingers in 4 LS chevie bocks and everyone of them had the cam bearing ATE out of them. I've seen and heard of lots of Dart block (chevy guys again) issues too. Cry me a river guys. Some of you guys enjoy whining more than you do racing.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 10:26 PM

is 500hp the new limit of stock blocks? I personally would just use a stock one vs an LS for 500hp. Pretty soon the RB won't be able to handle a stock rebuild.

I have been phoning the dealership once a month seeing if they are available. Hopefully it's soon! I would assume they are filling up the Hemi orders before they even consider it. I also follow Koleno's facebook and it seems they aren't any closer to casting blocks again.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 10:46 PM

If I raced 3-5 times a year or drove it on the street I wouldn't think twice about building a low 9 second stock block engine. My last stock block engine made 275 passes (8.60's@2500 pounds) before I found a crack when I took it apart a few Winters ago. Some guys want to wind the piss out of them, crank up the compression, push the timing, and CHEAP-OUT on fuel.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 10:47 PM

Remember this is a Mopar site, so whining about how expensive race parts are is a given. If more people would open their pocket book and buy this stuff they probably would not go out of production in the first place.

Personally I was hoping it would be longer since I have a pair of megablocks at home. Figured it would be a good start on a great vacation smile Guess I will just use them now.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/09/16 11:40 PM

And people wonder why I am gun shy and replacing my 300 run aluminum rods in my pristine Mega-block.
Doug
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By dvw
And people wonder why I am gun shy and replacing my 300 run aluminum rods in my pristine Mega-block.
Doug

Go all the way in and buy an aluminum block to match those rods!

I don't blame you in the least - peace of mind is worth the cost of a set a rods any day!

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 02:01 AM

it must get old seeing the same thing whenever someone opens the fridge/hood

You mean, like everyone's goal: a Gen-II hemi? You know, "for the wow factor"?

Strangely, this same argument was current when people started replacing their 150 hp (3/4 race) Ford flatheads with 200 hp (stock) 1949 Olds, 1949 Cadillac and 1951 Chrysler junkyard engines.

Sorry, the combination of easy availability, low costs, and super power is very compelling.
For those not familiar, the LS series features:
1. Aluminum heads (yes, every single one). Despite the comments that appeared here in the Trick Flow post, multi-angle valves (BBC, Boss, 385) are not needed for excellent ports. All LS heads are wedge with parallel valves. 2007-* 6.0 & 6.2 square intake ports (including trucks) flow over 300 cfm as-cast, as-installed.
2. Aluminum blocks in all cars and many trucks. New factory replacement aluminum block: $1,200.
3. 6 bolt cross-bolted main bearings caps (yes, every single one).
4. Factory cast crankshaft safe to over 1,000 hp on boost (less N/A or nitrous).
5. Factory 1.7 rockers are safe above 6,500 RPM.
6. Stock pushrods are only 7.4" long.

LS engines are almost 20 years old, get used to it.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 05:13 PM

Killed a couple of them one a Hemi and one Wedge both were steel rod motors FWIW. Also both were engines I bought not built. Word to the wise if you buy a racecar or engine from someone might be best to just freshen it and replace some stuff smile leaned my lesson unfortunately. One reason I am not a huge has of a steel rod they tend to destroy stuff.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 06:27 PM

Al, did you repair those blocks?
Doug

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 06:40 PM

The Hemi was repairable, small hole and pan rail was all. The Wedge block was a total disaster. It is sitting on the side of the house. It is missing a 1 foot section on one side and about 10" on the other. Got the bottom of the bores on 5 holes and destroyed the cam tunnel. I actually gave away the Hemi block to a buddy and bought a new one.

This is the other side..It was WAY worse than it looks here. It was broken for about a foot down the rail. Only the pan was holding it together. Sad part is we only had 11 passes on it since acquiring it and it was a nice pre world block that had bushed lifter bores too..Oh well live and learn

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 07:03 PM

Whining is the Ford 9 inch cowl hood nothe a mopar stuff...no blocks to build is a fact..my builder doesn't want a aluminum block I did but he knows more then me or I wouldn't need him..some of you guys was born with a mopar in your mouth not me I've been had mopar so since I was in my early 20s 44 now..I don't collect and hold parts for future use..I own a small business that I collect parts for ..I tried bill Mitchell about blocks waiting to hear how they come out..as far as kb I just can't see sending 3000 and waiting till they ready to do something. .again small business owner ..so I'm not whining I'm stating fact. .like I said whining is telling people your no mopar cause you got a 9inch cowl hood or cause the valve is Chevy angle predator head lol that's whining. .

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 07:12 PM

Why would he object to an aluminum block, let me guess holing on to some out dated thinking that you will give up HP because of the aluminum block? Just curious. Letting a lack or iron blocks stop you from building an engine is outdated thinking. If it is a cost thing I can understand that, but frankly if you want to build a Mopar engine it is the only opting right now. So I fail to see the issue...

You can call Indy(preferably a dealer)and have an aluminum block at your door next week.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Why would he object to an aluminum block, let me guess holing on to some out dated thinking that you will give up HP because of the aluminum block? Just curious. Letting a lack or iron blocks stop you from building an engine is outdated thinking. If it is a cost thing I can understand that, but frankly if you want to build a Mopar engine it is the only opting right now. So I fail to see the issue...

You can call Indy(preferably a dealer)and have an aluminum block at your door next week.

iagree
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 07:29 PM

It is mind boggling to me that Mopar has their heads so buried in the sand? At the end of the day, it comes down to supply and demand, and they obviously don't see it, as a money making venture. I have had every type of Mopar block, from iron to aluminum, and it is incredible to me that, as of today, Mopar makes ZERO blocks, both big and small blocks, all (or most) of the vendors are hard to get stuff from, including World, KB, and last but not least, the holier than thou geniuses at Indy, who think they have a clue, when they are some of the biggest horse's a$$es on the planet. Oh, forgot the nightmare that is the Ritter block. So glad that my stuff is gone, and, due to the block and 20+ year old cylinder head technology, except for the Gen 3 Hemi and Predator stuff, I will probably never do another Mopar, if things stay the same.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/10/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By B1CUDA
It is mind boggling to me that Mopar has their heads so buried in the sand? At the end of the day, it comes down to supply and demand, and they obviously don't see it, as a money making venture. I have had every type of Mopar block, from iron to aluminum, and it is incredible to me that, as of today, Mopar makes ZERO blocks, both big and small blocks, all (or most) of the vendors are hard to get stuff from, including World, KB, and last but not least, the holier than thou geniuses at Indy, who think they have a clue, when they are some of the biggest horse's a$$es on the planet. Oh, forgot the nightmare that is the Ritter block. So glad that my stuff is gone, and, due to the block and 20+ year old cylinder head technology, except for the Gen 3 Hemi and Predator stuff, I will probably never do another Mopar, if things stay the same.

Thank you..coming from someone who has been there done that. ..

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 01:05 AM

I'd take a nice aluminum block in trade for my Mega block.
Doug
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 02:57 AM

In my case I run my car in F.A.S.T so aluminium would not fly.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 03:16 AM

Paint it orange smile
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 03:30 AM

Paint orange with magnetic paint. that way when they break out the magnets, you won't be caught out in the field. LOL.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 03:45 AM

And Stealth heads too. That will really fool them.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 09:13 AM

Nothing new.... But we sure have much better parts to throw money at now than we had 30yrs ago.

Btw who's offering an aluminum low deck now?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 03:50 PM

KB and Indy both do low decks in aluminum.

Re: Just curious, are wedge blocks being cast anytime soon? - 02/11/16 05:59 PM

iagree With what he said...The FAST guys will see the light eventually. NHRA has with heads and rods and likely will soon on the blocks as well...
© 2024 Moparts Forums