Moparts

Rod Shop Challenger on B/J

Posted By: Keith Richards

Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 07:20 PM

Thought this was reasonable last night, car sure looked good on TV anyway...$44k with fees.

Rod Shop Challenger
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 08:23 PM

That is one of my all time favorite Mopar class racers from the 1970s!
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 09:04 PM

I Watch Dave race this car throughout the 70's I was at Indy in 76 in the final with Don Bolles were he beat Don in the finals for the SuperStock I have pictures of that race somewhere in my archive's !!!!!! 😃😃😃😃
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 09:08 PM

Somebody got a steal!
Posted By: ww63

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Somebody got a steal!
Another great car previously owned by FE
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 09:24 PM

Who's FE thanks??

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/30/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By dwayne welder
Who's FE thanks??
Fred Engelhart, bought it two years ago on the way to the US NATIONAL. Corrected a bunch of mechanicals and brought to legal ss/ja trim, raced a couple times and sold in Oct-Nov Great car and Dave a great driver!! No need to fluff the story on this World Champ
Posted By: upnover

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 12:24 AM

ya that seems like a great deal, seems like race cars are hard to put a accurate value on.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 01:11 AM

So how much did it go for ?
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 01:49 AM

ONLY $44,000
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 03:58 AM

is that cage legal?
Posted By: Jamie McGrath

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
is that cage legal?

Well it was last raced in Sept, 2015.....
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By Jamie McGrath
Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
is that cage legal?

Well it was last raced in Sept, 2015.....

Doesn't make it legal. I know many cars that get raced that aren't up to the rules.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 07:22 AM

It is set up for S/ST IA which is currently a 10.70 index, this has been 3/10's under at 10.43 @128 so a ways away from needing a cage cert. at 9.99. If that motor is legal sounds like a pretty good running 383.

From BJ:
This is an historic piece of NHRA and Mopar history. Professionally Restored and race ready, this is the original Nationwise Rod Shop World Champion Super Stock Challenger driven by five-time World Champion Drag Racing Hall of Fame Driver Dave Boertman. Starting as a body-in-white directly from Chrysler and built to be one of the trickest Super Stock cars of all time, the roll cage was installed by Herb McCandless, the front fenders were cut and moved forward and rear wheel wells were stretched and enlarged so the whole suspension of the car could be moved forward 2" and still measure correctly for inspection, the engine was also moved back 2". The rear bumper was recessed in 1" and filled with 75 pounds of lead and the gas tank was hollowed out on topside and fill with 50 pounds lead, all of which went undetected. The car is powered with its original-as-raced 383 short block with many trick modifications with updated heads, rocker gear, and cam shaft all of which have been recently freshened backed to a fresh all Aluminum 727 with straight cuts and Torringtons. Automatic transmission. All safety items have been updated; seat belts, tires and brakes. This car is ready to go racing tomorrow. This car has been well taken care of and its history is well known. It comes with complete owner history, vintage photos, and lots of magazines. Not only is this car a display piece but it is also race-ready today. It was last raced in September 2015 where it turned in a 10.43 at 128mph leaving with the front wheels in the air. This car truly represents a time past and could be a cornerstone in any collection or museum. **SOLD ON BILL OF SALE ONLY** **NOT STREET LEGAL**
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 07:54 PM

While the ET does not require a cage......by NHRA rule, if you choose to put a cage in the car anyway, it MUST be legal. So to answer question above, NO the cage is not legal

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 01/31/16 11:00 PM

SS/IA requires cage, SS/JA does not, no cage required. I Owned the car and that was a good buy. SS/JA index 11.00 I think. Legal motor. Just sold ALOISE ss/ba aluminum front and door car for 31k.
Posted By: topside

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 02/01/16 01:35 AM

Doesn't surprise me that the car was a bit "extra-legal"; that car & Bobby Warren's Camaro were tough to get past in SS/IA back in the day (I own Ed Hamburger's SS/IA Duster, which has some cleverness but not that much), according to the guys I know.
Another really worked-over car is the Hamburger/Bachelder/Chipman Demon, which is still around in Maine.
That Challenger looks great, it's a significant car, and from my perspective, a good deal. I know I'd take that kind of money for my car.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 02/01/16 01:49 AM

I would have thought it would go for more. realcrazy
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 02/01/16 02:33 PM

somebody got a deal!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 02/01/16 08:42 PM

Damn sure couldn't duplicate it for that price....very nice car...someone's very happy smile

Rickster
Posted By: 66coronet

Re: Rod Shop Challenger on B/J - 02/01/16 10:55 PM

I see a common theme. This car was also built by McCandless.

© 2024 Moparts Forums