Moparts

Wayne County speed shop

Posted By: Airwoofer

Wayne County speed shop - 01/29/16 08:27 PM

Adger Smith told me that the B1 heads on my KOS Demon 499 were built by Wayne County. The car was first campaigned in 1996 by Hardesty. The nefarious break in at the shop, vandalism of the motors, and subsequent demise of the Dodge Boys was in 1995. Does anyone know if Wayne County was still doing heads after that break-in? I wonder if the heads I have were one of those sets that they were running or if they still were doing heads after the break-in.

Darn things have been milled to 47cc which makes it hard to convert to a street motor on a Vortech.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/29/16 08:29 PM

Koffel's Place I
4300 Haggerty Road
Walled Lake, MI 48390
Phone: 248-363-5239
Fax: 248-366-0748
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/29/16 10:22 PM

Are they on a wayne county block , and are they t/s heads?
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 04:10 AM

They were still open for a few years after the incident. I think they changed ownership at one point. I would have to ask my friend for more exact details as he lives in Wayne City about 10 miles from Fairfield where the speed shop was located.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By Airwoofer
Adger Smith told me that the B1 heads on my KOS Demon 499 were built by Wayne County. The car was first campaigned in 1996 by Hardesty. The nefarious break in at the shop, vandalism of the motors, and subsequent demise of the Dodge Boys was in 1995. Does anyone know if Wayne County was still doing heads after that break-in? I wonder if the heads I have were one of those sets that they were running or if they still were doing heads after the break-in.

Darn things have been milled to 47cc which makes it hard to convert to a street motor on a Vortech.
I doubt they are anything special........just some heavily milled B-1s. And just because Hardesty ran the Demon in 96, doesn't mean he didn't have the motor well before. He had the RR before the Demon
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 08:16 AM

Was WC doing the heads or was Koffel?
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ

Low deck KB block. The thing was just under 500 CI with a 3.85 bryant crank. I do not know what makes a TS head but these have Ti 2.44 IN and 1.88 EX valves.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 06:38 PM

Post a pic of the engine.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 06:40 PM

Low deck KB block. The thing was just under 500 CI with a 3.85 bryant crank. I do not know what makes a TS head but these have Ti 2.44 IN and 1.88 EX valves.

Sounds like they are the M/C heads with a larger
valve... the M/C came with a 2.4 intake.. yeah
your gonna have to buzz that engine to make use
of the heads
wave

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/30/16 08:52 PM

The engines they were running had heads and blocks that were not compatible with any mopar block. If they bolt on to a KB block, they were not in those PS cars of the period.
That's not to say they didn't come from wayne cty, just that they weren't in the PS cars.
The B1 ts head is a canted valve head. The heads they used on the PS cars were...."bigger"
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 01:30 AM

The engines they were running had heads and blocks that were not compatible with any mopar block. If they bolt on to a KB block, they were not in those PS cars of the period.
That's not to say they didn't come from wayne cty, just that they weren't in the PS cars.
The B1 ts head is a canted valve head. The heads they used on the PS cars were...."bigger"

So, if they weren't mopar blocks, what were they?

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 01:47 AM

Wayne County Blocks. Wider bore spacing. I never had my hands on one.
I tried ordering t/s p/s heads, and was informed by the parts depot that they were special ordered, and fit wayne county blocks exclusively. I have no idea who made these blocks, or if they were just a wide bore spaced chevy block with different bolt pattern.
I tried ordering them in maybe 1994 or 5. They were listed in the MP catalog, but I don't think the blocks were.
I'm pretty sure the early B1TS head bolted directly to hemi blocks, used the drains and needed the hemi pushrod clearance. They were symetrical port canted valve heads.

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 04:40 AM

I have a set of 4.840 bore space TS heads with the "Wayne County" pattern, which is essentially a HEMI head bolt pattern, spread to fit the 4.840 bore space.

They used GM "style" blocks in those years..........I think.

Airwoofers heads are just standard B-1s I am pretty sure. May be MCs, but I don't think so

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 04:42 AM

I have a set of 4.840 bore space TS heads with the "Wayne County" pattern, which is essentially a HEMI head bolt pattern, spread to fit the 4.840 bore space.

They used GM "style" blocks in those years..........I think.

Airwoofers heads are just standard B-1s. May be MCs, but I don't think so, but he says they have 2.44 intakes.....so could be
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 05:31 PM

ts heads are spread intake port......not siamese like b-1. totally different. Which is what I recall seeing them run in the articles at the time, they would cover the intake with sheetmetal as I recall also.

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 06:09 PM

this is a pic of a t/s head engine. Found this pic in a search on here.

Attached picture 5041102-block.jpg
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 06:58 PM

It was a Phoenix Block that was used...
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 01/31/16 10:18 PM

the block of the motor in the pic looks to have Chevy style motor mount bosses.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 02/01/16 02:08 AM

Or a Donovan...
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 02/02/16 01:48 AM

In 96 Hardesty was using Transact power and Indy heads. Later he went to Adjer.
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: Wayne County speed shop - 02/02/16 04:38 PM

A friend of mine used to supply blocks to WC. They were referred to as P&S blocks. As Monte mentioned, they looked more like a Chevy block (ie no side skirts). He also made Chevy blocks for a time too.
Smart man, not afraid to try anything. We still have a early 80's ProStock Chev motor that we got from him.
© 2024 Moparts Forums