Moparts

What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM?

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 06:29 PM

Just curious to see what everyone is running for front drive set up on a Big Block Mopar/HEMI with a front plate & vacuum pumps? I currently have the electric Mezeire water pump motor in the stock aluminum water pump housing. Just need to come up with something to drive the alternator & vacuum pump.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 06:36 PM

You can build any sort of pulley arrangement off the damper by using a mandral.

Attached picture spline.jpg

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 06:38 PM

Who's mandrel or set up is that?
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE

I would bet it is something Andy F Makes. He makes most of his stuff.
Jerry
Posted By: dartman366

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 07:16 PM

That pic answers my question about how the mandrel and crank trigger go's together. thumbs
Posted By: dvw

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 09:02 PM

GZ pump and bracket. Welded a boss on the Meziere pump for the alternator. A slot was cut in the motor plate for at belt adjustment.
Doug

Attached picture 0520121701a.jpg
Attached picture 0504141500.jpg

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE

I think it is a Petersen BBC drive kit that I modified to work on a Mopar.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/16/16 11:46 PM

My mandrel is GZ.
Doug
Posted By: rebel

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 12:17 AM

home made pulley, home made mandrel here.

Attached picture 2012-09-27 22.47.39.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 12:32 AM

I use Peterson Spline drive front drives
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 02:35 AM

Hopefully, your damper has a Chevy bolt pattern in the front. If so the choices of NICE front drives is endless. Personally, I HATE the mandrels that just thread in the end of the crank. You can't turn the motor with them vs the 3 bolt mandrel, that is anchored to balancer and has the option on the front of mandrel to turn motor. I typically use a Star Machine drive
Posted By: evenflow

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 02:57 AM

Star machine

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 02:58 AM

I turn mine with the crank bolt, no issue.
Doug
Posted By: LA360

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 03:03 AM

I made one for my friends Big Block, I didn't allow for the engine to be turned over, so I will be making it again with a drive in the front.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By dvw
Doug
What keeps the crank bolt from backing out if you try and turn motor backwards

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By dvw
Doug
What keeps the crank bolt from backing out if you try and turn motor backwards

I don't turn it backwards. Always taught the Jessel belt should only go forward. Haven't had a need to turn it backward. Not sure if the engine rotational break away torque would exceed the break away torque of the crank bolt. It would have to exceed 135lb/ft.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 04:05 PM

I got all my parts for the front drive from CV Products
which is a roundy round company
http://www.cvproducts.com/
wave

Attached picture W9_5.jpg

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 06:21 PM

I agree 100% with using a chevy pattern front on your balancer. One issue it creates with some of the drives it attachment due to the size of the bolt and the way the balancer sits in a BB Mopar. We modified my Peterson to work with a stock bolt and washer set up. Or they sell spacers to go between the hub of the spline drive and balancer. We did not like the way the spacer looked so just modify the spline drive hub to work with no spacer

Attached picture image_zpsrkqhhv0u.JPEG
Attached picture image_zpshs9jyz7r.JPEG
Attached picture image_zpswu5xxgip.JPEG
Attached picture image_zpsmunuqgrh.JPEG

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 06:23 PM

Hopefully makes sense. We use an ARP washer, cut down grade 8 bolt and then machine the back of the drive hub. All because we did not want to run a spacer smile

Attached picture image_zpswxfpw4jb.JPEG

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 08:10 PM

Al, it is a little less work to buy the extra thick BBC spline drive blank from Peterson. They sell one that call a blank but it is mostly machined already, just extra thick. It clears the Mopar bolt.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 08:19 PM

I made my own. I prefer to have more then 3 bolts holding it to the damper.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 08:40 PM

All depends on where the other components fall I suppose. For us flush works best. But when I called they were fairly clueless what to do other than ad a spacer. Not sure how thicker would help unless the hole was opened up as well??? The B1 on the Cuda was the same way

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/17/16 08:43 PM

FWIW when the Cuda had a Hemi it used an Aerspoce on, so does the dragster. IMO it is a big pile of crap. It is simply to long and don't care for the allen bolt in the end as the only way to turn motor by hand
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/19/16 03:46 PM

I use the DMI low mount alternator bracket setup and a junk Aerospace vacuum pump. When, not if, it fails again, I'll replace it w/ a GZ pump.

I use a drive mandrel setup from CV products. It is the nicest setup I've used. Each pulley and spacer is pinned so they lock together and just use a through bolt to hold the "stack together".
I like it a LOT better than the Aerospace, Moroso, and Enderle drive setups.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/19/16 11:21 PM

Thanks guys. Still looking at options & this all helps out alot for any of the custom machining i will need to do.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 12:09 AM

You might not need any custom machining if you bite the bullet up front and go with a Chevy bolt pattern damper from ATI.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 12:18 AM

I used a Weaver Brothers 1.00" Drive mandrel and made a bolt out of 4130 All thread. Screwed a nut on it and welded it.

Attached picture Picture 003.jpg
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 12:27 AM

Pic #2

Attached picture Iphone 2 223.JPG
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 02:00 AM

I use the stock bolt behind the mandrel like Al

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 06:57 AM

Here is a picture of a custom Mopar spline drive mandrel that I built a few years back. This was before I got smart and started using the BB Chevy pattern.

Attached picture mopar_spline.jpg

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Here is a picture of a custom Mopar spline drive mandrel that I built a few years back. This was before I got smart and started using the BB Chevy pattern.

Thanks. Yes, this is the same boat I am in since my ATI damper has the factory 6 bolt pattern.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 07:12 PM

FWIW...mine is still the normal Mopar pattern. I have a crank trigger also.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 08:28 PM

I made the custom drive by ordering the spline blank from Peterson and then drilling the bolt pattern and counterboring the backside for bolt clearance. It isn't a big job for a decent machine shop. Peterson might even have a Mopar spline these days. I made mine 6 years ago so maybe they've added one since then.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
same here. but all I am going to drive is an alternator and vac pump, have a good machine shop close by so it shouldn't be a issue to fix somthing up.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 09:08 PM

Buy a new balancer, lots more options for sure.

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By dartman366
same here. but all I am going to drive is an alternator and vac pump, have a good machine shop close by so it shouldn't be a issue to fix somthing up.

I've had no need to machine anything up. shruggy

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/20/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By dartman366

I've had no need to machine anything up. shruggy
I should of added "if needed" at the end. LOL
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: What is everyone running for front drive set ups on a BBM? - 01/21/16 07:10 PM

Ron's, Enderly, Kinsler, Hilborn all make mandrels that work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums