Moparts

Elephant Ears...where to buy?

Posted By: Hot 340

Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 05:17 AM

Anybody know of a supplier for old school bb/hemi a body two piece elephant ears? Ive been digging online and can come up with much. I see some from comp engineering, not sure how well they work. Not interested in a big motor plate.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 05:51 AM

i have Comp Engineering motor plates, they fit well but if i had more HP i'd probably look for thicker ones. I like CE's plates as they allow plenty of room top mount things like Alternators, vac pumps, coils & relays.

Attached picture 2011-10-13_23-05-08_515.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:02 AM

Andy makes a nice one. cool

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:09 AM

Andys is ok but it's 1 piece & doesn't allow for mounting accessories off it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 07:18 AM

I always thought elephant ears were often just full size plates that got widdled down as each owner saw fit for his application. work
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 07:28 AM

I never liked the ears... they would always come
loose being that they moved being 2 separate plates..
they hinged on the bolts
wave
Posted By: markz528

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
they hinged on the bolts
wave

Totally agree!

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By markz528
they hinged on the bolts
wave

Totally agree!

I don't know about your racecar maintenance but we do regular "spanner checks", & constantly check things for tightness. maybe it's your plate design, but mine fit in between the chassis rails. once they've been installed & tightened, there's nowhere for them to go anywhere even if they did somehow get loose.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 03:32 PM

they hinged on the bolts
wave

I agree Mr. P.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 03:50 PM

they hinged on the bolts
wave
Over the years i have heard that same complaint from other people, had one fellow tell me that once he added engine limiters for the fore and aft movement and that helped the problem alot. shruggy
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By Hot 340
Anybody know of a supplier for old school bb/hemi a body two piece elephant ears? Ive been digging online and can come up with much. I see some from comp engineering, not sure how well they work. Not interested in a big motor plate.

Sent you a PM for what you are looking for

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: gofastboater

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 04:01 PM

Years ago I found a pattern for them. I have used it to make many sets. My latest set I made out of 1/4" SS and had them polished. I could possibly send the pattern to you.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 04:34 PM

Try Mancini and Competition Engineering,we custom build the ears and full engine plates
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:43 PM

I have a set that I bought years ago and never put a big block in my car. I now have no plans to so they are available.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:51 PM

I had a friend that was breaking tailshaft's because the 'ears' were allowing movement so he switched to a full motor plate. The ears that Rebel uses look like they have enough mounting points to do a better job for sure, I actually like that idea for my car as it would eliminate the thickness of the plate which puts the water pump snout only 2.75 inches from my radiator, it's just a street car anyways. I do love my AR-Engineering plate though, it works good and looks really nice.

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:53 PM

After looking at it more, I might be wrong. Rebel, do your ears go between the block and water pump? Hard to see on my phone.

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 06:55 PM

My plate

Attached picture 20130819_205108.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 08:07 PM

Andys plates not only are nice and heavy duty but they look great too. I will be buying another small and big block one in the near future.

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 08:18 PM

Two piece mounts will NEVER be as rigid and solid as a one piece plate................doesn't matter if you tighten the bolts after every run

A BBM does not have bolt holes in the bottom of the block to help hold the plate in place, like Chevy motors do, so clamped behind the water pump mounts is it, that's all you got. Gives a scissor effect as MrP says and it always will. The holes are never precision, so they come off and put them back on, they may or may not be in the same place. If you ever need a screwdriver to line them up with chassis.........SOMETHING moved. May not be big deal for many, but the two piece ones do move around
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 08:43 PM

AndyF's plates are the best I have seen or used...it also clears the Jesel belt drive too!

my 2 cents, Mark
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/01/16 10:06 PM

I made my own elephant ear plates close to 50 years ago, I set the engine in place and cut and fit cardboard to make a template, not hard to make. As mentioned above the torque of the engine will continually ruin the water pump gaskets no matter how much maintenance you do. To solve my problem I welded a plate across the top to join both pieces together. As the accessories go, I had the back of the stock water pump housing machined off the thickness of the plates. This was tricky as the holes open up as it is cut back, my plate was 1/4 " thick steel. On my housing it couldn't be machined any more unless the inner housing was welded up to realign the holes. On motor plates, I now use AndyF's on both of my cars, never had a gasket water leak problem and they look good too. Thank you Andy for putting out many great products for our Mopars.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Elephant Ears...where to buy? - 01/02/16 01:26 AM

Ill get a plate then. Thanks for the info given here. And thanks for the pms from people offering to help me find what I inquired about. thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums