Moparts

hemi or wedge

Posted By: slomoshun

hemi or wedge - 12/20/15 09:23 PM

just for fun if you were going to build a new engine for a pulling truck which would you build hemi or wedge? what bore and stroke? what heads? here are the rules
1. no power adder
2. single 4150 carb
3. 472 cubes
4. no alum head
5. no alum block
6. no dry sump
Posted By: ahy

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/20/15 09:41 PM

Just for fun an answer... given no aluminum heads, I'd go Hemi. The OE iron heads can make a lot of power. It would have to be geared to allow the engine to run pretty fast... up to 7000 RPM or even more on a max effort deal. An iron Siamese block would get you the cubes with a standard 3.75 stroke crank with around 4.45" bore.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/20/15 09:42 PM

Hemi cast iron heads are going to make a lot more power than any stock BB cast iron heads. If you look around a bit you might find a set of Indy -1 cast iron heads. If you can find the iron -1 heads then it would be cheaper to build a wedge and it would probably make just as much power.

Another option is to find some older cast heads from a NHRA super stock guy. Heads that are no longer competitive in SS might work just fine for a puller engine. Might need a sheet metal intake though to work with the heads since they move the ports around in those things.

Big bore and short stroke will make the most power. Then you'll have to sort out the gear ratios to make it pull hard.

Good luck either way.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/20/15 09:44 PM

Set of iron 440-1 heads in race parts for sale right now and priced very well.

JUST SAYIN.
Posted By: twayne24365

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/20/15 11:58 PM

Mike of mrl performance built an engine for a pulling truck with the same ruler, that build was featured in hotrod

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1307-dodge-pulling-truck-chrysler-400-engine-build/
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/21/15 12:17 AM

Iron indy heads
Posted By: astjp2

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/21/15 12:33 AM

Don't they make a 1000 cfm 4150 now? I would do a Hemi, but that is because I am partial to Hemi's. Initial cost might be more but I think that there is more torque potential with a single carb tunnel run. Tim
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/22/15 07:22 AM

Hemi with a Barton intake on it.
Posted By: cudacustoms1

Re: hemi or wedge - 12/22/15 12:43 PM

I have seen several guy's try the -1's in the 4wd trucks and the same thing happens. They run ok but never get to the front.I have ran 572-13's with the same problem. If i was going to try it and they didn't have a rule outlawing hemis (just about every lower level pulling club dose). Thats the way i would go. The build cost might be alittle more at first but you will also have something that is worth a lot more in the end. There are more tech/parts for the hemi also.If you do build it keep an eye on your bearings/oil pressure. Both tend to suck the pan dry on long runs. Trut me! I learned the hard way. Good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums