Moparts

Antifreeze questions for a new motor

Posted By: G-Money1320

Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 02:42 AM

I have to winterize my car for the winter and was wondering if anyone knew about the new red/orange/pink coolants. My motor is all steel except the heads. What are the benefits of the new style coolants over the old green kind, does it have any better anti-corrosion capabilities. What do you guys run that run it. I know most of my recent big trucks all have been using the red kind since about 09. Thanks for any advice. Greg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 03:14 AM

DON'T use the red stuff. It coagulates and makes a mess. Look up class action suits on Dexcool. I can't tell you how many plugged up radiators and heater cores I replaced when working at the dealer. I've never had any issues with my stuff using standard green coolant.
Doug
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 03:28 AM

What he said.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 03:34 AM

Dexcool is a different dog than most out there.... search on the subject and it becomes very confusing. You'd probably do just fine with the green..... although I use the Chrysler pink/orn 5/100000 coolant when I'm not using my aluminum headed, aluminum radiator, iron block combo.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
DON'T use the red stuff. It coagulates and makes a mess. Look up class action suits on Dexcool. I can't tell you how many plugged up radiators and heater cores I replaced when working at the dealer. I've never had any issues with my stuff using standard green coolant.
Doug

I must be really lucky cos so far no issues on anything I`ve worked on over the years but thankxx 4 the heads-up and I`ll have to read up on that. thumbs
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/13/15 11:25 PM

I use green in my 512. My wife's 2003 Grand Prix had Death Cool in it and I had the system flushed and changed to universal.
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/14/15 02:12 AM

I just put the green stuff in for winter, flush and fill w /straight water for summer.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/14/15 07:17 AM

Dexcool is one of the worst things gm has unleashed on the public that hasnt directly resulted in a death. And that's saying something.

If you want the best green stuff, look for g05 or something along those lines. Been a few years for me. Seems to be kinda hard to find on the shelf so might have to order in.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/14/15 07:39 AM

Thanks!! Green stuff it is,I guess like most other things newer is not better.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Antifreeze questions for a new motor - 11/14/15 08:00 AM

The Red HD coolant is fine, it's not at all related to the DexCool. It has additives to protect against cavitation- a big problem in large Diesels. I use the GO5 for better protection, I have aluminum heads,WP, Housing, radiator and t-stat housing. The green stuff can work, just check for voltage buildup or flush regularly. twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums