Moparts

Plug Gap with MSD Digital box

Posted By: Pink Dart

Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 09:30 AM

What kind of plug gaps is everybody running in an Indy headed small block?
Just curious
Thank You
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 02:30 PM

I have always had good-luck with keeping the gap on my Autolites around .028-.030 and in all my years of racing have never gone over .035 but I run the MSD 7AL3 box. Never really saw a reason to open them up more.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 05:40 PM

In the old dayz it was .060 w/msd but that seems excessive so .035 seems to work real well n/a at least and NGK`s for me......
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 06:29 PM

I've ran .035-.045" and saw no difference on my street/strip small block.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 06:31 PM

I go .045 with the 6AL. Going much bigger than that and the strap is not square with the electrode on most plugs.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I've ran .035-.045" and saw no difference on my street/strip small block.
Same here with my big block,i go 35.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 08:43 PM

Champion C63CX. It has a cut back ground electrode. Go to a lower number if you think you need a colder plug.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/11/15 11:06 PM

Keep opening them up till the et falls off. Has a lot to do on how fast a coil you have. Make sure you have sharp, flat, squared edges, spark does not like round corners.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/12/15 05:11 AM

Indy Big block, take the NGK plug out of the box and put it in the head. I think they are .030" ish... I don't bother to check them.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/12/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By Bigcube
Indy Big block, take the NGK plug out of the box and put it in the head. I think they are .030" ish... I don't bother to check them.

iagree Feel free to try whatever gap you want, but if you're not having an issue w/ the spark blowing out due to high cylinder pressure...I don't think you're gonna see a difference.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/12/15 04:29 PM

I have a buddy that works at Roush, for what is worth he told me they have spent a lot of time experimenting with gaps. In the end he told me there is so little gain, they don't even worry about it most of the time. Big gaps can cause issues (spark blowout) , and small gaps don't hurt power.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 11/12/15 04:31 PM

I talked to MSD tech at dragweek a few years ago. I was having problems with one of there boxes and he recommended I close the plug gap from .035 because there was no power in it. I closed it up and it still misfired but he was very clear that the more gap you have the harder it is on the ignition pieces. I solved my ignition troubles by running away from MSD.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Plug Gap with MSD Digital box - 03/09/16 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By Pimp
All these Mopars are weak and should be used as boat anchors.

Bye. Sorry you had to leave so soon, rice boy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums