Moparts

Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep?

Posted By: HemiStan

Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/09/15 11:29 PM

I have got three different B/RB Lakewood scattershields but I really don't need three.

One is strictly for a 143T flywheel.

One is for either a 130T or 143T flywheel.

One is for either a 130T or 143T flywheel but it has a very heavy duty removable bottom section.

Are there any pros or cons to the three? Is the one with he removable bottom section factory (it looks like it is)? Does anyone have a personal preference?

I will probably end up keeping two but I definitely do not need three!

Thanks.

Stan

Attached picture IMG_20151109_162009_551.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 05:23 AM

The removable bottom is a big help for adjusting pressure plates. The fact that it fits both size flywheels is a big plus also. If you never installed a Lakewood shield in a car before, you're in for a treat. Do you have the starter install kits for them?

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 06:56 PM

I will probably keep the two bellhousings that can be used with either flywheel. The one with the removable bottom; is that a factory piece from Lakewood?

I do not have the starter installation kits for either one. I have been checking eBay every now and then for them but I haven't seen one for sale in a long time. I will keep looking.

I ran the other Lakewood in a couple of cars. Very fun..... I particular enjoyed dialing the bellhousing in by myself.... I can't even begin to count how many times I had to crawl back and forth from under the car as I would turn the crank 90 degrees and repeat the process.

Stan
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 07:16 PM

Sell all three of those outdated stamped steel il fitting bells. Buy a new QuickTime and never look back.
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By fourspd340
I will probably keep the two bellhousings that can be used with either flywheel. The one with the removable bottom; is that a factory piece from Lakewood?

My Dad has also has a bellhousing with the same removable lower section. Though I think they are less common, I assume it was offered through Lakewood after seeing others. It would seem that it would offer some benefit, perhaps for removing the clutch or possibly flywheel without removal of the bellhousing? shruggy
Posted By: booger

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By fourspd340
The one with the removable bottom; is that a factory piece from Lakewood?

Yes. I bought one new back in the 78-79 timeframe.

It was a replacement for the factory aluminum bell in my road runner that split radially one day. The pistol grip shifter about beat me silly before I could get the car stopped. I was lucky it didn't drop the transmission on the ground.

If you're installing any of those laying on your back, the Harbor Freight transmission jack works great for lifting it up and down and up and down while you're dialing it in.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/10/15 10:04 PM

Keep the 2 piece one for sure. They are fairly rare. No need to buy a new can. You have to be [censored] me if you think 99% of the guys on here are going to notice 15-20 pounds of can weight. Hell, most of us can afford to lose that much weight off ourselves.

You should be using some form of adjustable pressure plate. That 2 piece bell makes it WAY easier to adjust the clutch, which you should be doing.

Re: Three different B/RB Lakewoods. Which one(s) do I keep? - 11/11/15 10:55 PM

All good information. Thanks!

Leon, you are probably right...

Stan
© 2024 Moparts Forums