Moparts

Better 60 foot times?

Posted By: Wagonmaster

Better 60 foot times? - 11/07/15 09:04 AM

I'm driving a buddy's car 1/4 mile at a time. He is not able to, but gets a kick out of still seeing the car go fast.

So, my reaction times average in the .3 - .4 range [best is way quicker, won't talk about the worst], but the 60' times are around 1.9 - 2.0 range. Am I worrying too much about the techie side of drag racing? BTW, I am ETing 12.50s in a 3,700 lb car with a 4-gear and 4.11 gears. M/T drag radials, not much spin.

Thoughts and input, please.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/07/15 03:58 PM

If it's not bogging down, and doesn't have excessive spin, it sounds like your launching dead on. You can probably play with launch rpm, tire pressure and chart results. Pinion snubber, Caltrac's or the like will help. What engine and gear box?

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/07/15 09:04 PM

I guess my question is will a better 60 foot time really make that much difference? That is my primary curiosity. Back in the day, I don't seem to remember even being concerned about anything but the ET.

I feel the car is doing about as well as it can. My launch technique is a bit erratic, so I can't blame the car for that. The best runs have been on about a 3,750 RPM clutch release, following a good tire heat.

It bogs a bit if I leave with a lower RPM and I have hit the limiter, with spin with a 4K launch. Still dialing it in. I guess I'll have to wait until spring for much more, as this coming week it goes in the shop for a set of fresh PRS CNC heads and a .600/.264 roller cam.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/08/15 12:14 AM

You should be able to drop at least 2 tenths off of the 60 foot. That will drop the ET at least three or four tenths.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/08/15 12:31 AM

Driver mod, or put a good converter and 3 speed in it.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/08/15 01:17 AM

A lot of times a race is won at the 60 ft mark as It does make a huge difference in E.T. As mentioned before a .2 reduction in
E.T. can mean .4 on the long end.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/08/15 09:05 PM

What's your mph?
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/08/15 09:23 PM

Slicks (bias ply) may work better for you than drag radials with a stick car.

I too am curious about the MPH.

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 04:06 AM

Reaction time: .573

60 foot: 2.017

1/4 12.511

MPH 113.12

I don't think it's too terrible for an old man in a used car...

I just don't remember the emphasis back in the day [60s and 70s].
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 04:13 AM

Sixty foot matters a lot. My husband's Challenger (pictured in avatar) runs 11.70's at the same 113 MPH. Sixty foot 1.60.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 08:23 AM

I ain't a drag racer at all but just repeating what my mentor told me decades ago (sounds simple but I am bored/cant sleep!) regarding this which was that 60 ft times are chassis related and ET's are a function of horsepower. I'd look at the chassis/driver reaction

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 10:08 AM

"I'd look at the chassis/driver reaction."

Both are seasoned.

I am 60, the car is 37.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 07:10 PM

Your RT's: Gett a practice tree. It can help you develop a reflex rythem even if you go through different motions. I footbrake but practice with a button. It translates to more consistent reactions at the track. But go for consistency rather than actual reaction time on the practice tree. (Unless you have an adjustable "rollout" and can get it close to what the car is doing.)

Car RT's: That's not easy. You may have to use shorter tires and other tricks to stiffen the suspension and frame.

60' time: I don't know enough about sticks to offer a lot of advice. But I know it's not easy. If you are not spinning or just a little, it can be "bogging" or just "flat". Don't know the rest of your combo, but I know of old 273 wagons with auto transmissions needing 5.13 to 5.57 gears to get their weight moving with a little engine. If you improve your 60'times with that weight, you'll have to watch for weak links in your drivetrain!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By Wagonmaster
"I'd look at the chassis/driver reaction."

Both are seasoned.

I am 60, the car is 37.
"seasoned" driver and car makes little difference. That sixty foot is slow for a car with that mph. It seems to have decent power, but is definitely NOT putting it down early. Pick it up two tenths in 60ft and the car will likely be nearly a half second quicker at the same mph
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I ain't a drag racer at all but just repeating what my mentor told me decades ago (sounds simple but I am bored/cant sleep!) regarding this which was that 60 ft times are chassis related and ET's are a function of horsepower. I'd look at the chassis/driver reaction
Sixty foots AND ET is a function of setup and chassis. MPH is a function of HP
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith

Gald you caught that Monte.

MPH is HP and ET is chassis. Then you have to figure out if the MPH is up and the ET is slow, or is the hook good and the HP down.

I.E. 12.50 @ 155 MPH would suggest the car didn't hook.
12.50 @ 85 MPH would suggest the car hooked but made no HP.

OP...what clutch are you using???
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/09/15 10:34 PM

A bias ply tire will work better in this application than the drag radial.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/10/15 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Now that you corrected me on this I am remembering that it WAS MPH not ET that is a function of HP that my mentor had stated (it was 32 yrs ago!). thank you for the correction.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Better 60 foot times? - 11/10/15 08:25 AM

As said above at nausium..... 113 mph says you're making enough power to go into the 11's. Work on the launch and all available chassis modifications to get that thing to transfer weight, then keep hitting the clutch with more RPM, until the tires spin.
© 2024 Moparts Forums