Moparts

Brazing cast iron

Posted By: twayne24365

Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 12:21 AM

I have a set of fully ported 452 heads and they were epoxied on the side of the ports. One of the pieces of epoxy was loose so I carefully ground it off. Would it be better to braze these shut or re epoxy them?
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 12:26 AM

ONLY if you know how to braze cast iron, you could make scrap out of them fast.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 12:58 AM

There is a tig rod out, that doesn't require a preheat and is supposed to work really well. I'll see if I can find the name of the filler material.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By R5P7Duster
There is a tig rod out, that doesn't require a preheat and is supposed to work really well. I'll see if I can find the name of the filler material.

Silicon/bronze. I would still suggest preheat but it works very well.
Doug

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:33 AM

You can use silicon bronze, but I'd use EZ Weld tig filler rod.

You can buy it here

EZ Weld tig wire

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:50 AM

That ez tig filler seems interesting, I'd assume it's better than just the flux coated brass rods?

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:55 AM

Well the flux coated brass rods are only for oxy/acety welding.

I'd much rather use a gas lens, with a 12 pyrex cup. That way you can get the tungsten in the port, be able to see, and have plenty gas coverage.

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:57 AM

Great setup for tight places.

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 01:57 AM

So that rod has to be used in conjunction with a tig welder? Good thing I know someone that has one

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:01 AM

Yes it's for tig welding. Without shielding gas it's not going to work properly.

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:04 AM

Ok, well thanks! That gives me some hope, I hate to see these ol heads go to waste, someone definitely put some money into the porting, pushrod area has been tubed as well, I just don't trust the epoxy, especially if I go e85

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:05 AM

Regular er70s you could use with a torch, but with a custom blend, I'd ask the manufacturer.

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:11 AM

Well for 27 bucks that ez wire may just be worth a try
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:28 AM

I vote for the epoxy. Splash zone seems to work for most... I would not weld them. Too many successful applications of epoxy in heads to chance welding it up...
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 02:30 AM

I Had a crack in the bowl in one of my well ported 452 heads. I took it to an a very good old guy at the welding shop to try and braze it. He could not get it to seal up. On a side note, If you can't get it fixed I have a ported 452 I would sell cheap. grin
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Brazing cast iron - 10/20/15 03:43 AM

If all you want to do is fill a void then epoxy is a safe method. If you need to repair a crack then it has to be welded. Brazing doesn't cut it. In "the old days" you would arc weld it with ni-rod. I know nothing about tigging cast iron but if I were doing it I'd want to pre-heat the whole head. Bob Glidden used to use a pizza oven. I think a good size gas bar-b-que would work just fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums