Moparts

Passenger Side shock with Hemi???

Posted By: 65 Hemi

Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 03:45 AM

On a 64-65 B body do you need to cut and reverse the shock tower with a 426 Hemi???
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 04:36 AM

I have always heard that was the case. Never tried it myself, though.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 06:23 AM

Just changed the stud mount to eyelet,welded 2 tabs under the shock tower.

Attached picture 1.27.13 009.jpg
Attached picture 2.28.15 007.jpg

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 01:40 PM

Thanks for the picture. Has anyone tried moving the engine over 1" to the drivers side. I'm running a rack, so no steering box.
Posted By: hangemhigh

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By B1 Polara
On a 64-65 B body do you need to cut and reverse the shock tower with a 426 Hemi???

Yes you do. With the help of some reference pics, we'll be doing that to our '64 in the next few weeks. In the spirit of looking correct, it'll be inverted just as the factory cars were. I'll post some pics at that time if anybody is interested.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/17/15 10:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to find a solution because my engine compartment is done.

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By hangemhigh

Yes you do. With the help of some reference pics, we'll be doing that to our '64 in the next few weeks. In the spirit of looking correct, it'll be inverted just as the factory cars were. I'll post some pics at that time if anybody is interested.

Yes please, pics of the cut out piece before welding and how it's turned around. I have pics I took of one that was done, but not sure how it was sliced and diced.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 12:52 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to find a solution because my engine compartment is done.

What rate springs on coil overs? Got a pic of wheel side? Who's k-frame? Thanks, getting to that point on my 64 Savoy.
I think you'll need two bolts for bottom of wing mounts, track tech told me I needed two, grade 5 or better.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969

What rate springs on coil overs? Got a pic of wheel side? Who's k-frame? Thanks, getting to that point on my 64 Savoy.
I think you'll need two bolts for bottom of wing mounts, track tech told me I needed two, grade 5 or better.

I will take some pictures but Bob Pro Fab made the entire kit. He can guide you on spring rate. Search Bobs Pro Fab Mopar and it will come up.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 03:57 PM

no you dont have to make it like an original unless you want it to look like one. mine was moved over 1 inch and i have no problems.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By ro23car
no you dont have to make it like an original unless you want it to look like one. mine was moved over 1 inch and i have no problems.

What I wanted to hear, any problems with headers on driver side? Tunnel? I'm using a 4-speed so I can cut down the z-bar

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 04:35 PM

no but my headers are from dawson in california. they are slip togethers and i have an automatic.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 04:58 PM

Thank you. What series do you race? Do you race NSS? Also do you have any pictures?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/18/15 05:55 PM

Was the trans mount moved with it or was the engine/trans assembly "twisted", i.e. just the mounting moved over?

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/20/15 08:46 AM

no nothing moved just moved the hole toward the outside of the car.

Re: Passenger Side shock with Hemi??? - 10/20/15 07:04 PM

I've had three 64s, my first in 68, last two, race cars. When doing the cage and frame on the one now I never realized how much the whole tunnel is moved over (front to back) to pass side. Learn something new every day i guess.
© 2024 Moparts Forums