Moparts

Cometic head gaskets, first time user???????

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 05:54 PM

Finished the short block on my 572 Keith Black engine last night and both the block and my B1 heads are smooth finished for Cometic gaskets. New gaskets, prepped finish, now should they go on dry with a silicon sealer around the water ports or do you guys spray them down with copper coat or something similar. Studs are being used. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 06:21 PM

I drilled out the brass grommets & gave all the surfaces a coat of copper-coat. I have no leaks. They come off with a little fineness without any damage.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 08:20 PM

Same thing here. Zero leaks.

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 08:49 PM

Thanks guys. No silicon around the water ports?
Posted By: RT540

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 08:49 PM

Had both block and B1 heads to à machine shop with à sunnen top deck. Stones to very smooth surface. Went on dry, no sealer and no problems.
Remove the rivets that where on the short sides, as they would have been jammed.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 09:03 PM

Mine are dry.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 09:26 PM

I never put anything else on them and never had a problem. The theory is to use them dry but I can't quite bring myself to trying it after hearing others with issues.

A little off topic here but I am getting ready to try some copper gaskets on a very high compression pump gas engine to wick away heat faster, not sure what I will use on that.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/19/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By HotRodDave
I never put anything else on them and never had a problem. The theory is to use them dry but I can't quite bring myself to trying it after hearing others with issues.

A little off topic here but I am getting ready to try some copper gaskets on a very high compression pump gas engine to wick away heat faster, not sure what I will use on that.

Lots of luck with that... try the copper spray to seal
wave
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 12:17 AM

I put mine on dry the first time.... When I reused them I drilled out the rivets and sprayed them with copper spray sealer. No issues either time!!
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By RT540
Had both block and B1 heads to à machine shop with à sunnen top deck. Stones to very smooth surface. Went on dry, no sealer and no problems.
Remove the rivets that where on the short sides, as they would have been jammed.

Same here - dry and no issues.

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 12:37 AM

I'm leaning towards dry especially since I am only putting this together right now so I can get the new car out for some passes this year NA before Winter. The engine will be out again over the Winter to make it more nitrous Friendly.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 01:23 AM

I always use them dry. That is what Cometic recommends and usually it makes sense to follow the mfg instructions.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I always use them dry. That is what Cometic recommends and usually it makes sense to follow the mfg instructions.

I agree--crazy not to listen to the guys that made them and I say again..
Coppercoat is NOT a sealer--it is a messy old product from the way back days when all they used were steel shim gaskets--usually only diesel mechanics used the stuff--it is not what you want--I guess you guys still have Indian Head Gasket Shelac too???
When we re-use Cometics we spray with Hylomar spray in the can
Costs stupid high like $60 a can range but will allow re-use of Cometics SEVERAL times --Hylomar will seal it Period!

The only reason Cometics leak water is incorrect surface RA finish--ya can't deck a block with an old Storm Vulcan machine and use MLS gaskets--if RA finish is per spec and they are installed dry like noted they will seal up.
I am actually a big fan of adding a stop leak to any new build--It is a cheap and effective way to happiness.
We start new engines everyday--and even with perfect finish, thick gaskets etc sometimes a little water will dribble out between head and block--I run the hell out of them and by the time they come to temp usually it stops like magic--with stop leak in it always does --

Every horror tale about MLS leaking water is poor finish or clamping the rivets between something
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 02:39 AM

That 572 is going to make you one HAPPY racer!! It may cause rear end, heim joint, trans, converter failures etc--heck it might even bend the roll cage smile
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By crabman173
Originally Posted By AndyF

I agree--crazy not to listen to the guys that made them and I say again..
Coppercoat is NOT a sealer--it is a messy old product from the way back days when all they used were steel shim gaskets--usually only diesel mechanics used the stuff--it is not what you want--I guess you guys still have Indian Head Gasket Shelac too???
When we re-use Cometics we spray with Hylomar spray in the can
Costs stupid high like $60 a can range but will allow re-use of Cometics SEVERAL times --Hylomar will seal it Period!

The only reason Cometics leak water is incorrect surface RA finish--ya can't deck a block with an old Storm Vulcan machine and use MLS gaskets--if RA finish is per spec and they are installed dry like noted they will seal up.
I am actually a big fan of adding a stop leak to any new build--It is a cheap and effective way to happiness.
We start new engines everyday--and even with perfect finish, thick gaskets etc sometimes a little water will dribble out between head and block--I run the hell out of them and by the time they come to temp usually it stops like magic--with stop leak in it always does --

Every horror tale about MLS leaking water is poor finish or clamping the rivets between something

I used the Hylomar on copper gaskets(15-1 comp) with o-rings, what was recommended.

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By crabman173
That 572 is going to make you one HAPPY racer!! It may cause rear end, heim joint, trans, converter failures etc--heck it might even bend the roll cage smile

LOL. No this car is from North Carolina and those guys can build cars down there.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 03:24 AM

I put them on dry......just as Cometic says. When I reuse them, I just put them back on, still with no sealer. Have reused a set as many as 6 times on a 632 nitrous motor that saw 3 kits of nitrous every pass it ever ran. Never leaked

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 03:36 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By HotRodDave

I use flatout copper head gaskets.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 08:38 AM

I normally put them on per Cometic instructions, dry thumbs I have used Copper coat on a used set that was shedding the viton(or what ever the rubber looking coating actually is confused) coating per a customers demands, no difference or sealing up problems on his motor though confused shruggy Maybe there is more than one way to seal these rascals up work

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 03:43 PM

If they can be used 6 times then the price is not so bad.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 04:20 PM

Which Hylomar do you use?

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By WO23Coronet

I used the blue spay, didn't know there was more than one.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Cometic head gaskets, first time user??????? - 09/20/15 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Originally Posted By WO23Coronet

I used the blue spay, didn't know there was more than one.
hylomar also has it in a squeeze tube but the spray would be the way to go, it was origionally developed to be used on jet engines and is actually made for/by Rolls Royce
© 2024 Moparts Forums