Moparts

Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing..

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 07:33 PM

Just curious on how you see yourself in term of racing and the racing community. Trying to keep this simple as possible. I did use drag race terms, but I want to see all forms of racers reply. Circle track, mud bog, truck pull etc.

So there are four options.

One for those actively racing and chasing points at a local regional or whatever level.

Second those who see themselves more as the test and tune types, maybe hit the occasional race but it is more about getting the most out of what you have rather than chasing points etc.

Three is former racers. People who used to race or even just went to test and tune events looking to optimize what they have. But you no longer participate actively in running a car. Maybe you are now an engine builder, crew chief or have some medical reason you can no longer race

Four you simply are a fan of racing. You have never really actively raced at all. Maybe you have taken car to the track a couple of times in your life but you are basically just a fan of the sport.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 07:51 PM

Former test and tuner.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 07:52 PM

I just race for fun anymore because I just don't seem to have as much disposable time and money that I used to. About 10-15 years ago I used to run for points but the track and times have changed,they quit putting money in the local track (dragway 42) and eventually it was sold and sat dormant until a racer bought it and now it's under MAJOR (millions$$$) restoration. Maybe when it's completed I might race more often if time allows.
I just like to dial my car hard and run it out the back door every pass devil But it's also nice to go rounds too shruggy
Gus beer

Attached picture my savoy.jpg
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 07:52 PM

I almost forgot to vote, I was more shocked a drag racer recognized other forms of racing! stirthepot

My mud trucks are on the trailer heading somewhere almost every weekend from mid June to mid September, unless I break something. Our lovely Canadian weather doesn't allow much more then that or it would be an all year thing.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 07:57 PM

I race too much.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 08:37 PM

I put former racer as I can't afford the time and $$$ to drive 4 hrs each way to a track so I mostly build hot street engines for the locals useing what I learned in racing. I mostly did drag racing but a little 24 hrs lemons and auto cross. The lemons thing was the most fun you can have on 4 wheels.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 08:43 PM

I choose former racer as I have crewed on a blown alcohol pro mod last year and I am crew chief/tuner on an Outlaw 275 car presently. With my business of wiring, plumbing and fire suppression products I have several customers cars that keep me busy at the track and the shop. I do still own the 69 Dart small tire car and the Dakota PST, I hope one or both are race ready in 2016.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:21 PM

Phoenix test, Vegas test, March Meet at Famoso, Match Race Madness at Barona, two more tests in Vegas...... I consider myself a high horsepower camper. No points, no performance goal, look for fun events. Hope to hit California Hot Rod Reunion and Street Car Supernational this fall. Nothing but a hobby..... I put TnT type smile
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:22 PM

Al you missed an important catagory.There should be one for those who life is centered around racing.Especially those who have made any type their vocation or livelyhood.They are the hardcore that race,build and are involved in the racing business.I can truely say that everyone at BGR hardcore racers but feel no one of your catagories is less important to the sport.We feel that to qualify anyone by a number value in a specific catagory would deminish their efforts and importance to the sport.We feel racers,former racers,test and tunes and fans all have an impact even though it different aspects of the sport.If we lose any of those people in any catagory,it's a loss to our sport.If I have misinterpeted you poll,I apologize,if not its a redundant poll since if racing was just for racers the sport would be gone a long time ago.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:30 PM

I hit "test and tune" cause I really don't have the patience to hang around all day and night at a race. I just like to run down the track, and it's a 5 mile drive away from my shop.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:44 PM

I hit T&T. My car is and will always be street/strip, no way can I justify a dedicated race car. I do bracket mine on occasion.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:46 PM

Need one in between active and test n tune. Our crew hits all the Mopar Events in Cali and Vegas as well as an occasional West coast/ANRA.

No points just do it for the Fame!

Attached picture mopar-2363-L.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:50 PM

I'm a test n tuner and Drag Weeker. I race a little during the season then I race for 7 days straight in September, then I hit a few more test n tunes then take it apart and change something before the next season. The drag week deal helps satisfy a huge chunk of racing. 7 days of passes(if you test on sunday) and total submersion in drag racing for 7 whole days and nights, its hard to beat!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 09:53 PM

Uhhhh... I'm a former active racer turned test & tuner turned former test & tuner until I get my junk back together again.

I have no freakin' idea what button to click. tonguue
Posted By: ebigga67

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 10:09 PM

I'm just a fan. I am building a street strip car though, but it most likely won't see much track time until I change jobs and where I live. Even then the cost to race consistently and meet the above definition of a racer is just too much for me.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 10:28 PM

Does street racing count? LOL!

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 10:50 PM

Street racing....... Definitely test and tune! smile

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 11:02 PM

Lets not overthink things here. Just thought it might be interesting to see the results. Bob FWIW I would consider the activities you describe as an active racer. All of us that race and chase tend to be all in, not half in. This is not a scientific deal here, not trying to single any person or group out just thought it might be interesting to see what we get is all...

Everyone seems to want to find a hidden agenda in everything here anymore.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 11:08 PM

I voted active but not currently in a points chase.

I am welding up an Anti roll bar .
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 11:08 PM

oops! I re-read the thread. I will delete my post. Sorry!
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 11:16 PM

Last couple of years I've been just about like J Body describes, just hit a few NSS races a year, they are pretty scattered out, don't live close enough to a local track to run weekly, biweekly points. I'm better looking than Jay, but he's the better driver, inactivity hasn't helped my lights any. When I lived out west in Wyoming I raced regularly at Salt Lake, Vegas, Boise, Douglas Wy a few times a year, but there is no doubt that 300 miles back east is longer than a 300 mile trip out west.

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/05/15 11:20 PM

Ted your post is fine. All posts are fine.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:18 AM

I took a two year break from the streets until a couple months ago and have a dedicated car built for it as well as a bracket car.

Way before the stupid F and F movies street racing has its own rush and for me it started before I was even old enough to get my DL.

There is a pretty tough group around here and factor in all the things that are not controlled or scripted and its nuts.

I might be getting too old for it, my first time out after two years was cool on the run but I got home and was so wound up I tossed my cookies.

Maybe ive just realized how much can be lost so easily that goes way past the actual race.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I hit T&T. My car is and will always be street/strip, no way can I justify a dedicated race car. I do bracket mine on occasion.

Same here..............I love driving my car sometimes more than racing BUT, love to tweek it and see the lower et`s at the track AND take a few bucks on the street. beer
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:29 AM

I am a former test and tuner. I'm not making what I was 7-8 years ago and pretty much priced the fun out of it. My Dart hasn't made a pass since 08. I did run my Jeep SRT8 a while ago but won't do it often since I don't want to break my daily driver.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:30 AM

I checked the I race box as I do race almost weekly. But honestly I LOVE test N tuning and getting the most out of any given combo. 40 years of racing and never had an engine on a dyno, and never will. I'm not a very good bracket racer but I don't play the game like many of the younger ones do. They spend their last dollar with double entries, double buy-backs, and and other way they can buy more chances to win. PRP had a 3 day 10,000 dollar be day race last weekend and guys were double entered (350 + 350 = 700 dollars) and I watched some loss and double buy back for at 200 per day. PURE CRAZINESS. What I am really looking forward to is some heads-up racing but its looking like I won't hit the track with that car till 2016.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:54 AM

Not sure where I fit either. I am at a track somewhere most every weekend and may be working on one car, or ten, or more. Those cars may range from a COPO stocker, with a Holley ECU, to a blown alky Pro-Mod and everything in between. My duties will range from tuning, to chassis setup, to sometimes driving. If the owner can't get it down, I WILL get in the car myself to see if it is him or the setup. Also have guys who bring me cars and say "just call me when it runs X and I will come get it". I plumb manifolds, do EFI conversions, wire cars, do chassis setups, build motors and do the occasional driving for some grudge guys, although I don't consider myself a "hired gun" and would just as soon tune it. In the shop right now.......a 10" tire car from Canada, with a EFI 525 and nitrous. A Firebird street car with a 525 pro-charger motor and FAST EFI. An outlaw radial car being wired for EFI.........Just finished a PDRA Top Sportsman car, EFI conversion.............Going to New Zealand in December for two weeks to tune on an EFI nitrous car with a 900" motor.

While I still have MY car, with my schedule of working on everyone elses car, I guess I can't currently call myself a "racer" as I don't have time to race it
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:03 AM

I put racing on the back burner for now. When I was 16, I won High School Drags, offered a job at Norwalk, then out of the Navy, got offered a contract deal if I could find a crew. I was good. Could cut the tree down, and was on track to be a "Drag Racer". I wound up with the wrong girl, went the boating way for awhile. Got back in the biz with my GTX. I was again, getting my talent back. Then made a street car out of it, then family came. Back in the biz, a real biz now, so it gets me involved with racers a dozen times a day. Takes me to tracks I've never been, and I love it. Building a car now, for nearing 3 years. Hoping the time gets available, but I'll never be into it like you guys are for a long time. We'll see what this 71 Road Runner gets me able to do.

Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:05 AM

I am an active racer chasing points but I am having a terrible year for some reason and probably won`t qualify for the Bracket Finals for the first time in a couple of years. I mainly run Street Eliminator points but the last two years I have been running some 11.50 index races with my friend driving at one track and me driving at my local tracks new this year 11.50 index class and we are really liking it, the pro tree is tough but I am starting to get the hang of it.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:06 AM

I put myself in the race category, simply because I do enter bracket events every time I get out, which is limited. So you could count me as much a test and tuner, but I cherish a round wins once in a while!
Posted By: JGriffit

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:18 AM

Chased points in NHRA Division 5 and 6 till we got started on a family. Took 20 years off and now starting back with a few Bracket and 6.0 races. Even won a few bucks last Sunday.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Duner

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:28 AM

I'm a former racer that is now a test and tuner that will go and race at events that interest me - when I have both the time and money to do so.

58 years young.

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 01:57 AM

Well my choices are maybe a bit narrow in scope. Just figured everyone would put themselves where they best fit. I think ALL serious racers are out to get the most from their combo they can. Whether that be consistency or ultimate ET I think all racers fit in the T&T crowd.

To me the T&T crowd are to me guys looking to go quicker or trying new stuff. They may enter the occasional race but winning a bracket race is not their goal. Running better is their goal. I know MANY guys who fit in this category, whether it is because of time or budget or family obligation constraints they are happy to get out when they can and generally are looking for a new personal best every time they go out.

Keep the replies coming. I think it is interesting to hear how everyone thinks of themselves in this hobby. Also to see the mix of people who hang out in the race section by vote. AS for just being a fan, nothing wrong with that at all we love fans of racing, no matter what type of racing it is. Might be interesting to see some ages too. We need more young blood in motorsports for sure.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:10 AM

I need the option that says " Car broke (still... or again) so I'm sitting at home with my thumb up my bumm
Posted By: dvw

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:31 AM

I much rather race than test. I enjoy the competition. Being on a budget I don't chase points. But I'm deadly serious about winning when I'm there. Setting up for 4 weeks racing in a row starting next weekend. Very excited.
Doug
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:59 AM

I would like to be a regular racer in a points series but I would not be able to dedicate the time or money to do so at this point in my life. (45, 2 small kids, life, etc.) Guess I would be the T'N'T type.

I go to nostalgia/Mopar events when I can. I've been to some divisional points meets just to check it out. Never been to a National Event though, would like to go at some point. I will say it's tough to sit there and watch all day and not participate.

I'm still pretty green though, wish I had more racing experience. Went to drag racing school about 15 years ago but did not end up completing the course to get a comp license.

Trying to finish an engine and trans. build this month then hopefully I can get out some before the end of the year. Once my car is done, I will go to regular t'n't days when time allows to get more runs. My car is always apart for something too but hopefully the new motor and trans will be it for a while.

Also don't have a truck/trailer right now and the closest track to me is 80 miles one way through NYC traffic. Trying to remedy that somehow but need to finish the car first.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:11 AM

Actively breaking parts 😉
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:31 AM

I'm 54, no young man by any means.

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Not sure where I fit either. I am at a track somewhere most every weekend and may be working on one car, or ten, or more. Those cars may range from a COPO stocker, with a Holley ECU, to a blown alky Pro-Mod and everything in between.

tuning fuel injection..... guess that makes you a "key board racer". I remember when that was a bad thing! laugh2
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:48 AM

Racer...

Won the first round of the Mopar Challenge Series, last two races have been rained out so I'm still enjoying my lead, finished 3rd overall last year.

I do like making laps, but it's nothing like racing for money and points.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:59 AM

Former racer but trying to get back. My problem, I dug myself into a hole at 66 trying to rebuild my 64 Savoy into a Hemi nostalgia car, pro street my 73 Barracuda, street srtip my 70 Duster and install a new gen 3 in my 69 notchback Cuda. I'm running out of time I know but I do love working on them, and I do it all from cages to the paint. I did buy a SRT 392, might take that to the track to keep me sharp. If I die tomorrow I'll still be a happy guy.
Almost forgot, someday I'm going to finish the 69 m-code Barracua too, brain fade! Can you imagine just keeping up with the parts for each one. Wife said I would take up five vender spots a Carlilse just sell the "junk" lol
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 04:00 AM

the girls like to go to the TnT for practice...and I use it to try different things...but we also race the bracket races at LVMS..
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 04:22 AM

I really like TnT. I pretty much suck at racing. a 0.520 light is a great r/t for me. I usually only make it to the second round when the other guy screws ups. I would probably do better with some slicks and not working to not blow the tires off.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 04:36 AM

so far so good racing, 3 wins and top ten in points at two different tracks. and still had time to run some 5k and 10k races, although i cant put anything together at those money races. still having a good year so far.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire

Just curious on how you see yourself in term of racing and the racing community.

Lets not overthink things here. Just thought it might be interesting to see the results. All of us that race and chase tend to be all in, not half in. This is not a scientific deal here, not trying to single any person or group out just thought it might be interesting to see what we get is all...

Everyone seems to want to find a hidden agenda in everything here anymore.

Nice thread Al,

I often wonder if racing has really changed that much, or if our expectations are what has changed! Bunch of 50+ year old guys around here who have been on this board for 15 years, and raced much longer.

I still love the sport, and I still love the cars. At the higher end of competition, it seems the cars just become a piece of equipment used to turn on win lights, and I've come to realize that the romantic, nostalgic gearhead in me is turned off by that notion.

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 05:30 AM

You need to haul your junk to March Meet at least once Billy..... I really enjoy that event whether I go rounds or not. So far I'm 2 for 2 for making it to Sunday! There's just so much cool stuff at that race.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 05:45 AM

street raced alot thru the mid 80's. now just a test&tuner ET chaser. i like just hanging out in the garage tuning or adding something new to the car. its my sanity. got to have it.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 05:56 AM

I like old cars that go fast. I LOVE metal work, engine technology, and driving a powerful manual trans combo.

My driver's license is essential for me to make a living in my current occupation.

My street pounder is getting a pump gas combo because race gas pumps are drying up and a roll cage so it passes tech at a good track. This way I can drive down to town, beat the car until it either breaks or the weather gets too hot and then off to the river or whatever. Oh, this will also keep me from losing my DL and my job lol. Maybe my involvement will increase if we get some reasonable heads up classes going at the local track in Medford, OR.

I applaud you guys that are hardcore. It gives me something to read about between making money, spending money and sleeping!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 06:41 AM

Even when I was racing, I would have considered myself a career test and tuner. I started out street racing my 63 Dodge, when I was 16, with occasional trips to the track to test it out. When I was 18 and 19(52 now), I won back to back track championships bracket racing at Green Valley Dragway. This was before transbrakes and delay boxes. Even though I won a lot, I KNEW bracket racing was NOT what I wanted to do. It was boring to me. The 63 just became a quest to see how fast it would go. Then I backhalved it and never finished it...........A few years later, the GTX graduated from ISCA show winner, to more of a track car, although all I did was take it to the track to see how fast it would go. The small tire stuff got popular around here and we had several tracks that jumped in and we had a small tire heads up series at 5 tracks. I won that 3 years. I won the Big Dog series at Music City twice. The NMCA and HOT ROD stuff took off and my car fit perfectly. I then started chasing the points with the HOT ROD series and won the points championship in 96 and finished in the top ten every year until 2000. Then came a two year stint driving an IHRA alky funny car. Have not really raced a car of my own since then, although have driven many types for various people, including a couple blown Pro-Mods, over the years and have had this position with HOLLEY now for 10 years...........So career test and tuner and go as fast as you can guy, is a title I am perfectly happy with............LOL!!!

Bracket guys seem to get upset with me when I say I don't like bracket racing and find it boring. I can't help it........I didn't really even like it when I was doing it and was good at it. It was just the only thing to do around here, until I decided just to "play" and have fun. I come by it honestly though. My dad had a SS/GA Challenger that was a national record holder for a couple years. He loved class runoffs and cared little for the "eliminator". We traveled to smaller tracks every weekend that still ran SS "classes" on a weekly basis. A legit NHRA super stocker was a terror on the smaller track scale and he won, a LOT. As those car counts got low and those tracks moved to "eliminator" type racing, or just bracket racing......he parked the Challenger and it never went down the track again. So I guess I got the mentality from him. Go as fast as you can, beat the other guy.......he despised "breakout" racing and as I said, elected to quit instead of do it
Posted By: 383man

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 06:54 AM

I am basically a test & tune guy that also likes to race in the Nostalgic Superstock races when I can which is nowhere near as much as I would like. Since most NSS races are basically bracket races its easy for me and my car to fit the class. But I have to live within my means and money and health problems limit my dragstrip time to about once or twice a year right now. But I built my car as a street/strip car so I can take it out for a drive anytime I have gas in it. And I really enjoy driving my car to and from the track as I dont own a trailer. Back in the 70's and 80's I did bracket race and would go out most weekends in the good weather. I believe muscle cars were built to run hard alot and the drag strip is the legal place to run them hard which is where I run mine hard as I will not street race. I would race alot more if my health and funds would let me as I love drag racing. Ron

Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 07:15 AM

I started racing with some friends in 1984 and loved it.
We would go to MCIR and race cause it was a smaller track and it was more of a family atmosphere there. Had a couple wins but usually was happy if I made it past the 3rd round and got money back. We always went as a group, we went as often as we could, and stayed till everyone was out.
I like to TnT more but still like to compete at the mopar type events. I Won't do the track points races as I don't want to race that much or live at the track that much. It's a Hobby for us.
I raced till 2011 when I sold my race car to start my restoration on my A12 RR since I couldn't afford to do both, race a car and restore another. Janet still races the blue RR and I am her pit crew and transporter.
I DO miss racing some as I haven't raced since I sold the car in my sig photo.
I plan on racing the A12 some when it's done, probably next year
but still as a hobby. I am 51 and maybe when I retire I will get back into it more but not real serious. I have plans to build a blown hemi 36 Ply coupe street/strip car in a couple years. I am rounding up parts all the time.
David

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 07:18 AM

FWIW I am 50 years old and just became a grandpa! So we will be junior shopping in a few years for our Grandson KJ. I am sure that will be a whole new world for us. But looking forward to it already smile
Posted By: dagohman

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 07:33 AM

I clicked the T/N/T type. I don't have time to run every weekend, so I hit occasion test and tunes and occasional bracket races.
25 bucks, knock out 6 passes, load up.. grin

You need to add Just watches Screet Outlaws to the poll .lol stirthepot
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 12:47 PM

I'M SO CONFUSED.!!!!! panic

Chris... help
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:06 PM

Serious racer, test and tune, and fan.
Having a family crest that is Family Tradition Racing and having a Grandfather in the Texas Dragracer's Hall of Fame, along with growing up at the track with the majority of my family puts drag racing in a special place. At any given weekend I will either be at a IHRA/NHRA Divisional or National running Stock and Super Stock, or at a local bracket race or big money bracket race. I also like to get everything out of my combos because I am also a builder and tuner. With the Stock and Super Stock classes being a different animal if you aren't looking for extra ET all the time you will get passes up, but you also have to make it a reliable bracket car. I know a lot of people give the bracket races crap saying they are boring to watch, but they are the participation driven part of the sport. It's the type of racing that is supposed to get people into the sport.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By mikeysmopars
Need one in between active and test n tune. Our crew hits all the Mopar Events in Cali and Vegas as well as an occasional West coast/ANRA.

No points just do it for the Fame!
I would put you in the 1st category, active racer. Just not points.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Bob FWIW I would consider the activities you describe as an active racer.
I agree, you don't have to be the driver to be in the 1st category of active racing. Active builder, crew, etc.
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 03:40 PM

Just retired from Law enforcement. Going BB. Looking to be ready to go in 2016. Consider myself a T&Tuner. Sometimes I just like to get out there make a few passes and back to home to my wonderful supportive wife. If she hasnt went along. 66 and still tinkering.
Posted By: Challenger340

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 08:23 PM

Just build the engines nowadays.
Not that I wouldn't like to go back racing, just NO time !
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 08:30 PM

my tombstone will read
"worked himself to death to make everyone faster than he was"

or "working while others are racing"
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/06/15 11:45 PM

I clicked the T-N-T, I really wish I could race one of the series at Milan they have about 20 different ones to run. I built the car to be multipurpose ended up a much nicer car than I wanted. So it sits at home because its been real hard to drive on the street and I would just die if some dumbass ran into me. As some know I am slowly turning it back into a street pounder. The EFI is coming along as I am learning as much as the EFI is.
My son just picked up a 67 Belvedere 2 and my interests are now on him and his car, as I feel they should be.

My wife is not a fan of the race car thing or the track so its a lonely day for me at the track if my son cant make it. My wife likes new shiny cars that are fast, so I just might put the car up on the block get what I can for it and buy something new that she can enjoy as well.

But when I do get out I want to get the best and fastest 60 ft times as well as et's.

I am 47, Married with 3 great kids(1 in college, 1 getting ready to go next fall to school, and 1 sophomore in high school) that's my story

Someday the moons and stars will line up and I will get my dream.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 01:32 AM

Chased points in the 80's in super gas

On and off serious since then. Now serious about having fun, and trying stuff out. Have long since stopped playing the cruel joke on myself that I would ever amount to anything in racing.

Now, if it's not fun, I'M NOT INTERESTED.....

fun for me pretty much revolves around the motor. The rest is just support mechanisms for the engine.
Posted By: perfmachst

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 08:44 AM

hi, I guess, I'm racer? I don't chase points as much as I use to. I've ran brackets, NHRA stock eliminator. never had a local track to run for points at. I've ran div races and few national events. now, I pick and choose the race I want to go too. I started racing in 1965. been at it prob to long? thks. BTW , I'm 71 , lol
Posted By: skicker

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 12:56 PM

Chased points and title's in a dirt car for years. Won my fair share and have ran as many as 52 races in one season running w/ends only. runaway
Bailed on it all in 2004. boogie
50 years old now and haven't really went rounds at the strip since 1985. work
Maybe a former racer who's just a fan??? shruggy
If I WAS to bump my head and decide to do it again (maybe a little too old now) I'd go play in the mud... twocents
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 04:02 PM

Not sure what it's all worth??? I see you have already prioritized the list ( top to bottom ) by track time, etc.? Just looking at it at this time, it appears that there is a lot less hard core racers than I expected. Sign of the times? Personally, I put myself in the second category ( T&T ). I actually don't go to T&T as I race with the Arizona Drag Race Association ( for which I belong) when I go. The problem for me is since they closed one track in my area ( and it was ADRA's home track ), I have to travel much farther to make half the schedule. Did I mention track overload. Just can't do it, so I'm not in the points hunt anymore. I would venture to guess that is a problem for many, along with rising $ for the serious racer. My twocents

Attached picture MobyDick.jpg
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 05:18 PM

Although I haven't seen it lately, I enjoy the win light. That's my thrill. I want to get it tuned so it's happy, and go play, I checked racer.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 06:44 PM

I think there's a category missing from the poll: "Casual Racer". I think there's a lot of guys like me out there. I'm in my late 40's, have always loved cars, raced some when I was younger. Married, bought a house and had kids through my 30's and into my 40's. For the past 20 years, my life has revolved around them. but now the oldest is in College, and the youngest will be there next year. So, my time is becoming more of my own again and I am slowly getting back out to the track more. For the past few years its been a few TnT sessions and the Good-Guys race. This year it will be 3 races and the NW drag tour weekend. I hope to increase my track time over the next few years, and would like to eventually run 5 or 6 races a year. I've got a motorhome and a trailer, so I'm set up to have some fun. Last time out, my wife even said she had a fun time at the track, which really made me feel good! (didn't hurt that went 4 rounds in)

I wouldn't consider myself a "TnT guy", because I love going rounds more than just tuning. But I also cannot claim being an "active racer".
Posted By: 412 SB Duster

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 08:03 PM

We race every weekend running two different point series. and still find time for the some fun races also.

Al
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 09:03 PM

Our pulling season runs from late June to Early September. Usually an event each weekend. We pull all summer for points and talk/plan about the next season all Winter.
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/07/15 09:58 PM

I am a points chaser in NHRA Division7. I do a lot of T&T in an effort to get the car to run faster. There are a couple of stockers in my class on the west coast that have me covered. I keep trying to catch up to them. At least I am making a little progress.

Raul
Posted By: LSP

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/08/15 11:52 AM

Haven't been on the track for over 3 years now, car on jackstands getting a makeover and new motor combination. Spent a lot of time initially getting the car.motor ready for a heads up NMCA class that was cancelled, so I've been recovering from that $ituation. Not very interested in bracket racing or TNT, need a class with a performance standard/challenge to make it interesting/appealing to me. I figure NHRA Super Stock has been around for decades, so it isn't going to be cancelled anytime soon I hope lol, I'm prepping my car/motor for that.

Been working on a couple of NHRA Super Stock motors for friends last few years, which has been fun and challenging. That's the only reason I'm up this early, getting one ready for INDY.

Guess this makes me current motor guy/wanna-be racer guy lol.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/08/15 01:19 PM

In the UK we don't get the opportunity to race as much as you guys. However we race as much as we can, what we can fit around work etc etc. We race in the national championship but I'm more interested in getting the car to go quicker and the science involved, tracks are better and more consistent at national events. We race brackets, as we have no heads up class available for us. We do OK and have fun, sure we've broken stuff but we fix it with the credit card grin . I'm lucky to have a wife who enjoys racing like I do. There's many a time I've lost the race to see if we've sorted out an issue or we've been testing a tune up
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/08/15 01:56 PM

I race as often as I can for IHRA divisional points in Stock, local Stock/SS association races and an occasional Mopar and bracket race. But it's all limited by time, money and vacation time @ work. When I bracket raced since '78 through '99, twice a week was the norm. But getting older has contributed to a less hectic schedule too.

But it is my primary "vacation" time and social outlet. It's hard work that I enjoy. Met the best people at the races but most live far away. But I'll keep doing it as much as I can for as long as I can. As long as I can remain competitive, win some of the "investment" back and get a little help on the side, I'll keep at it. Can't rely on just my job to finance it. Hope to get my feet wet in NHRA Stock by the end of the year and see if that will be worthwhile.
Posted By: Jerry Kathe

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/08/15 02:24 PM

I guess I’m a hybrid racer, I haven’t chased local bracket points since 1986 and haven’t chased NHRA points since 2002. Each year seems to allow less opportunity to race due to higher priorities or work load in the shop. At this point in my life all I can afford is bracket racing, not that it disappoints me as it’s not easy and is always a challenge to pull down a “W”. Low ET means nothing to me, as a matter of a fact each of the last three dragsters have progressively slowed down due to additional weight and my lack of interest in spending money on HP. I have been using the same engine combinations in my bracket cars every year since 1999. I have been lucky that I have not broken anything, same heads, blocks and cranks – knock on wood – lol.

When I test there is always a dial in on the board (in other words- I don’t T&T) as its more educational for me to get the results in race mode other than just making laps and chasing ET. Being an older racer I can recall when you had to thrash and really study to find performance, now all you need is a cell phone and a credit card. That alone has pretty much killed any personal satisfaction in chasing ET – I simply cannot compete with that. I have been involved in just about every class from Pro Stock on down in some capacity, so I guess I have been blessed with a good experience in this sport and that allows me to be satisfied in what I’m currently doing, as it doesn’t break the bank and I enjoy the challenge.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/08/15 09:18 PM

Just waiting for Bill Hickok to call me that my car is ready. I guess I will die with some kind of car in the mix. Looking to be out at the next PSCA race in Vegas. If not that one then the PSCA race in Fontana two weeks later.
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/09/15 01:45 AM

A bracket racer. Currently fourth in points at my local track. Third place racer only leads me by 1 point. Not too bad for a 61 year old man driving a 48 year old car with a 20 year old engine.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/09/15 03:15 AM

Like Mike (mikeysmopars) said we hit the Mopar races, including MATS, plus some bracket stuff here and there. We always have a great time and drag as many people with us as we can and party it up biggrin Our closest track is Famoso and is about a 2 hour haul. I know there are others who travel much further but if we had a local track I'd race more. Me and some buddies have gone to SCSN in Vegas for 9 years straight but never taken a car. I think I want to try Triple Index at SCSN 11 this year and maybe get in on a little NMCA West sometime. The spring fling in Vegas looks like a blast too. We don't get in to money rounds often as we'd like but sure is nice when it happens. I'd love to race more just gotta make it happen. Sorry for rambling it's beer:30 here beer
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/09/15 05:49 PM

I will take a win light in competion over a new best any day. But the mechanical challenges are a draw for me too

The people you meet racing are another big reason to do it. If you are not having fun at the track, maybe you are the problem.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Poll: On how you see yourself in terms of racing.. - 08/11/15 11:30 PM

Made six passes this year and damaged another cam. Car is fixed but up on jackstands due to lack of funds.

Must be a lot of others in this situation because you see very little posting on this site about racing. Who won at the Mopar Nats? No race results from what I can see.

© 2024 Moparts Forums