Moparts

radial slicks

Posted By: deaks

radial slicks - 07/14/15 10:38 PM

I need a new set of slicks for my Dart and was thinking of trying a set of radials, i do around 70 passes a year at most with the car, i currently run 31x10.5 hoosiers. Would my car pick up any et with these ? and what would be the nearest size ?
Mick
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: radial slicks - 07/14/15 10:49 PM

I've tried radials on my Chally. Radials run faster, but I'm not good at making a car hook up. I have to stick with wrinkle walls.
Posted By: tex013

Re: radial slicks - 07/14/15 11:49 PM

Mick ,
you will have to go here for similar size -
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETDragRadial
Here for Pro bracket radials -
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=BracketRadial
Hoosier -
https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm
I don't think Hoosier will have your size

But remember your rag slicks grow and the radials don't , so gearing/trap rpm will be different . Suspension will also need adjustment .
I run a 275 Hoosier , never run a rag slick

Tex
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: radial slicks - 07/15/15 12:44 AM

You should see a tenth, more if you can run them with lots of air pressure. They will be good on a prepped track, but they have a reputation of either hooking or losing as much as .04 to .06 in 60 ft if they don't hook. Not much middle ground, they don't recover well. I saw a loss of at least .06 when mine wouldn't hook, but that was on an 8.80 car, 3,000 lbs. I was running 14.5 x 15 x 33 Mickeys
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: radial slicks - 07/15/15 01:00 AM

You'll probably get lots of different opinions on radial slicks.
My story - I bought a set of Hoosiers for a new build (64 NSS B-body/Caltracs/10.50 index) and couldn't be more pleased. I had to buy 9" wide because the wheel wells are stock. I've raced at several different tracks with different conditions without adjusting the Caltracs and have never had any issues. I like running the higher tire pressures. It seems like you have more stablity at speed. Like Tex013 said, getting the same size may be an issue.
Posted By: 383man

Re: radial slicks - 07/15/15 01:33 AM

Myself I love the 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slicks I use. I even drive on the street with them all the time. Dont know if they made my 63 any faster but they hook good for me all the time and I only use SS springs and an old set of the longer MP shocks. And mine is a street car that I even drive to the track many times. Ron

Posted By: deaks

Re: radial slicks - 07/15/15 08:31 PM

The nearest tyre size wise is the 30x10.5 C06, 29.7 dia, 94" circ, strangely enough the C07 in the same size is only 92" circ ? My 31" tyres are 97" circ and goes through the line at 6700, if the radials dont grow at the big end what sort of rpm will i be turning ?
Mick
Posted By: tex013

Re: radial slicks - 07/15/15 11:59 PM

more shruggy
will also depend on how much the current tyres grow
I guess using the Wallace calculator or similar input your current trap speed tyre size etc and confirm rpm then input the radial diameter with same speed and you will get the new rpm approximate . as long as its not too much higher and over revs/goes past cam

Tex
Posted By: vc360

Re: radial slicks - 07/17/15 11:40 PM

30x10.5 C07 radial slick is a great tire. It is actually smaller diameter by a bit than MT 29.5 et drag.
© 2024 Moparts Forums