Moparts

assembly lube

Posted By: mopar dave

assembly lube - 06/29/15 05:40 AM

what do you guys use for assembly lube. i'v used red line and royal purple in the past. whats the best stuff out there?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 05:56 AM

I use lubriplate 105 assembly lube on all the bearings, cam assembly lube on all the cam lobes and lifter (flat) faces and motor oil on the lifter bodies.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 06:24 AM

I use BG products on sides of pistons and all bearings. It looks like honey.
Posted By: skrews

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 08:36 AM

Joe Gibbs assembly lube on bearings and cam, break-in oil on pistons and rings. Plenty of good products out there, hard to go wrong with any of them.
Posted By: rebel

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 11:45 AM

each to their own but i've been using the same Royal Purple as you have. nothing wrong with that oil.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 04:27 PM

STP

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 04:37 PM

the red line is a paste and I really didn't care for it. I prefer a oil like the royal purple which I did like. i'v been reading wd40 for piston rings, no oil.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 04:43 PM

I'm using joe gibbs driven assembly lube this time around. It's a medium thick grease will stick where you put it. Summit has it cheap.

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 05:00 PM

i plan on using the joe gibbs breakin oil on the dyno. i'll take a look at that.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 05:18 PM

Torco.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 05:57 PM

Oil(the same oil that will be use in the motor) only on bearings,rings and pistons, rocxker shafts and any other part that gets lubricated from oil on it from the motor running up Cam lube only on bottom of lifters and on cam lobes with non roller cams up I do prelube the motors by priming the oil pump and spinning the motor on the starter before starting them also up
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 08:45 PM

Clevite bearing guard on most stuff like bearings, engine oil on the rest.

Brian
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 09:08 PM

Jason Pettis turned me on to Akerly&Childs assembly oil for piston skirts and rings and Torco MPZ for bearings and valve-train components and flat tappet cams..............
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 10:09 PM

i'v been reading wd40 for piston rings, no oil.

X2 - motor oil may delay ring seating.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Oil(the same oil that will be use in the motor) only on bearings,rings and pistons, rocxker shafts and any other part that gets lubricated from oil on it from the motor running up Cam lube only on bottom of lifters and on cam lobes with non roller cams up I do prelube the motors by priming the oil pump and spinning the motor on the starter before starting them also up

This is exactly how I do it also. I would add that the cam lube I use is whatever the cam company sends with it and if they don't send any I use STP on the foot.

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 10:23 PM

i'v heard of some using harley davidson straight 60 too. engine will be primed before start up.
Posted By: BradH

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 10:24 PM

I've used different stuff in the past, but my 452 bottom end went together with:
- Joe Gibbs assembly lube on crank & rod bearings and piston pins
- CMD assembly lube on rod bolts
- Total Seal AL4 piston & ring lube, plus their QuickSeat powder on the cylinder walls

Time will tell...
Posted By: Porter67

Re: assembly lube - 06/29/15 10:30 PM

WD40 on rings, std. oil on the bearings and high pressure red grease on the solid cams while checking and final lash-pre run, then cam lube.

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 05:37 AM

i ordered the joe gibbs assembly lube for something like $4. since i will be using their break in oil. thanks
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 08:04 AM

Torco
Never had any problem
EVER!
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 08:04 AM

Torco
Never had any problem
EVER!

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 04:12 PM

i haven't seen any failures using assembly lube. looks like brand doesn't matter. i just bought least expensive stuff i could find. don't think i'll go wrong with joe gibbs.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 04:55 PM

Sealed power- bearing guard. and oil on the rings and pistons
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: assembly lube - 07/01/15 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By BradH
I've used different stuff in the past, but my 452 bottom end went together with:
- Joe Gibbs assembly lube on crank & rod bearings and piston pins
- CMD assembly lube on rod bolts
- Total Seal AL4 piston & ring lube, plus their QuickSeat powder on the cylinder walls

Time will tell...
I used the Total Seal Quick Seat powder on my newest build (540 summer 2014). That had Total Seal AP series rings. That engine seemed to work out just fine. I did think rubbing that powder into the hone marks was odd, but it worked.

Many other builds I used WD-40 on the ring pack and cylinder walls, with a touch of motor oil on the piston skirts, and fine/thick assembly oil (Permatex red) on the piston pins and bearings.
© 2024 Moparts Forums