Moparts

520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno

Posted By: TonyS451

520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/25/15 09:37 PM

This has been almost two years in the making, but here we go. Dyno time scheduled for tonight !

Its a 440 based 520" stroker using a stock '68 440 block. +.030 4.375 Stroker kit is from 440 source w/30cc dished pistons. Heads are Indy EZ 295 CNC's finish prepped by Dwayne Porter, compression 10.5-1, cam is a Bullet Hydraulic Roller 252/258 @ .050, .622 lift with 1.6 Crane rockers, 110lsa, Indy Dual plane opened up to max wedge ports, Single line external oiling. 1000cfm Quick Fuel 4150.

This engine was originally intended to be used in a 1970 Super Bee with all steel and full interior, and everything that came from the factory including no cage, but that car is sold. I'm back to owning my old 65 Coronet wagon with a great running healthy 470, so I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with this engine at this point...

I will be sure to update (hopefully tomorrow)with dyno numbers and a pic or two. I'm not going to do any guesssing on HP. This dyno is un-happy, so I won't be expecting any magazine numbers, but I would be disappointed if it didn't crack the 600 mark.

Care to share your guesses??
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/25/15 09:57 PM

Best of luck and I am sure you will see your goal..
Posted By: GY3

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/25/15 10:01 PM

Interesting!

620hp
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/25/15 10:35 PM

That'll crack 700.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/25/15 10:53 PM

Hey Tony, always nice to get the engine up on the dyno and shake the cobwebs out. That is a nice combo that you have. It probably won't make a ton of power with the small cam but if you ever want to turn up the wick all you have to do is add some duration and lift and you'll have a real monster. Have fun!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 02:58 AM

I agree with Andy.
That is a small cam for 520 CID, but you have nice heads to make power. I look for lots of lower rpm torque and a wide power band. I don't know if the dual plane intake or the small cam will cut off the 5000+ rpm power first.

I still would have put more cam duration in it...
I like the saying, "CID eats cam duration for breakfast"
Posted By: 383man

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 03:16 AM

Good luck Tony. up Ron
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 04:23 AM

Congrats Tony
Everything you are ever involved in is top shelf. Good luck with the motor.
Posted By: PJ68RT

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 02:52 PM

My guess
675 Hp @ 5800
650 Tq @ 4300

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 03:10 PM

Thank for all the support guys. The dyno session went well and most importantly, nothing went wrong! The engine produced decent power and I do not feel disappointed at all. I knew I was leaving power on the table, but I feel for a Real street car, this engine will be perfect.

Peak HP - 655 @ 6000 (659 w a 1" 4 hole spacer)
Peak TQ - 618 $ 4700 (596 @ 3500)

Pics to follow

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By TonyS451
Thank for all the support guys. The dyno session went well and most importantly, nothing went wrong! The engine produced decent power and I do not feel disappointed at all. I knew I was leaving power on the table, but I feel for a Real street car, this engine will be perfect.

Pics to follow

Awesome!

Beast of a motor for a street car.

I wasn't too far off...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 04:28 PM

Pics to follow

Nice numbers...............what`s a real street car? shruggy

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 04:40 PM

Those are great numbers Tony, should be a monster on the street. If you ever want to go drag racing all you need to do is swap in a bigger solid roller and put a single plane intake on it and you'll have 750 hp without any trouble.

The chart in my book says 525 cubic inches with MW ports will have a torque peak at 4900 rpm so it looks like you're right on the money. 1300 rpm spread between torque peak and hp peak is pretty good.

That engine would run low 10's in a 3200 car that you could cruise to the track in.

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Pics to follow

Obviously an often debated topic, so I should have known better than to make that comment without an asterisk next to it. To ME, a real street car is a car that doesn't require climbing into a jungle gym, one that can jump onto the freeway at any time and cruise 50 miles without hesitation, nice idle, pump gas, doesn't need maintenance after ever drive, has most factory equipment still intact, full exhaust, street tires, tagged and drives to the track if raced. I think this engine would do well in a car like I described.

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 09:36 PM

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 09:39 PM

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Pics to follow

Obviously an often debated topic, so I should have known better than to make that comment without an asterisk next to it. To ME, a real street car is a car that doesn't require climbing into a jungle gym, one that can jump onto the freeway at any time and cruise 50 miles without hesitation, nice idle, pump gas, doesn't need maintenance after ever drive, has most factory equipment still intact, full exhaust, street tires, tagged and drives to the track if raced. I think this engine would do well in a car like I described.

Wasn`t looking to argue just curious about your version and I agree, just climbing over by door bar can be fun but that`s what I personally love................noise, burnt rubber and loud as hell............... punkrocka Enjoy, and nice numbers...... thumbs

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/26/15 10:51 PM

Looks really nice Tony and that cam did better than I thought it would. That engine would be a real handful in a street car. Probably blow the tires off of most anything.

The intake manifold vacuum is telling you that you need a bigger carb at WOT. If you were local I'd loan you my "true" 950 Holley just to see how it works. Most of those 1000 cfm carbs are actually an 850 venturi.

I'd also loan you a set of 2 inch dyno headers which would probably pick up the torque. 2.250 headers are huge for that engine.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/27/15 12:45 AM

I just looked at the torque curve...high and flat. Wow. Max numbers are cool, but put that engine in a car that hooks up, floor it and the engine just won't stop pulling until you get off the throttle.

If the heads are good enough, large duration cams aren't needed to crutch the airflow.

Andy's right, that engine needs a lot more carb. There's a lot more power hiding in that engine.

R.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/27/15 06:08 AM

Should be a blast to drive and my guess before I saw the sheet w that lift cam was 650ish...:)

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/27/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Looks really nice Tony and that cam did better than I thought it would. That engine would be a real handful in a street car. Probably blow the tires off of most anything.

The intake manifold vacuum is telling you that you need a bigger carb at WOT. If you were local I'd loan you my "true" 950 Holley just to see how it works. Most of those 1000 cfm carbs are actually an 850 venturi.

I'd also loan you a set of 2 inch dyno headers which would probably pick up the torque. 2.250 headers are huge for that engine.

I appreciate that, Andy. I've been telling my engine builder for years to get a set of 2" dyno headers, but it was either those super tubes or 1 3/4. If this engine ends up in my wagon I have 2" headers there. Thanks again for you advice along the way, not to mention some good parts you supplied!

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/27/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
I just looked at the torque curve...high and flat. Wow. Max numbers are cool, but put that engine in a car that hooks up, floor it and the engine just won't stop pulling until you get off the throttle.

If the heads are good enough, large duration cams aren't needed to crutch the airflow.

Andy's right, that engine needs a lot more carb. There's a lot more power hiding in that engine.

R.

Thanks and my engine builder thought the same thing. He had a dominator near by, but I thought against trying anything I would never actually use in a car. It gained four more peak hp using a 1" four hole spacer (659), but i don't even have the hood clearance for that so what's the point. We tried it for the heck if it. Of course 4 horses are hardly noticeable anyway except for the dyno sheet.
Posted By: StrokedDart

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/28/15 12:12 AM

Congrats Tony! Nice job! Glad to see you're still building some cool stuff.

John

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/28/15 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By StrokedDart

John

Thanks John. Don't have nearly as much time as I used to, but I'm still in the game!
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/28/15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By StrokedDart

John

Thanks John. Don't have nearly as much time as I used to, but I'm still in the game!

Cool stuff Tony. Thanks for posting.

I get that time thing.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/28/15 07:17 PM

Great numbers Tony! You'll be happy with that cam. I'm sure you'd want a bigger one in a max effort engine but you did the same thing I did and built a nice street cruiser. I have plenty of old 9 second time slips, I just want to drive my new Duster so I went with 500 inches of pump gas power, max wedge Eddy's, 557 lift cam, 1 3/4 headers, 3.55 gears etc. I figured I'd hate the camshaft but I don't, I love it! Very streetable and blows the tires off in any gear.
Enjoy your new motor!

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By ProSport
Great numbers Tony! You'll be happy with that cam. I'm sure you'd want a bigger one in a max effort engine but you did the same thing I did and built a nice street cruiser. I have plenty of old 9 second time slips, I just want to drive my new Duster so I went with 500 inches of pump gas power, max wedge Eddy's, 557 lift cam, 1 3/4 headers, 3.55 gears etc. I figured I'd hate the camshaft but I don't, I love it! Very streetable and blows the tires off in any gear.
Enjoy your new motor!

Very similar to what I'm building! 505" stroker with Source heads, Street Dominator intake, .557 cam and 10.5:1 CR. 2800 stall and 3.55 gears.

3287 lbs. for the car so it should be fun!

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Enjoy your new motor!

Very similar to what I'm building! 505" stroker with Source heads, Street Dominator intake, .557 cam and 10.5:1 CR. 2800 stall and 3.55 gears.

Great minds think alike! Did you guys call each other up first? Bob, cool that you've been there done that, and got the 9 sec slips to prove it. I have a handful of 10 second slips and a 10.02, but no 9's. Still on my to do list, just not the right time. You guys have a couple of killer street combos. That 557 cam may be an old design, but it works great.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 04:38 PM

I'd love to know the torque specs down low. I bet you are going to be really pleased with the manners and power of this motor up

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Enjoy your new motor!

Great minds think alike! Did you guys call each other up first? Bob, cool that you've been there done that, and got the 9 sec slips to prove it. I have a handful of 10 second slips and a 10.02, but no 9's. Still on my to do list, just not the right time. You guys have a couple of killer street combos. That 557 cam may be an old design, but it works great.

I wanted something that I could turn the key and drive anywhere on pump gas and perhaps do drag week in the next few years. That meant no roller cam and no roller rockers. Trying to keep it as simple and bulletproof as possible. If I need more power I'll give it a 150 shot of nitrous. smoke
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 06:23 PM

When you gonna have it out Tony?
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 07:08 PM

Wow, Nice Tony!!

So very close in all the specs to my "little" 517 Chapman Low deck Max. Sure, I got maybe a point more of CR and just a slightly bigger 264/268 @.050 Bullet HR....but you've got those 3 extra cubes! You got yourself a BEAST there, Tony!

You're gonna love it.

Well Done, Buddy!
Posted By: BradH

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/29/15 09:54 PM

Looks good, but I can't help wondering how different the dyno #s would have been with the expected 2" headers, instead of those 2.25" sewer pipes.

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/30/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
When you gonna have it out Tony?

Hopefully I will get it out later this summer. Not urgent since I still have my good running 470 in the wagon.

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/30/15 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By Streetwize
Wow, Nice Tony!!

So very close in all the specs to my "little" 517 Chapman Low deck Max. Sure, I got maybe a point more of CR and just a slightly bigger 264/268 @.050 Bullet HR....but you've got those 3 extra cubes! You got yourself a BEAST there, Tony!

You're gonna love it.

Well Done, Buddy!

Thanks Bobby, hope you don't mind me ripping off another one of your combos! That point of compression and couple steps up on the cam should be worth a good amount of power, but my 3 cubes should cover the difference 😄

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/30/15 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By BradH
Looks good, but I can't help wondering how different the dyno #s would have been with the expected 2" headers, instead of those 2.25" sewer pipes.

I'm thinking the same thing...one can only guess

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/30/15 03:44 AM

Quote:

LOL definitely very similar combos, I just wanted something fun and drivable, I really didn't expect the car to feel this powerful, it's a handful on street tires.
Tony you've had some nice cars and combo's so I'm sure this one will be just as good. up

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 06/30/15 08:49 PM

Quote:

LOL definitely very similar combos, I just wanted something fun and drivable, I really didn't expect the car to feel this powerful, it's a handful on street tires.
Tony you've had some nice cars and combo's so I'm sure this one will be just as good. up

Thank Bob, you've had some nice rides too Buddy. I've been around long enough to remember when you were a small block guy, but even that car was cool and fast. I think these new builds are a sign of us getting older, or dare I say more mature...

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 07/01/15 03:28 AM

For sure lol. I was just helping the current owner of my old 340 Scamp tonite with his torque converter slippage. I think it's been through 6 owners since I raced it lol, and it's slowed down a half second even with new upgrades such as a roller cam.
Posted By: BadMoonRacer

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 07/02/15 01:57 AM

Thank you for sharing your specs and dyno sheet Tony. Good numbers. This kind of info is helpful for guys like me who are thinking about going from 451 ci and breaking the 500 c.i. barrier on the next engine project.

Ragnar in Iceland

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 07/02/15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By BadMoonRacer
Thank you for sharing your specs and dyno sheet Tony. Good numbers. This kind of info is helpful for guys like me who are thinking about going from 451 ci and breaking the 500 c.i. barrier on the next engine project.

Ragnar in Iceland

Thanks and no problem at all. It may not be the combo for everyone, but should have some good street manners and shred the tires.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 520" Stroker finally ready for the dyno - 07/02/15 10:10 PM

Ought to be a lot of fun on the street!
© 2024 Moparts Forums