Moparts

leaf spring relocation kit

Posted By: dartphil

leaf spring relocation kit - 06/16/15 11:51 PM

I was just looking at the mopar spring relocation kits,and noticed the a-body kit is almost double the price of the b-body kit. What is the difference? Could I use the b-body kit on my a-body?
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 01:22 AM

The only difference I can of would be the diameter of the rear shackle bushings, .500 for A-bodies and .562 for B/E bodies.
Posted By: D-50

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 01:34 AM

There is nothing to it. I bought one for my Demon and after I got it I thought I wasted my money. On my 69 Valiant I just cut the frame notch and made my own box to weld in. I might have had $10 in it.
Posted By: D_C

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 01:39 AM

Not sure what justifies the price difference or what components differ.

In any event, This was the article I read before I welded in the MP kit on my car:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/springs.shtml

You might also take a look at the U.S. Car Tool Kit, same $199, but looks to be a better setup:

http://store.uscartool.com/mopar-a-body-spring-hanger-relocation-kit.html
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 02:13 AM

I am doing this right now on my Demon. I built my own boxes for long springs, bought Calverts spring perches(nice), and Afco sliders.

The factory spring mounts are not the most accurate layout and were designed for rubber bushings that could handle some misalignment. Do you want to use the factory mounts to locate your new stuff like the US Cartool stuff? If so that could be easier, just do yourself a favor and slip a rod through the spring holes from side to side to help line them up before you weld.
Posted By: D-50

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 02:24 AM

If you can weld the frame box in I do not see why you can't just build the box also and save the money. Just buy the spring mounts.
Posted By: jcc

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 02:28 AM

A body is the new E body stirthepot
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By D-50
If you can weld the frame box in I do not see why you can't just build the box also and save the money. Just buy the spring mounts.

Agreed.......................my friend built the baddest and thickest boxes I`ve ever seen and welded em in for me which tie right into my subframe connectors.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 06:49 PM

Made these from scratch, way less than the flimsy mopar kit. Going with sliders in back. Front of the box is welded right to frame connector as well as a tube crossmember.

Attached picture IMAG2911.jpg
Attached picture IMAG2921.jpg
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/17/15 06:51 PM

4x6 3/16 wall

Attached picture IMAG2914.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/18/15 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By johnnycuda
The only difference I can of would be the diameter of the rear shackle bushings, .500 for A-bodies and .562 for B/E bodies.

Caltrak uses a 1 inch spring eye In the rear spring!!

Attached picture 2.28.15 004.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/18/15 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
I am doing this right now on my Demon. I built my own boxes for long springs, bought Calverts spring perches(nice), and Afco sliders.

The factory spring mounts are not the most accurate layout and were designed for rubber bushings that could handle some misalignment. Do you want to use the factory mounts to locate your new stuff like the US Cartool stuff? If so that could be easier, just do yourself a favor and slip a rod through the spring holes from side to side to help line them up before you weld.

Save yourself some hassle,return the Affco and get the Caltrac sliders.They come with the right size bushings,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attached picture 4.7.15 005.jpg
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: leaf spring relocation kit - 06/18/15 07:32 AM

Save yourself some hassle,return the Affco and get the Caltrac sliders.They come with the right size bushings,,,,,,,,,,,, [/quote]

I just saw that Calvert was making a slider, earlier today looks nice. He set me up with the right bushings for the Afco sliders when I bought the springs a while back. Thanks for the heads up anyway Hemi-itis
© 2024 Moparts Forums