Moparts

Ok Who Index's there plugs?

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 07:19 PM

I would NOT be posting this thread,but the offer made by Domino1609 Rick Liuzzo made this possible. I just wanted to see, who does this. I my self never have. But that will soon change. I know this is worth the time, and effort. I also wanted to know who has the best kits (washers) that has plenty enough to do a engine, and has the correct variety of thickness washers...

Again
Thanks
Posted By: rebel

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 09:28 PM

i use to do this but did lots of back to back tests & found zero gain so i gave up this process.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 09:45 PM

I used to also, I only do it now when I am bored,,,but I did notice the car would idle better but it made Zero change down the track.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 09:47 PM

I have only done it on BBChevy engines with 15-1 pistons because you have to, otherwise they will get smacked by the pistons. Have never done it on a mopar engine.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 10:38 PM

I did it when I installed my new Edelbrock heads on my motor before I put them on since it was easier at that time. I have read from some people that say it doesnt make a difference and it might not but if the spark is pointing in the direction of the incoming gasses then it sure couldnt hurt
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 11:37 PM

always do
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 11:40 PM

waste of time unless you have clearance issues.
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/17/09 11:44 PM

I have no clearance issuses.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 12:25 AM

Quote:

i use to do this but did lots of back to back tests & found zero gain so i gave up this process.

We saw zero difference doing this, so we stopped and considered it a waste of time. Although I have heard other people swear by it.
Posted By: Domino1609

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 01:38 AM

Quote:

I would NOT be posting this thread,but the offer made by Domino1609 Rick Liuzzo made this possible. I just wanted to see, who does this. I my self never have. But that will soon change. I know this is worth the time, and effort. I also wanted to know who has the best kits (washers) that has plenty enough to do a engine, and has the correct variety of thickness washers...

Again
Thanks

For what its worth, and this is only our opinion.
Most of the engines that we are involved in MUST have their plugs indexed, it is not an option. We will do anything to get the CR up and a pocket to fit the electrode is not in the picture.Our motors are a royal pain because there is only about 12 deg total area that a plug will fit in each hole.
I almost dont want to admit buying cases and cases of race plugs because I would not use an index washer, all because it would lower the CR in that hole.
Yes I know................
Remember this was in our 785HP 299 CI single 750 carb W8 motor, I gave nothing up.
Even if they did fit and because we want to give the plug every chance we can to stay clean, and fire, I would do it.
In engines that have high cylinder pressure, very high RPM, a dome, are rolled a ton, or a combination of any of the above, it gets harder for the plug to fire, to me it makes good sense not to shroud it. It just depends on the application, and the owner.
You may do it and never see a performance gain, but way back when the Super Comp class started our Dragster with a mild 440, iron 906 heads, flat tops, flat tappet cam, two 750s, ran 830s all day like a clock, I did it in that.
Its just part of a package, part of a way of doing things.
If you have a flat top or dish piston, there is probably no real reason to index, but it does not take long, and it cant hurt.
I tell guys that do not want to spend a ton of time or money, just get them pointed up, as long as the electrode is not on the bottom, it is a help.

Rick
Posted By: BobR

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 03:52 AM

Unless it's to orient the plug for piston clearance it's a complete waste of time.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

I have only done it on BBChevy engines with 15-1 pistons because you have to, otherwise they will get smacked by the pistons. Have never done it on a mopar engine.

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 05:52 PM

Well
I am currently building a Hemi that has a pretty big dome on the piston. I will take the time with this engine to index the plugs.
Posted By: RobR

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 05:57 PM

I do ...
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/18/09 07:30 PM

Quote:

Same results and now I use the new Champion and they are side fire anyways.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Ok Who Index's there plugs? - 01/19/09 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's why i do it....

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums