Moparts

Old theories die hard in the mopar world...

Posted By: Hot 340

Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/05/15 10:33 PM

The other day I heard the one where you need to run two points higher compression with aluminum to make the same power as iron. It was like 1992 all over again.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/05/15 11:31 PM

The 509 cam is still the best.

The valves have to be in the "factory" location and the heads have to look like 906s or they're not Mopar heads.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/05/15 11:36 PM

Let's not forget the EXACT shade of engine paint or it isn't good enough!

And a camshaft with a splash of purple paint is just flat magic.

R.
Posted By: Project kickin A

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/05/15 11:59 PM

I gained 25hp buy blocking off the heat cross over.....
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:10 AM

So how much of a gap do you guys run on your pinion snubber?

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:31 AM

Anyone know where I can find one of them 340 Wedge motors? They made a lot more power than a plain ole 340.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:32 AM

Stock block small blocks break at 600hp
Posted By: GY3

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:38 AM

Bored out to a 505!
Posted By: Project kickin A

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:48 AM

Knew a guy with a 440 hemi !
Posted By: Brian

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 01:48 AM

340's rule, 360's drool
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By Smell Ya Later
The other day I heard the one where you need to run two points higher compression with aluminum to make the same power as iron. It was like 1992 all over again.
Don't know about the 2 points higher thing ( sounds a little - extravagant, but all else being equal, aluminum dissipates the heat faster than cast iron and HP is all about making heat - so ......... you can run more lead with aluminum ( if your motor like it - mine does ) and still stay out of detonation. beer
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:10 AM

I am so fed up with the old, I ditched my 3/4 race cam for a .750 race cam and really picked up.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:29 AM

A hemi is faster than a 455 buick.... stirthepot
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:51 AM

Still haven't had anyone snatch that gosh darned $20 bill off the dash yet...of course my car does make 1,200 HP according to Desktop Dyno.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
A hemi is faster than a 455 buick.... stirthepot

I was like 7 when that magazine came out. People are still fighting over it too! LOL
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 03:50 AM

Ported to the MAX.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:00 AM

The younger you are the less obvious the truth is.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By dustergirl340
Still haven't had anyone snatch that gosh darned $20 bill off the dash yet...of course my car does make 1,200 HP on Yellowbullet.

Fixed.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:14 AM

A guy told me that his buddy's car was fast it had a 4 bolt main 350 with double hump heads.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:32 AM

Just set total timing at x* and let initial fall where it may.

Yeah that's just great LOL
Posted By: skicker

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By jim sciortino
I am so fed up with the old, I ditched my 3/4 race cam for a .750 race cam and really picked up.

I used to tell them "Imagine how much better it would have ran if you had put the rest of it in" whistling
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:44 AM

Pretty much 99% of the tech on the Mopar world is antiquated along with the thinking of most Mopar owners.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Pretty much 99% of the tech on the Mopar world is antiquated along with the thinking of most Mopar owners.

Hey... my '47 Power Wagon has a 3/4 cam ground by Isky (true it is ground by Isky and true it is advertised as a 3/4 cam). That 231 flattie (original displacement, forget overbore displacement) now will pull till almost 3200 RPM or so. With overbore and head milling it is no doubt over 7.4 CR as well. Power is up from original 90 HP OE to at least 115.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 05:59 AM

All I can afford is hand me downs.

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By ahy

Hey... my '47 Power Wagon has a 3/4 cam ground by Isky (true it is ground by Isky and true it is advertised as a 3/4 cam). That 231 flattie (original displacement, forget overbore displacement) now will pull till almost 3200 RPM or so. With overbore and head milling it is no doubt over 7.4 CR as well. Power is up from original 90 HP OE to at least 115.

Smokin!

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 06:37 AM

wish I still had my mullet.....
Posted By: rebel

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 11:02 AM

them; what size engine is that?
me; 340
them; hemi or wedge?
Posted By: deaks

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
wish I still had my mullet.....

I wish i still had hair. Lol
Posted By: BradH

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:04 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!! panic
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:28 PM

You need high velocity ports!
Posted By: John_T_Brown

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 02:58 PM

!!THIS!!!
Glad I never listened to any of this crap!

What is the MOPAR Bible anyway?
Posted By: mike54

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 04:32 PM

so many old theories...many of those guys are lost in time...they try to adjust reality to their situation
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 05:49 PM

I almost forgot my pet peeve, "Ported and polished heads". Even though we have known for 20+ years that putting a mirror finish on an intake port is counterproductive, the term still exists.

Another, "Blueprinted engine". Yeah, right, you've got the blueprints or engineering drawings close by.....

R.

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/06/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt

I guess it depends on who's stating the "old theory"...

Darin Morgan: "Make no mistake, velocity is the primary variable in the design of the entire induction system. I often say that my job title should be Velocity Manager instead of Cylinder Head Designer. Air speed is 10 times more important than raw flow numbers. If you kill the velocity by 10 percent, you will kill almost 40 percent of the wave and ram energy that dynamically fills the cylinder! Raw airflow cfm is an important variable as well; it's just not as important. If you buy a cylinder head that is properly sized for a flow of 400 cfm and your engine is only asking for 350 cfm, you will not only fail to achieve the power potential that the 400 cfm would have given you, you will also fail to reach the power that the 350 cfm would have given you. That's because you killed all the air speed in the induction system. If your engine is asking for 350 cfm and you give it a properly sized cylinder head flowing 350 cfm, your airflow demand is matched and your air speed is matched. You then have a chance of achieving the power potential that 350 cfm can give you."

"How much power potential can 350 cfm give? Well, that depends on a host of variables such as engine speed, overall induction system design, and piston speed. To put it in basic terms, the less restriction you have in the induction system and the more freedom you have to attain increased engine speeds, the easier it is to extract the full potential of the 350 cfm available. Most people don't know how much airflow their engine is actually asking for! This leads to builders wanting to purchase cylinder heads with way more airflow than their engines can possibly use. The end result is a low air-speed induction system that can't properly fill the cylinder by means of dynamic inertia and harmonic supercharging, which means the engine will never reach its full power potential."

"That said, a good cylinder head port design will flow a lot of air for its valve size. The bad news is that a bad port design will flow just as much if not more air! Airflow alone won't tell you if a port design will reach its power potential with 100 percent certainty. Everyone knows that it's easy to compare two 23-degree small-block Chevy heads with 220cc ports. Just pick the one with the most flow, right? That's about all the average builder can do, and in a lot of cases it's hit-and-miss. There are multitudes of ways to achieve that 220ccs. You can have a big pushrod pinch section and a very small bowl area, or a huge bowl area and a super small pushrod pinch area. One 220cc port can actually be choked off at the pushrod, short-turn radius, or throat area, hurting top end power. Another 220cc port design can have too small of a bowl area and too large of a choke and hurt power and torque equally across the entire power range. Having extra airflow isn't always bad, but it can't come at the expense of air speed. The ports must be sized properly. The amount of air Pro Comp Eliminator engines are asking for are exactly how much the heads flow, and that's not a coincidence. People want to make cylinder head design simple, but it's not. It's very complex and interdependent on a massive amount of variables."
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 03:34 AM

An engine needs some backpressure on the exhaust to run right.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 03:40 AM

I really could care less about most of this new technology. I like my old stuff and if someone doesn't like the way I spend my money, they can buy my car and do what they want with it. Other than that I guess they can keep their yap shut about it.

Sheldon
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 03:57 AM

these heads are done by dick Landy
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 04:22 AM

So, the other day my refrigerator died, so I walk into Lowes and say; "Hey, ya got any 1954 Kelvinators in the back? I used to have one of those back in the day, and in the top part it would make water so cold it would get hard. They were the best" Danged if they don't still have them in the back for the Kelvinator enthusiasts. I bought two, just in case they ever stop making them.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 04:50 AM

You
Originally Posted By BradH

Darin Morgan: "Make no mistake, velocity is the primary variable in the design of the entire induction system. I often say that my job title should be Velocity Manager instead of Cylinder Head Designer. Air speed is 10 times more important than raw flow numbers. If you kill the velocity by 10 percent, you will kill almost 40 percent of the wave and ram energy that dynamically fills the cylinder! Raw airflow cfm is an important variable as well; it's just not as important. If you buy a cylinder head that is properly sized for a flow of 400 cfm and your engine is only asking for 350 cfm, you will not only fail to achieve the power potential that the 400 cfm would have given you, you will also fail to reach the power that the 350 cfm would have given you. That's because you killed all the air speed in the induction system. If your engine is asking for 350 cfm and you give it a properly sized cylinder head flowing 350 cfm, your airflow demand is matched and your air speed is matched. You then have a chance of achieving the power potential that 350 cfm can give you."

"How much power potential can 350 cfm give? Well, that depends on a host of variables such as engine speed, overall induction system design, and piston speed. To put it in basic terms, the less restriction you have in the induction system and the more freedom you have to attain increased engine speeds, the easier it is to extract the full potential of the 350 cfm available. Most people don't know how much airflow their engine is actually asking for! This leads to builders wanting to purchase cylinder heads with way more airflow than their engines can possibly use. The end result is a low air-speed induction system that can't properly fill the cylinder by means of dynamic inertia and harmonic supercharging, which means the engine will never reach its full power potential."

"That said, a good cylinder head port design will flow a lot of air for its valve size. The bad news is that a bad port design will flow just as much if not more air! Airflow alone won't tell you if a port design will reach its power potential with 100 percent certainty. Everyone knows that it's easy to compare two 23-degree small-block Chevy heads with 220cc ports. Just pick the one with the most flow, right? That's about all the average builder can do, and in a lot of cases it's hit-and-miss. There are multitudes of ways to achieve that 220ccs. You can have a big pushrod pinch section and a very small bowl area, or a huge bowl area and a super small pushrod pinch area. One 220cc port can actually be choked off at the pushrod, short-turn radius, or throat area, hurting top end power. Another 220cc port design can have too small of a bowl area and too large of a choke and hurt power and torque equally across the entire power range. Having extra airflow isn't always bad, but it can't come at the expense of air speed. The ports must be sized properly. The amount of air Pro Comp Eliminator engines are asking for are exactly how much the heads flow, and that's not a coincidence. People want to make cylinder head design simple, but it's not. It's very complex and interdependent on a massive amount of variables."

So why does my pump gas small block go faster then your high velocity big block?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:05 AM

the pinion angle thread proves that every time laugh2

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By dodgeboy11
An engine needs some backpressure on the exhaust to run right.

Actually that describes the Revolution engine on my V-Rod. Bought it with an aftermarket pipe and tuner. Went to stock pipes and it absolutely woke the bike up.

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Still haven't had anyone snatch that gosh darned $20 bill off the dash yet...of course my car does make 1,200 HP on Yellowbullet.

Fixed.
Originally Posted By slantzilla

Fixed.
grin
Posted By: skrews

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:22 AM

Gotta have X heads on your small block.

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:40 AM

"Thermoquad is the same as fuel injection." Yeah, I've heard that one a few times.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:56 AM

It's warmed over

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 05:58 AM

Heads have been "Hogged Out"
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 01:55 PM

My roller is centered on the valve tip, so my geometry is good.

I got custom length pushrods, so my geometry is good.

I didn't pay a lot for that part and it broke. It must be junk!
I paid a lot for that part and it broke. It has to be something else!

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 02:20 PM

You

Darin Morgan: "Make no mistake, velocity is the primary variable in the design of the entire induction system...

So why does my pump gas small block go faster then your high velocity big block?

You mean the 3700# 452 c.i., flat-tappet cam, pump-gas street car I drove from Virginia to race at E-town (about a 500 mile round trip) over the weekend and also raced at Cecil County on the drive up?

I have no idea, since we're obviously talking a total apples-to-apples comparison. realcrazy

And I'll aplogize in advance, but I still think Darin Morgan might know a little more about cylinder heads than you.

EDIT: On a less sarcastic note, I recognize that you can have a larger volume & better flowing head that has better velocity characteristics than a smaller & lower flowing head.

I'm hoping that the Victors that are replacing my old Stage VIs prove that out on the track, as well as flowing better across the lift curve on the flow bench. The CD #s (Coefficient of Discharge) values are better through the lift curve w/ the Victors, too. luck
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 04:41 PM

I can prove this theory by installing my Indy -1's and slowing my car down laugh2
Posted By: keefe

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
I really could care less about most of this new technology. I like my old stuff and if someone doesn't like the way I spend my money, they can buy my car and do what they want with it. Other than that I guess they can keep their yap shut about it.

Sheldon

True That... up
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 06:19 PM

Full race wheel covers, stroked radio antenna, and Fazzooolll Headers.
and lets not forget

Those parts "Bolt Right ON".........

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By keefe

Sheldon

True That... up

Keefe, this thread's all about you! grin
--> 906 heads - Check!
--> MP .509 cam - Check!
--> Super Stock springs - Check!

green
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 07:54 PM

No myths on this post that I can remember now to post about blush I have found that every BB Mopar that was raced at the track or dyno tested that I worked on like more air up It didn't seem to matter if it was from the carb. size, camshaft, exhaust system, heads or a combination of some of those listed or all of them work I have not managed to make less power or go slower by increasing the air flow and fuel supply shruggy Now, about them excellent Mopar brand Purple shaft street hemi grinds or any of the rest of those cams, have any of you found any of them that worked well whistling stirthepot smile
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 08:00 PM

Its kinda FUNNY how some guys knock the old stuff but 38 years ago I was running high 9's in my Duster with stock blocks, stock cranks, TRW pistons, and 906 heads and 38 years later some guys still can't run 9's with stroker engines and good heads. Makes you think, doesn't it???????????
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Its kinda FUNNY how some guys knock the old stuff but 38 years ago I was running high 9's in my Duster with stock blocks, stock cranks, TRW pistons, and 906 heads and 38 years later some guys still can't run 9's with stroker engines and good heads. Makes you think, doesn't it???????????

Some guys figure out how to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t, and others can't spell "cat" if you spot them "ca_". That's just something that's never going to change.
Posted By: ragin sonny

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 08:36 PM

I always ran the classic,440, trw 11.5 domes, 509, 906's tm7 850 dp. fast enough to hold its own against the competition of the day. now all that stuff is junk on this site
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 08:38 PM

Yeah, makes me think I should have you tune up my car drive
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/08/15 09:39 PM

So much resentment between mopar people, it's kind of sad. Especially since a bunch of it just revolves around slang terms thrown out there.

At least my anger is caused by other brands fans saying that mopars won't run if there is a cloud in the sky or rain in the 7 day forecast

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/09/15 01:06 AM

No real positive / polite response to that comment. At my age, I do take it some what personal. That's ok, at my age I am a whole lot less naïve than many ( already made those mistakes). Pretty fine line between technology and BS - at times.
Posted By: keefe

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/09/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By keefe

Sheldon

True That... up

Keefe, this thread's all about you! grin
--> 906 heads - Check!
--> MP .509 cam - Check!
--> Super Stock springs - Check!

green

Yes Sir....LOL smoke
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/09/15 01:31 AM

Yeah, you gotta quit messin w/them Racer Brown cams; they're old, they can't be good anymore.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Old theories die hard in the mopar world... - 05/09/15 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
No myths on this post that I can remember now to post about blush I have found that every BB Mopar that was raced at the track or dyno tested that I worked on like more air up It didn't seem to matter if it was from the carb. size, camshaft, exhaust system, heads or a combination of some of those listed or all of them work I have not managed to make less power or go slower by increasing the air flow and fuel supply shruggy Now, about them excellent Mopar brand Purple shaft street hemi grinds or any of the rest of those cams, have any of you found any of them that worked well whistling stirthepot smile
Not hard to understand.......as that is a big bore motor with a factory head that belongs on a small block. They have ALWAYS needed more air
© 2024 Moparts Forums