Moparts

Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ?

Posted By: Dartsport540

Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 01:48 AM

On my 727 trans, I have trans fluid that seeps out the threads of the front band adjuster. It seeps out the threads and thru the adjuster nut, then runs down the case.

I want to put some liquid Teflon tape on the threads. I don't remember if anything will fall out of place, if I pull the adjuster out of the case to spray it clean. So that I can put some liquid Teflon tape on the threads.

I am going to be doing this tomorrow morning. I have to pull the seat , shifter and part of the aluminum floor to get at it.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks...
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 01:57 AM

Pulling the adjuster will cause the band struts to fall out of place. Once this happens you will have to remove the ft pump to get it all back together.

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 02:39 AM

Can I get away with turning the adjuster out about 2 turns, spray it up with brake clean spray on the outside of the case and threads. Put some liquid Teflon on the threads and screw it back in.

Just wondering how far I can screw the adjuster out before the band strut falls out. I don't need the extra work.
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 03:00 AM

Two turns would be fine. The other way you could handle it would be to take adjuster but off only. Clean up around the adjuster screw and then put a small bead of silicon around the adjuster screw against the case and tighten the nut.

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 03:14 AM

Thanks, I will let you know how it works tomorrow, when I am all done. Should be good. I hate drips on the trailer floor.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 03:21 AM

see it all the time at work. Loosen the nut, run the adjuster out a couple turns, lil dab of gray rtv, adjust back it the same amount you turned it out, tighten the lock nut..... A=OK!
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 03:46 PM

They make washers that have an O-Ring inbedded in them....they work great for this purpose.

Howard
mrsmallblock
Posted By: jwilson 61

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 08:44 PM

You don't have to pull the Front Pump, Just the valve body if the strut and anchor fall out
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/04/15 10:54 PM

Quote:

see it all the time at work. Loosen the nut, run the adjuster out a couple turns, lil dab of gray rtv, adjust back it the same amount you turned it out, tighten the lock nut..... A=OK!

That's what I'd do or install a 1/2" Stat-O-Seal.

Attached picture 8480876-Stat-O-Seal.jpg

Re: Trans fluid seeping around front band adjuster thread ? - 04/05/15 02:01 AM

I pulled the seat and aluminum floor today. Removed lock nut, backed out adjuster some, sprayed with brake cleaner. Put a little gray silicone around threads, screwed back in , and tightened the lock nut.
I put it all back together, and let it dry while I did some other work. It should be good.
I loaded it in the trailer before I left. I will see if it is dry next weekend. Test and tune next weekend..
Thanks..
© 2024 Moparts Forums