Moparts

Hemi spark plugs

Posted By: MoparJunkie

Hemi spark plugs - 04/01/15 10:16 PM

Hey guys, finally getting ready to fire the hemi up and I want to know if NGK BP7ES plugs will be okay? 472 with eddy aluminum heads, 10.5 cr, with 587/564 hydraulic cam... They're 13/16 hex plugs just want to make sure the reach is correct?????
TIA
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/01/15 10:35 PM

I can't say as far as the heat range, but if it's the long reach (long threaded area) like this one pictured it should be correct.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/01/15 10:39 PM

What does Eddy say about he correct spark plug length? Follow thier directions
If they say to use a standard 426 Gen 2 spark plug type your golden with that plug as long as it is 3/4 reach I like and use the smaller 5/8 hex spark plugs now instead of the larger 13/16 OEM sizes
Posted By: mickm

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/01/15 10:51 PM

NGK BP6ES is what i've always used, and heard recommended by a number of hemi people. of course, that is a starting point. i've never tried other heat ranges. plugs look good, so no need, but
Posted By: super451b

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/02/15 02:44 AM

If your chambers have been worked/cnc'd , you may want to find a way to see exactly how long of a reach plug that you need. I have a set of BB RPM heads in the shop now that have had the chambers cnc'd and because of the material that was removed , the threads for standard .750 reach plug ,for that head, now protrude an 1/8" into the chamber. While I dont think that would cause any clearance issues, it will affect how well you plug will dissipate heat.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/02/15 03:06 AM

BR8ES
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/04/15 01:25 AM

Don't forget. If you switch to a 5/8ths plug, the wire set might not work. The 13/16ths plug is 1/4 inch taller.
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/04/15 03:11 AM

Rick, should I use the 5/8's or 13/16's??? I forgot what we discussed????
Posted By: Teamx

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/06/15 06:35 AM

Stick with the 13/16 plugs as they are the correct length for the plug boot. The 7 is a cold plug for your combo start with a 6 if its going to see a lot of idling you could even go with a 5.Dont forget to cut the washers off the plugs!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/08/15 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By super451b
If your chambers have been worked/cnc'd , you may want to find a way to see exactly how long of a reach plug that you need. I have a set of BB RPM heads in the shop now that have had the chambers cnc'd and because of the material that was removed , the threads for standard .750 reach plug ,for that head, now protrude an 1/8" into the chamber. While I dont think that would cause any clearance issues, it will affect how well you plug will dissipate heat.

So with the plugs sticking into the chamber 1/8 inch, do you just stack washers on the plug to correct the depth? Leaving them long , the threads will carbon up and either pull the treads upon removal or break off the plug. What's it going to be?
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Hemi spark plugs - 04/12/15 12:29 PM

i use autolites in my hemi 65's hot for drivin around 64's race on motor and 63's for the spray on pumpgas !!!!! hope this helps , they are cheap also like 14.94 for a set of 8 !!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums