Moparts

Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes

Posted By: slantman

Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 02:57 AM

I'm thinking of doing a disc brake conversion on my 63 Dodge, and am considering kit from either Wilwood or Aerospace. Any recommendations as to which would be the preferred kit to use?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:06 AM

I cant say about the Aero ones since I've never ran
them but I like my Wilwoods.. I have them on both of
my cars on all 4 on the race car.. on the fronts on
the Rampage
Posted By: GY3

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:09 AM

Can't comment on the Aerospace but did the Pro Street Wilwoods on my '63 Dodge. They bolted on to the drum spindles and work perfectly! I fitted a later Mopar master cylinder and 11" drums on the rear from a Chrysler 300.

Attached picture 8473980-IMG_20141028_113324-1.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:09 AM

I hear the Aerospace ones are nice, but never had a set....I have Wilwoods on all four corners of both of my cars with zero complaints...

Posted By: markz528

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:15 AM

Wilwood customer service is pathetic - I actually have other words for them that I can't use on this board.

Hardware is decent, but NEVER, NEVER AGAIN Wilwood for me..........
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:34 AM

I have wildwood's on the front & aerospace on the rear's. They were on the car when I bought it. No problem's with either. I'd say they are the same with different name's.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 04:43 AM

I know you didn't mention Strange but just put them in the front of the 64 Polara on 73 A body spindles. Parts were all well packaged and looked great. Install went well. Took 49 lbs off over the big rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. Stops pretty dog gone good. Worked great today in Vegas

Attached picture 8474084-20150327_123606_20150328_194532.jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 04:49 AM

I've had Wilwoods on the front of my 440 Demon for many years with no complaints. Take the time to shim the calipers corrctly and they will work great.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 04:57 AM

I'm still on the original pads on the front of the
race car.. the Wilwoods been on there 11 years and stopping
it from 152
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 05:43 AM

I am using Wilwoods on front and rear, and I would buy them again.

Mark

Attached picture 8474147-!cid_005801cd1863$700c5de0$9385C76C@MobileUnit1.jpg
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 06:19 AM

I have Wilwoods on my race car front and back, very happy with them. Both kits were bought used from Moparts members. I had a little trouble with the rears and had to shim them, so check the axle standout for your application.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 06:26 AM

Quote:

I know you didn't mention Strange but just put them in the front of the 64 Polara on 73 A body spindles. Parts were all well packaged and looked great. Install went well. Took 49 lbs off over the big rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. Stops pretty dog gone good. Worked great today in Vegas

I just noticed the Strange brake kits when looking on Dr Diff's website. I'm looking to improve the brake performance as well as lose some weight off my car. Currently it is 3760# as raced, so any weight reduction is welcomed. The Strange brakes seem a bit cheaper, I wonder how they would work on a have-ish race only car?

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 07:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just noticed the Strange brake kits when looking on Dr Diff's website. I'm looking to improve the brake performance as well as lose some weight off my car. Currently it is 3760# as raced, so any weight reduction is welcomed. The Strange brakes seem a bit cheaper, I wonder how they would work on a have-ish race only car?

Mine is 3740 with me and runs 10.30s & 129 in decent air. I have some street miles on them too. Noticably less drag when rotating wheel over the stock setup I had. Im pretty happy with them so far.

Attached picture 8474189-20150110_150634_20150328_222012.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 08:04 AM

Quote:

Glad I got to photobomb your picture! (Blue Duster) keeping it on topic I have wilwoods on the front. No probs. love em!
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 12:32 PM

I've got aerospace on all 4 corners of a drag car and have had no issues.

I really haven't heard anything bad about any of the offerings.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is 3740 with me and runs 10.30s & 129 in decent air. I have some street miles on them too. Noticably less drag when rotating wheel over the stock setup I had. Im pretty happy with them so far.

The reduction in drag is pretty apparent with any of the aftermarket kits. With my frontend in the air you can grab a wheel and it spins forever!

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Glad I got to photobomb your picture! (Blue Duster) keeping it on topic I have wilwoods on the front. No probs. love em!

Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 05:04 PM

Wilwood, front and rear, never any problems.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 03/29/15 08:12 PM

The only brakes we sell are Strange. EVER

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 09:07 AM

Thanks for all the responses. After looking at all the options, I decided to go with the Strange brakes, mainly because I can get them through Dr Diff.

One further question, these have the option for either soft pads or metallic pads. What would be best for a drag only car?

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 02:58 PM

Quote:

The only brakes we sell are Strange. EVER

Ben.. maybe you will know... but isnt the Strange
caliper built by Wilwood but with Strange name on them..
they sure look the same.. I have both
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 04:42 PM

The Wilwood calipers seem to be steel. From the pics.
Aerospace calipers are aluminum.
But I know nothing of the wilwood stuff. I have installed quite a few Aerospace calipers.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 04:54 PM

Quote:

The Wilwood calipers seem to be steel. From the pics.
Aerospace calipers are aluminum.
But I know nothing of the wilwood stuff. I have installed quite a few Aerospace calipers.

Wilwood calipers are aluminum.

I had to shave mine slightly to clear a set of wheels.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 06:19 PM

What rotor are you guys running the solid or vented ones. How much weight is saved over the factory stock disc brakes? Thanks.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 06:50 PM

Quote:

What rotor are you guys running the solid or vented ones. How much weight is saved over the factory stock disc brakes? Thanks.

Solid, vented rotors for street duty.

IIRC, 35 lbs. Per corner over drums.

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 06:52 PM

quote [What rotor are you guys running the solid or vented ones. How much weight is saved over the factory stock disc brakes? Thanks.]

I had the big 11.75? cordoba rotors, caliper bracket & calipers. The Strange kit took off 49 lbs The Strange rotor is a non vented one piece hat. Hubs are aluminum and come with timken bearings with races installed. Aluminum caliper brackets & aluminum 4 piston calipers. Mostly race, some street, stops great, car is 3740
Posted By: mshred

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 08:08 PM

Was gonna go with the Wilwood pro street kit for the front and rear of my scamp, but decided against it when I read on another forum that they drah significantly even after shimming the calipers properly...If im going to spend that kind of coin on brakes, I want them to actually be an improvement over what I already have.

I would go to Strange brakes since I hear nothing but good about them, but unfortunately with my car being a true street car I cant chance running non vented rotors on the street.

So I will just keep my stock junk for now

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/01/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

Was gonna go with the Wilwood pro street kit for the front and rear of my scamp, but decided against it when I read on another forum that they drah significantly even after shimming the calipers properly...If im going to spend that kind of coin on brakes, I want them to actually be an improvement over what I already have.

I would go to Strange brakes since I hear nothing but good about them, but unfortunately with my car being a true street car I cant chance running non vented rotors on the street.

Something was wrong, then.

After shimming to properly center the caliper on the rotor, mine don't drag at all!

Posted By: mshred

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/02/15 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Something was wrong, then.

After shimming to properly center the caliper on the rotor, mine don't drag at all!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074370

This isn't the only thread I saw saying this either
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/02/15 12:28 AM

This was brought up in a past post. My wildwood fronts were dragging even with new o-rings. I decided to polish 1 piston & discovered there were very fine machine marks on it. I buffed the piston on my compound wheel till the surface was like chrome. That was 5 yrs ago. Wheel still spins with no drag.
Posted By: Dyno1

Mark Williams - 04/02/15 12:56 AM

Remember, you get what you pay for. Mark Williams brakes are the best buy for your money. I saw a Superstock car go through the catch fence into the pea gravel at the Jegs Sportnationals in Belle Rose after his Wilwoods failed.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/02/15 12:59 AM

Quote:

I have Strange all the way around on our car, good luck with them and good customer service.

Bill
Posted By: tex013

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/02/15 01:51 AM

Slantman ,
I have fitted Wilwood to a 69 Roadrunner . got them through Jegs , they have dust boots on the pistons for street use and lower maintenance . Customer has them on his 34 Ford . Both stop great , the Roadrunner got drilled and slotted rotors and were a bit noisey for a couple of weeks till bedded in .
I know EBC do pads for the wilwoods in a couple of different compounds , Yellow and Red .
If you have a spare set EBC or QFM here in Aus can put different compounds on the backing plates - got quoted $90 from QFM
I have SSBC on my Satellite - I may have to try a different compound pad - or brake kit - as at 121+ it is taking a bit more to pull up

Tex
Posted By: BuckeyeBrawler

Re: Mark Williams - 04/02/15 06:05 PM

REALLY Failed how? What part? Maybe poor installation, improper master cylinder bore? Maybe junk brake lines. Nope HAD to be the Wilwoods! Go figure mine have worked fine on all four corners for last eleven years!

Re: Mark Williams - 04/02/15 06:19 PM

Quote:

REALLY Failed how? What part? Maybe poor installation, improper master cylinder bore? Maybe junk brake lines. Nope HAD to be the Wilwoods! Go figure mine have worked fine on all four corners for last eleven years!

Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: Mark Williams - 04/02/15 07:26 PM

Question for those running the Willwood street kit. Are you running the steel spacer that goes between the hub and the wheel? I just don't see the need for this thing but their directions are very specific that it MUST be used if the wheel mounting face is larger than the hub mounting facw...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Mark Williams - 04/02/15 07:42 PM

Mt experience with Wilwoods over the years ahs been they will eventually drag in most cases. IMO if you want the BEST then that's easy Lamb all the way, MW, Strange, Aerospace and Wilwood. But just my .02
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Wilwood vs Aerospace brakes - 04/02/15 08:57 PM

Quote:

My Dart has Strange disks on the front with slotted rotors. They were just a touch over 50 pounds lighter than the 73 disk set up I took off.

On the rear I have Wilwoods with the internal parking brake, they've been on for 10 years with no issues and still running the original pads.

Re: Mark Williams - 04/02/15 11:56 PM

Quote:

Question for those running the Willwood street kit. Are you running the steel spacer that goes between the hub and the wheel? I just don't see the need for this thing but their directions are very specific that it MUST be used if the wheel mounting face is larger than the hub mounting facw...

Hmmm, my Pro Street kit didn't come with that?

Is it to make it hub-centric?
Posted By: BIG DRAG

Re: Mark Williams - 04/03/15 01:17 AM

Nope, just like a wheel spacer. Made out of steel with a multi lug pattern. .200 thick... when did you buy your kit? It appears to be the same thing I have.

Re: Mark Williams - 04/03/15 01:20 AM

Quote:

Nope, just like a wheel spacer. Made out of steel with a multi lug pattern. .200 thick... when did you buy your kit? It appears to be the same thing I have.

As I recall, it was Mancini Racing. It was the kit for drum spindles.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Mark Williams - 04/03/15 01:34 AM

Fitted the spacer/shim on the 69 RR , car does have magnum rims .
I guess if it had smooth faced aluminium rim may not be needed
Tex
© 2024 Moparts Forums