Moparts

MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts

Posted By: blue_stocker

MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 05:59 PM

Curious if anybody on this forum KNOWS who made the late '80s-early '90s big block crankshafts for mopar performance? No speculations or guesses please, but true knowledge only... thanks.
Posted By: BradH

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 07:11 PM

From Muscle Motors Racing's (incredibly outdated) web site: "Fast forward to1992. Mopar Performance releases the 3.75 & 4.15 stroke crankshafts. While they are a little bit more money than a welded stroker, they are brand new and can be ordered off the shelf and into you hot little hands in days not weeks! Mopar decided on a 4.15 stroker crankshaft because it makes exactly 500” in a 440 block that is bored + .060. These stroker crankshafts were made by Norton Foundries. This was a company that was in Fostoria OH that made OEM production cranks for the big 3. These cranks could be purchased for around $1200 and once balanced could be dropped right in to a properly prepared 440 block . Due to Norton’s experience with the OEM’s they held very consistent bearing sizing (clearances). These consistent bearing tolerances made them very friendly to the end user."

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 10:53 PM

Thanks Brad, as usual, you seem to have the answers...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 10:58 PM

Interesting that if you do a Google search on Norton Foundries the only thing that turns up is the quote from Muscle Motors.

If such a foundry did exist within the last decade there would be some sort of digital footprint left behind. Maybe the info on the MM website is a typo?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 11:05 PM

I do know that MP had cranks built by Callies and
later Scat.. Scat is making them now.. but I dont
know when the changes came
Posted By: 440sourcedotcom

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/17/15 11:56 PM

Last we heard, (2003-2004) they were re-boxed $1200 Scat cranks.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 12:03 AM

My guess this is the place http://www.nsicrankshaft.com/

NSI Crankshaft (formerly Norton Manufacturing Company) is a world leader in the manufacturing of precision-machined crankshafts used in engines, pumps and compressors.

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 12:41 AM

Bet you're correct. Location is Fostoria so that matches up. Looks like they have the capability of building most anything. Nice looking pictures on their website.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 01:50 AM

Quote:

My guess this is the place http://www.nsicrankshaft.com/

NSI Crankshaft (formerly Norton Manufacturing Company) is a world leader in the manufacturing of precision-machined crankshafts used in engines, pumps and compressors.

"NSI Crankshaft, Fostoria, Ohio was established on October 22, 2008 after Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation acquired 100% of Norton Manufacturing’s assets. The acquired assets, and 200+ employees, have been producing crankshafts for over 20 years. Sumitomo’s intent is for NSI Crankshaft to continue machining crankshafts for the Automotive, Diesel, Oil & Gas, and Military markets long into the future. "

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 02:07 AM

Like Mike stated about Callies, I'd also heard some were produced by Kellogg, but as I just stated...hearsay. And so... the saga continues...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 02:17 AM

Quote:

Like Mike stated about Callies, I'd also heard some were produced by Kellogg, but as I just stated...hearsay.

When I was working I could see who made what and
the price Chrysler paid.. that was one of the systems
I was allowed in... I know at one time Callie did
supply cranks but I'll be damned if I remember the years
and I dont remember when Scat came on.. never had
a reason to remember that stuff
EDIT
that would have been the primary supplier but there
were others also if there was any problems at the
primary place

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 03:10 AM

I worked in large corporations for enough years to know that procurement departments don't single source much of anything if they can help it. They'll also re-bid the contracts on an annual basis if they can. Therefore there is rarely an actual "supplier" for a part. Might be a lead vendor, or a company that won the contract for the next 1000 parts or something like that. Not too much set in stone when it comes to Fortune 500 procurement.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 05:09 PM

I think Scat came on when they changed from the 1053 steel cranks to the 4340 steel cranks. I bought two of the old Hemi cranks in the MP Clearance sale around 2003. They changed part numbers then. Just a SWAG on my part [Insert legal disclaimer here].
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: MOPAR PERFORMANCE crankshafts - 03/18/15 05:15 PM

Quote:

I do know that MP had cranks built by Callies and
later Scat.. Scat is making them now.. but I dont
know when the changes came

Mid-late 90's Barton 493" build, was told it was Callies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums