Moparts

Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads

Posted By: GY3

Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 03:02 PM

Actually, all of their products in general.

I know they sometimes get a bad rap so I wanted to discuss my experiences.

Had their water pump and housing on the 906 headed 440 along with their upper pully, alternator bracket and oil pan/pickup. Everything fit perfectly and worked perfectly the first time with NO modifications and NO leaks. The engine stays at 190-195 degrees even after beating the snot out of it!

I did the Stealth head swap this weekend and it was VERY easy. NO pushrod clearance issues etc. like others have mentioned. These castings are less than a year old, though, so that may explain some of it. Very nice castings. We had a shop look them over and install new valve locks and springs just because.

I do plan on beating/driving this thing all over this summer to events and the dragstrip so if I have ANY problems I'll post them here.

Overall I'm impressed with their quality and fit/finish. I'm just happy to have a place that has good quality stuff that gets parts sent out in a timely manner! Makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

This winter I plan on slipping a new 512" stroker kit in the shortblock.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 03:48 PM

I have not had any problems with any of the parts I have got from them.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 04:40 PM

I bought a 512" stroker kit from them recently and had my machine shop check it out. They said there was nothing wrong with any of the parts and that the balance job was not absolutely perfect but not worth redoing. Everything else I got from them including a passenger drop water pump looks good. I just need to start bolting things together.
Posted By: moper

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 05:49 PM

Quote:

They said there was nothing wrong with any of the parts and that the balance job was not absolutely perfect but not worth redoing. /quote]

Yup - that's 'Source. Great Value . Not necesarilly the best quality as delivered.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 06:40 PM

I'm running Source stealth heads, Source head bolts, Source water pump & housing. All items bolted right on and have worked without issue through plenty of abuse. I'm thankful for 440-source.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They said there was nothing wrong with any of the parts and that the balance job was not absolutely perfect but not worth redoing. /quote]

Yup - that's 'Source. Great Value . Not necesarilly the best quality as delivered.

Reminds me of the old saying: "Good enough for government work..."
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 07:28 PM

My junk 498 440source ran 8.60's -8.90's for 276 passes in my Daytona. It is still going strong on the street for a friend of mine. If I ever get a chance to throw together their 512 assembly I have sitting here I can't wait to see what it will do
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 09:59 PM

No problems with my Stealth heads.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 10:52 PM

yep their stuff is ok by me , 2 sets of heads , waterpump and housing.
sometimes I think people are missing what they offer , stock and mild performance . Not all out race . Their price reflects this .
if I get to a stroker it will most likely be theirs .

Tex

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/17/15 11:29 PM

Quote:

yep their stuff is ok by me , 2 sets of heads , waterpump and housing.
sometimes I think people are missing what they offer , stock and mild performance . Not all out race . Their price reflects this .
if I get to a stroker it will most likely be theirs .

Tex

Exactly! My car is dual purpose as well and has to be stone reliable!
Posted By: gss

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:13 AM

So, what does your seat-of-the-pants dyno tell you after swapping heads?

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:17 AM

Quote:

So, what does your seat-of-the-pants dyno tell you after swapping heads?

Wasn't able to really get on it hard. Took it around the block and it was getting dark. The couple of blips I did get in, though, felt impressive!
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:20 AM

Easy on the 'government work' comment Brad. I was a machine tool rebuilder for almost 27 years and everything we did was spot on and better than most 'outside' jobbers. We didn't kill ourselves but we weren't slackers either and we did earn our keep until the POS politicians killed our DOD jobs in the 90s.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:25 AM

Quote:

Easy on the 'government work' comment Brad. I was a machine tool rebuilder for almost 27 years and everything we did was spot on and better than most 'outside' jobbers. We didn't kill ourselves but we weren't slackers either and we did earn our keep until the POS politicians killed our DOD jobs in the 90s.

either that or your jobs were shipped over seas....
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:48 AM

I'm happy with mine too.
Dan at Performance Only (RIP) told me he was very impressed with their quality while doing my build.
Miss you Dan .

Attached picture 8463480-image.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:55 AM

I use their 440Source 4.15 stoker kit in my 440 and its been working good for about 4 years. All the parts were decent as I only did some minor touch up on some and just had to fit the pistons pins which were a tad tight. I am very pleased with it. Its nice to see people post their positive results with the 440Source parts since some of the unhappy ones post about them. Ron
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 03:56 AM

The only way a machine shop will know if the crank is balanced correctly is to set everything up in the balancer and give it a spin (that is the hard, time consuming part of a balance job, drilling a tad more or a couple spot welds takes very little time), if your machine shop did all that and could not spend a few minutes more to correct the balance issue I would be looking for a new machine shop. I had a used rotating assembly checked to see if it was internal or external balance (and done correctly the first time), the guy I bought it from was not sure, they knocked $10 off a normal balance job and said it was because they still had to do the same set up and checking everything. Am I crazy or missing something?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 04:05 AM

Some shops will NEVER say another shop did a good job.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 05:14 AM

Quote:

I did the Stealth head swap this weekend and it was VERY easy. NO pushrod clearance issues etc. like others have mentioned.

Is this with 3/8" pushrods? Did you use the same length as you used with your 906 heads?

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 03/18/15 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did the Stealth head swap this weekend and it was VERY easy. NO pushrod clearance issues etc. like others have mentioned.

Is this with 3/8" pushrods? Did you use the same length as you used with your 906 heads?

Stock pushrods.

Yes, all the rocker gear/pushrods were the same as what I was using with the 906's.

I plan on upgrading to adjustable rockers (have some Crane iron rockers) and changing pushrods when I do the bottom end and install a solid lifter cam.

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 05/20/15 02:01 AM

I thought I would follow up with this thread.

I've put well over 500 miles on the car driving it everywhere and even taking it on some trips 50+miles one way out of town.

Runs on cheap pump gas, never gets over 190°, and is an absolute blast to drive!

I told a friend I was planning on upgrading to a stroker this winter as he saw me buying parts. He said "WHY?! It runs great the way it is!" shruggy

"High score" on the Speedview app on my phone so far is 128mph. runaway

The only problem I have now is excessive rear tire wear... laugh2
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Very happy with 440Source Stealth heads - 05/20/15 06:47 AM

hi ,

just finishing up a 496 with the source heads .

valve job was way off , intake seats were on back edge of valve ?

ex valve seats were wider than valve face ?

3/8 pushrods intake runners had to be clearanced rubbed hard on top of hole opening ?

springs checked good , threw away retainers and keepers .

some valves were bent and they ground and installed them anyway ?

cc varied 79.2 - 81.5

i check everything

just my luck i guess?
© 2024 Moparts Forums