Moparts

Rusty MSD distributor

Posted By: D-50

Rusty MSD distributor - 03/03/15 01:01 AM

I took my MSD distributor out yesterday and looked under the cap and it looks awful. The reluctor wheel is covered with rust. Would it be ok to take the shaft out of the distributor and sand blast the reluctor wheel.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/03/15 01:06 AM

Quote:

I took my MSD distributor out yesterday and looked under the cap and it looks awful. The reluctor wheel is covered with rust. Would it be ok to take the shaft out of the distributor and sand blast the reluctor wheel.

I have taken them apart and sanded the parts with
some 1000 grit... the wheel itself you can blast
but in my opinion thats the only part
EDIT
I open the cap about once a month and spray WD 40
in there and let it sit before I put the cap back on
Posted By: ademon

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/03/15 01:15 AM

Mine does that, I just hit it with a small wire brush and then lightly sand the tips with 1,000 grit paper. Also make sure you use some blue lock tight on the rotor screws mine were loose. Also the summit replacement cap works just as good as the MSD.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/03/15 04:00 AM

Quote:

I have disassembled MANY of them and glass beaded the reluctor. I
shield the shaft with rubber hose and masking tape. Dirt track cars' reluctors get raunchy real fast.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/04/15 02:10 AM

Would it be ok to paint the reluctor after it is sand blasted so it would not rust again quickly., of course I would sand the paint off the ends.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/04/15 02:23 AM

Quote:

Would it be ok to paint the reluctor after it is sand blasted so it would not rust again quickly., of course I would sand the paint off the ends.

Never gave that any thought. I don't think it would hurt anything,,but others may have different opinions. Some people say the rust doesn't really matter, but I never agreed to that either.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/04/15 02:24 AM

Quote:

I dont see any issue... the tips are what counts
Posted By: markz528

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/04/15 04:15 AM

Drill some holes in the cap for ventilation to stop the rusting.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/04/15 06:32 AM

Quote:

Drill some holes in the cap for ventilation to stop the rusting.

This is correct. Ozone is created from the spark in the cap, thus creating the rust. Drilling the holes will help alleviate the problem.
Posted By: MartyQ

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/05/15 02:04 PM

Were do you drill the holes and what size ? thanks !
Posted By: markz528

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/05/15 04:10 PM

Got this from Google but it is what we did with my cousin's car that had the same rusting problem as you. In addition, it was destroying his carbon electrode.

You should also vent the cap by drilling 2 - 1/4” holes 180 degrees across from each other midway up the cap between two of the poles. This will allow you to using the spinning of the rotor to draw fresh air through the cap and keep that ionizing of the collected moisture to a minimum. If this does not seem to work as well as we planned, drill an additional two holes at 90 degrees from the original holes.

See attachment

The rust or corrosion is a by product of moisture being trapped inside the cap and the high energy of the MSD ionizing that moisture. By venting the cap, we use the action of the rotor to continually draw fresh air through the cap keeping the moisture down to a minimum.

Thanks,
MSD Tech
Posted By: MartyQ

Re: Rusty MSD distributor - 03/08/15 02:41 AM

Thanks Mark!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums