Moparts

Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2)

Posted By: Hot 340

Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 02/28/15 11:15 PM

We got a new comp cam, small solid roller with no groove in the #4 journal. Is there a good reason why it isnt there? Or should I put it in?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 04:44 AM

I wouldn't put it in.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 06:34 AM

I make sure all my roller cam motors oil the rockers full time I will restrict them as needed Oiling the rockers full time helps a bunch on cooling the valve springs

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 07:09 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't put it in.

You wouldnt put the cam in or the groove in?

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 07:12 PM

Quote:

I make sure all my roller cam motors oil the rockers full time I will restrict them as needed Oiling the rockers full time helps a bunch on cooling the valve springs

Cab, why open it up just to restrict it back down? How do you restrict it? Carb jet tapped into galley somewhere?
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 07:17 PM

To maintain oil pressure to the bearings...

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 07:25 PM

Quote:

To maintain oil pressure to the bearings...

I get that. Im just asking why open it up to close it back off. Does not having the groove starve the valve train and grooving the cam over flood it?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 08:35 PM

Hence the jet to control the amount.

Sheldon
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't put it in.

Wouldn't put in a cam without the groove. Hemi's have the groove. Have had for 50 years. Let's not try to make this harder than it is. Hemi's have the groove. If your cam doesn't, have them make you one right.

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't put it in.

Wouldn't put in a cam without the groove. Hemi's have the groove. Have had for 50 years. Let's not try to make this harder than it is. Hemi's have the groove. If your cam doesn't, have them make you one right.

My thinking too. Thanks

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 10:40 PM

This cam DOES have oil holes through the #4. Did hemi cams use a combination of them both?
Posted By: cknight

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 10:55 PM

The 426 Hemi cams should have both the timed holes in #4 journal, and the groove. Regards, Chase
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/01/15 11:00 PM

Quote:

This cam DOES have oil holes through the #4. Did hemi cams use a combination of them both?

I've seen a old Crane solid roller cam that had both, that is where I got the idea of having all my solid roller cams grooved to oil the rockers full time To answer your other question on restricting the oil to the rocker shafts it depends on which type rocker arms your using and the oil weight and oil pressures in the motor as well as how well the heads drain the oil back to the oil pan On full roller rocker arms I'll use a .040 restrictor on each side, I drill and tap the oil passage in the block to use a #6x32 thread so I can use a #6 brass set screw with a allen head on one end and drill it to the size I want You can do the same thing in the head oil passage, which is easeir to change later On a bushed or non bushed(non roller rocker arm) rocker arm set up I'll start with a .080 oil hole in the set screw and see how that works on that motor The new replacement World Mopar iron blocks come with a .040 oil restrictor in them stock
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hemi #4 cam groove (GEN 2) - 03/02/15 08:51 PM

Quote:

Yes it should have both , take it to a machine shop and have the groove added , not a big deal.

But with that said , Hi RPM Hemis can suffer spinning rod bearings on the rods fed by #4 main. The better thing to do is the block the ports at the cam bearing and make it full time oiling in the lifter valley by feeding the oil passages to the head from the main galleys and then restricing the amount of oil to the head.
© 2024 Moparts Forums