Moparts

Beadlocks

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Beadlocks - 02/26/15 10:19 PM

Are there any drawbacks to running beadlocks? Thinking of sending out my rear wheels to have them done.

Jeff
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 10:36 PM

Weight...The wheels will gain a significant amount of weight with beadlocks. That is weight at the exact wrong place on a car. IMO it is a fashion statement by most people rarely a necessity.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 10:37 PM

The only drawback I've ever heard is extra rotating weight but I don't think that's much of an issue. I always wanted to try them just to stiffen the sidewall and have the ability to mount wheels at home easier. I just didn't know if a 9.90 car really needed them.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 11:00 PM

Well since there are a slew of cars in the 5 and 6 second zone running them you can decide if a 9.90 car needs them.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 11:05 PM

My car runs mid 8's and I dont use them. Just 12 screws per rim
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 11:38 PM

Quote:

Well since there are a slew of cars in the 5 and 6 second zone running them you can decide if a 9.90 car needs them.

A lot of those cars run "liners" though, because some classes require one or the other per rules.

Now, do most regular guys NEED them, not likely. Look cool......yes. make tires a breeze to change.......yes. Added weight......yes, but not much. Can they help......yes. They helped the 60fts on our car by stiffening the sidewall AND increasing sidewall life because of the same.

MacFab did ours and I wouldn't use anybody else. They are VERY true and pretty damn light.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Beadlocks - 02/26/15 11:45 PM

Quote:

Weight...The wheels will gain a significant amount of weight with beadlocks. That is weight at the exact wrong place on a car. IMO it is a fashion statement by most people rarely a necessity.

I resisted the beadlock wagon as I long as I could...But when we started approaching the 1.10 60' mark ours started moving 3-4" per pass and almost half a turn by the time the race was over...With drag radials you can't use screws and we glued ours with hi-tack and was Ok at 1.20 60'+ !!

Ironically my new Champion double beadlock Stripsters came in today

web page

Attached picture 8441910-Silverfishwheelsup2.jpg

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 01:10 AM

MacFab shows pricing on their website, is thst per wheel or a pair?

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 01:25 AM

Don't get me wrong they have a place for sure. We had them on the heads up car and the Stratus as them as they were mandatory in PS. But for the overwhelming majority they are eye candy.

He asked if there was a disadvantage and I pointed out the only big one I am aware of. Well possibly interference with the calipers as well, but that depends on whos bead locks, the backspacing and what caliper you have. We are NOT using them on the dragster we are just gluing the beads as we have on a few Outlaw 8.5 cars.

Generally prices given for beadlocks are per wheel.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 02:19 AM

I just went to the Mac Fab site. Based on what we have had done, those prices are for a "pair" of wheels.

We had beadlocked "Sanders" wheels and they had some serious run out. Tommy always told Chad "let me fix those damn wheels" and we never did it. They bring a trailer to the big races and do the conversions on site. At the fall SGMP race, Tommy just came over, got both sets of wheels and "fixed" them, while we had them off the car and nobody even noticed they were gone....LOL!!.....no charge. Couldn't argue with that......LOL!!!.....His locks are dead true, plus MUCH lighter than what we had before.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 02:39 AM

I just bought these for my regal, nicest and lightest.

Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:03 AM

Awe yeah...Mac Fab did these...

Attached picture 8442156-image.jpg

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:20 AM

Thanks for clearing the price info up Monte. Was a little bit of sticker shock compared to Champion and others.

Now my only other worry is I have 5.5" back spacing on the Pro5 wheels. Guess I will have to do some mockup.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks for clearing the price info up Monte. Was a little bit of sticker shock compared to Champion and others.

Now my only other worry is I have 5.5" back spacing on the Pro5 wheels. Guess I will have to do some mockup.

If you get the pro 5 wheels done post up some pics, I just ordered a set for the rear of my R/T

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:50 AM

Pro5's from Mac Fab's website.

Attached picture 8442230-IMG_0961.JPG

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:56 AM

Quote:

Those are SICK!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 03:57 AM

When I was looking for some wider wheels I ran across a pair of bead locks cheaper than screwed ones. I like eye candy and saving money

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 04:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Those are SICK!

You will like the Pro5's. Very well made wheel.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those are SICK!

They had a lot of good reviews online and from here so I ordered them especially when they had my size and backsace on clearance

Going to powder coat them matte blck with polished centers and beadlock them when I change tires next time.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those are SICK!

They had a lot of good reviews online and from here so I ordered them especially when they had my size and backsace on clearance

Going to powder coat them matte blck with polished centers and beadlock them when I change tires next time.

Was it Car Craft or HOT rod magazine that said black wheels were getting old.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those are SICK!

Was it Car Craft or HOT rod magazine that said black wheels were getting old.

I'm getting old too so it will be a perfect match

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 05:15 AM

Mac Fab has several styles of lock rings, so you are not limited to what everybody else has. Those Pro 5 are very similar to our Sanders wheels, which were a bit cheaper

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 05:20 AM

Quote:

Mac Fab has several styles of lock rings, so you are not limited to what everybody else has. Those Pro 5 are very similar to our Sanders wheels, which were a bit cheaper

I plan on going to Mac Fab as I like his quality of work and his ring selection is trick also.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 05:24 AM

Not a real good pic.........but ours are directional

Attached picture 8442327-10982237_945386432168410_2817735721259514925_n.jpg

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 07:09 AM

A question for someone in the know. There are double and single bead locks. I have the double, but with the singles, does the tire rotate and bunch up. Or do you have to have screws to hold the tire?

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 09:38 AM

Quote:

Not a real good pic.........but ours are directional

Yeah that is the "blade" style, i was digging that style and the "fast eddie" style. I need to go rob a liqour store
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 12:22 PM

Before.

After MacFab
Posted By: Tig

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 12:25 PM

Dependant upon the style and backspacing, it may not be possible to double beadlock certain wheels. Single beadlocks will need screws on the none beadlocked inner side. HTH's
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 04:02 PM

Not to hijack- but I've always wanted to try them in conjunction with radials on a stick car. Seems they would help with the side wall issues and I would think be faster. Just a thought.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 04:24 PM

My Champion eye candy

Attached picture 8442581-IMAG2724.jpg
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 06:51 PM

Here are the ones Champion just did for me. They are just single bead lock. We mounted and balances them our selves with a bubble balancer from Harbor Freight.

They charged like $540 including shipping. I had Jegs ship them directly to Champion. Their lead time is 2 weeks but mine arrived Tursday and they shipped them out in Friday.

Beautiful work, I was a little nervous since they were brand new from Billet Specialties as their polishing is awesome but you couldn't tell they weren't done by Billet Specialties themselves. They did an awesome job and very nice and helpful service!

I did it for looks and so I could mount and balance myself.

Attached picture 8442697-image.jpg
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 06:52 PM

On the car

Attached picture 8442698-image.jpg
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: Beadlocks - 02/27/15 07:13 PM

Very happy with the double beadlock conversion Champion did for me.

Attached picture 8442719-bead.jpg

Re: Beadlocks - 02/28/15 12:09 PM

Found this interesting on Mac Fabs site. Even with the extra weight, they have to be a couple pounds lighter then my current Weld Draglites.

Attached picture 8443550-mtpro5infoweightred.jpg
Posted By: onig

Re: Beadlocks - 02/28/15 03:22 PM

Beadlocks look totally awesome.
But looking at those MT beadlocks I would think that they would be using some form of automatic welding because those weld beads look like crap. From a large tire and wheel company I would expect much better quality.

Re: Beadlocks - 02/28/15 04:26 PM

Quote:

Beadlocks look totally awesome.
But looking at those MT beadlocks I would think that they would be using some form of automatic welding because those weld beads look like crap. From a large tire and wheel compancy I would expect much better quality.

Those welds were not done by M/T. When you get the double beadlocked Pro 5 wheels from M/T it is a 1 piece construction with no welds, I agree that those welds are ugly but MacFab has an awesome reputation for beadlock conversions and I wouldn't hesitate to have them do a set. The welds on my M/T wheels that Champion did are much nicer looking though
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Beadlocks - 02/28/15 04:41 PM

I did not see a reply as to wheather there is any DISadvantage to single's

Re: Beadlocks - 02/28/15 05:01 PM

Quote:

I did not see a reply as to wheather there is any DISadvantage to single's

Yes there is a disadvantage. The single beadlock will have much more clamping force on the bead than the side that has screws or glue, this will make the sidewalls wear unevenly and M/T and Weld wheels strongly discourage single beadlocks and they both consider them to be unsafe, however there are lots of guys getting away with the singles without issues
© 2024 Moparts Forums