Moparts

why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb?

Posted By: mopar dave

why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 05:56 PM

thought I had this figured out with the wiseco k0011b4 dome. wont work, made for standard head. gonna be custom deal with wiseco. mahle has nothing and a custom piston thru them is about $1600/set. diamond has nothing either. looking for something to make about 13.5:1 with a 4" stroke.
Posted By: skrews

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 06:14 PM

Ross and Icon have dome pistons for the SBM. Not sure if Icon has them for 4" stroke though.
Posted By: CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 06:19 PM

That's when you turn that rod journal to 2.100" and open up the vast world of SB Chevy piston/rod combos.
Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 08:44 PM

Quote:

thought I had this figured out with the wiseco k0011b4 dome. wont work, made for standard head. gonna be custom deal with wiseco. mahle has nothing and a custom piston thru them is about $1600/set. diamond has nothing either. looking for something to make about 13.5:1 with a 4" stroke.

What heads Do you have ???
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 09:27 PM

My Diamond flat top Came out to 13.8 w/55 cc head 4"stroke
Posted By: dartman366

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 09:34 PM

I have 13.0 with flat top's and a 59 cc chamber with a 4" stroke and Probe pistons
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/26/15 11:28 PM

This is kind of what I was going to say.

It seems with a little milling on some heads you can get tons of compresison.

And for what its worth, I just used a set of mahles for the first time in a stroker and was very impressed with what I saw, very light, very affordable (comes with rings for less than others did without) hard anodized over entir piston and teflon anti friction coating on the skirts....

I am building a 410 for my 99 RT dak and trying to figure out how to not end up with 12 to 1.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 02:33 AM

indy 360-1. to get 13.7 I would have to heavily mill head about .040" to get 54cc chamber. don't know if they can go that far.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 02:35 AM

what cc are the valve notches? most flat tops are 5cc.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 02:50 AM

mahle flat top was the piston I had in mind for the last few yrs, but would have to mill the crap out of my indy heads to get the compression I want. now looking at wiseco custom or CP with a dome.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 03:04 AM

I ran a dome cp... Thought they were great pistons

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 03:11 AM

Quote:

. With your w5s ?

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

. With your w5s ?

Yes

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 04:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

. With your w5s ?

Yes

do you have any pictures of those Pistons ??
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 06:25 AM

Quote:

Diamond and most others will build you whatever you want. You are only a chamber mold away from getting EXACTLY what you want

Monte

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 06:40 AM

I understand that. looking for a shelf piston. this is somewhat of a budget build if I can keep it that way. been told the diamonds are clunkers by a well known mopar shop in Detroit. the wiseco dome shelf piston for $553 was what I was looking for. bummer it wont work.
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 01:02 PM

Quote:

I understand that. looking for a shelf piston. this is somewhat of a budget build if I can keep it that way. been told the diamonds are clunkers by a well known mopar shop in Detroit. the wiseco dome shelf piston for $553 was what I was looking for. bummer it wont work.

Run far away from what ever shop said diamond was a clunker they are lost!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 01:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Run far away from what ever shop said diamond was a clunker they are lost!

lol no kidding

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 04:02 PM

thought I would put that out there to get others opinions on the comment. heres another of there comments, "girdles are for fat chicks"
I no longer use this shop

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 06:35 PM

if .040 is too heavy you need new heads.

A flat top gives you best flame travel, lightest piston, least surface area to absorb heat... if you can figure a way to make it happen you really should

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 06:55 PM

Oh and of all the shelf stock pistons diamond tend to be among the heaviest, other than that they are real nice pistons and we do use them, I am putting a set in my own 410 right now but they are the heaviest flat top I have used in a 4 inch SB.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 07:02 PM

Ck out the Comp Products "Broom Sheet" there is a set of JE pistons that might fit your needs.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 07:11 PM

If my desired compression ratio, came down to milling a new set of heads .040 or ponying up extra for custom pistons, that's a no brainer for me. I'm not cutting my head until I HAVE to. You can always cut, you can't put it back

Monte
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 07:15 PM

Quote:

thought I would put that out there to get others opinions on the comment. heres another of there comments, "girdles are for fat chicks"
I no longer use this shop

I know the shop also.. I quit using them.. as some others
have done

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 07:16 PM

I agree. don't want to cut heads to max as they will be up for sale on here in a few years. want to leave something for the next guy. they are going to Dwayne Welder tomorrow.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 07:18 PM

thanks i'll check that out.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/27/15 09:19 PM

Quote:

If my desired compression ratio, came down to milling a new set of heads .040 or ponying up extra for custom pistons, that's a no brainer for me. I'm not cutting my head until I HAVE to. You can always cut, you can't put it back

Monte

Exactly ...... Then you likely have to cut the intake as well , deck isnt as thick, more chance with 10 bolts pitching a head gasket.
Posted By: Ian

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 03:10 AM

check your email dave ,i was sure i dropped the piston in the indy hole

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 04:59 AM

yes, thanks Ian. pittsburghracer called vic at wiseco and set up a conversation for me with vic. turns out the shelf dome piston will work with the indy head, but the valve relief might not be quite big enough for a 2.100 intake valve and the 1.460 pin height may poke the piston out of the bore and vic says to keep piston below deck or 0 deck at most. I'm sold on the wiseco dome, so I think I may just do the custom piston thru flatlander. thanks pittsburghracer.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 05:05 AM

Quote:

yes, thanks Ian. pittsburghracer called vic at wiseco and set up a conversation for me with vic. turns out the shelf dome piston will work with the indy head, but the valve relief might not be quite big enough for a 2.100 intake valve and the 1.460 pin height may poke the piston out of the bore and vic says to keep piston below deck or 0 deck at most. I'm sold on the wiseco dome, so I think I may just do the custom piston thru flatlander. thanks pittsburghracer.

Glad I could help. Vic is a true blue Mopar guy just like we are.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 05:44 AM

Can you shoot me his email. He had a bunch of useful info. Told me call anytime or email anytime.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 05:53 AM

Quote:

Can you shoot me his email. He had a bunch of useful info. Told me call anytime or email anytime.

That I don't have because I either call him, message him on Facebook, or see him at the track.

Re: why so difficult to find dome pistons for sb? - 02/28/15 08:00 AM

no problem. he was telling me about some sb mopar engines out there using shorter rods instead of longer like everyone seems to go for. shorter rod draws harder on the cylinder head. told be a bunch of interesting concepts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums